News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Merchant-class garb?

Started by Tygrkat, May 26, 2013, 02:05:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tygrkat

What would be considered acceptable merchant-class garb? I'm going to be working at Sterling this summer (Huzzah!!  :) ) in the booth that sells hand-made drums, flutes, and ocarinas, and I'm responsible for my own garb. I usually dress noble when I go to Faire, and obviously that would not be appropriate for this situation.

The booth owner said she normally dresses with a bit of Middle Eastern influence, but the only requirements that she stipulated for me was that my garb be appropriate, and obviously nothing too fancy...Any Suggestions?

ETA: This will be my first summer working at Faire, so if anyone has any suggestions/tips in that regard, please feel free to share them as well (or link to the thread that already discusses this, that I may have missed ;) )
50% Endora, 50% Aunt Clara.

gem

Start by envisioning your current noble garb--but without all the fancy trims and embellishments. This portrait of a tailor by Moroni is an excellent example of a male merchant:

That was the first picture to come to mind, and Milord is ushering me off the computer, but it's a starting point! I'll track down some images of women when I come back. :)

isabelladangelo

Check out Campi for some fabulous paintings on what was worn in period.  As Gem suggested, the cuts of the clothing, overall, were similar to the noble garb, just less fancy materials and not as much trim.  Use lightweight wools and linen rather than silk or velvet.  Although you are working with musical instruments, an apron would be nice. 

You might also want to look at Flemish garb

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

Isabella gives good suggestions as to where to get ideas.

Most Merchant CLass clothing was simpler than Noble, no Farthingles underneath, though petticoats added more fullness to  overskirts. Linens and lighterweight wools weere common. Often, trims were made from contrasting fabrics to add some pizzaz to clothing that was otherwise plain.

I see that Lynn McMasters' site is down. SHe had a  lovely Middle class ensemble in lihtweight Grey and Black Wools that clearly  showed that Middle Class need not be poor looking.
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

Tygrkat

Thank you everyone for the information and suggestions ~ I knew I was asking the right people!  ;)

Linens or other lighter fabrics are definitely appealing to me ~ especially with how hot it can get during Sterling's run!!

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

It appears that Lynn McMasters' site is back up. Here is that Upper Middle Class ensemble that I was talking about.. Something similar to this would work well for someone playing a well situated Merchant.

Clothing well made, but nothing fancy in that the Merchant Class may have had money, but still could not afford the expensive fabrics of the  Nobility. But still dressed nicely.

Lady Rosalind

Quote from: gem on May 26, 2013, 03:19:07 PM
Start by envisioning your current noble garb--but without all the fancy trims and embellishments. This portrait of a tailor by Moroni is an excellent example of a male merchant:

That was the first picture to come to mind, and Milord is ushering me off the computer, but it's a starting point! I'll track down some images of women when I come back. :)

This photo is my historical crush!!!!  ;D

I love to see middle class and merchant class garb, as it is a nice change from muddy peasant/pirate, or richly dressed noble. If I had my way, I'd clothe all of our merchants in good, respectable merchantly garb. :)

If you are a shop assistant rather than owner, you would dress neatly, with simple trims, very little jewelry (maybe small earrings at most), and a big white square apron pinned to your skirts (which I always think looks cute!), hair properly covered. It really can be a darling look!

gem

Quote from: Lady Rosalind on May 30, 2013, 08:42:56 AM
I love to see middle class and merchant class garb... It really can be a darling look!
I think so, too! In my own garb, I kind of think this is the cutest thing ever, but Milord thinks it's "too prim." He prefers the slightly less buttoned-up Campi look that Isabella linked to. :)

Kat, if you're thinking of a historical ensemble, Ninya Mikhaila, author of The Tudor Tailor, has some wonderful examples on her website. This is one of my favorites:

...but you might feel overdressed compared to other vendors. I've never seen anyone at KCRF dressed like that (much to my sorrow!)... except the living history tailors last season. Garb vendors typically are decked out in elaborate ensembles from their shops, and the Fan Lady had a beautiful Moresca Mega dress.

A nice middle-ground between the wench look and the historically accurate merchant/shop assistant might be something like this. A simple skirt, not too much cleavage on display, hair respectably covered. Plus an apron! :)

You can also never go wrong with a kirtle--comfortable to wear and work in, easy to accessorize, and appropriate for all stations.

Can't wait to see what you put together!

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

Jsst keep in mind, the Middle Class women may  have worn small bumrolls, but they DID NOT wear Farthingales.  Petticoats, yes. The Farthingale was worn by Noblewomen.

Tygrkat

Thank you so much, Everyone,  for sharing your wealth of information!! This all gives me so much to contemplate!  :)

Lady Kathleen, the gown you shared from Lynn McMaster's site is indeed lovely, and I would love to wear it to Faire as a playtron, but I think that is a bit more 'look' than what I should be going for, both in regard to what the booth's owners expect of me, and because I'll most likely be dressing myself!

Isabella, I did quite like the Flemish dress, but I think that might be a little more complicated than I can handle on my own so early in the morning! *giggle*

Gem and Lady Rosalind, I agree that a proper hair covering with a simpler look is ADORABLE! I believe I'll be going that route ~ and I'll be sure to share pictures of what I come up with. I have neither the time, the patience, or the skill (at present) required to sew my own garb, but I have been searching ebay, etsy, and the thread here cataloging 'trusted sellers' for some ready-to-wear or easily customizable options. So far I've got a good lead on plain cotton bloomers (no chafing for these thighs, please!  ;) ) as well as some blouses/chemises...now that I have a better idea of what I'm looking for, I can start searching in earnest for the rest!   

Aderin

Quote from: Lady Kathleen of Olmsted on May 28, 2013, 01:36:03 AM
It appears that Lynn McMasters' site is back up. Here is that Upper Middle Class ensemble that I was talking about.. Something similar to this would work well for someone playing a well situated Merchant.

Clothing well made, but nothing fancy in that the Merchant Class may have had money, but still could not afford the expensive fabrics of the  Nobility. But still dressed nicely.

I LOVE this style, thanks for sharing!
"There is always hope." - Aragorn

Life is the School, Love is the Lesson.