News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Hand Sewing a Bodice

Started by Kiss-me-Kate, July 06, 2008, 11:56:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kiss-me-Kate

This is a dumb question, and I didn't find a similar thread but has anyone hand sewn a bodice?  How long did it take you?

I have free time during my lunch hour to sew, but obviously can't drag my machine to work everyday and set up there.

Do you think your handsewn bodice held up better (literally and figuratively) than a machine sewn one?
~ Notouchin' M'Crack
Pucker Up!

gem

Sealion is our hand sewing expert, so I hope she weighs in... but I've hand sewn a shift (chemise), and I will tell you that my hand-sewn seams are A LOT more secure than anything I've ever sewn by machine (I had to rip one entire side out, and it took *forever,* because I literally had to cut through every single stitch with the seam ripper)  I do them with a backstitch stitch (one stitch forward, one stitch back), so each stitch is essentially "locked" in place.  A running stitch (all stitches going forward) wouldn't be that secure.

The problem with hand-sewing a bodice is going to be the sheer amount of effort it will take to punch through all those layers.  It's going to be murder on your hands.

For reference, the shift took me ten weeks (although I couldn't tell you exactly how much time I spent on it at a pop, and I'm sure I didn't sew every day), and that was a knee-length garment with lots of long French seams (each seam is sewn twice), PLUS the one I had to rip out and then resew.  Twice. :D  In contrast, I can machine sew a reversible, fully-boned bodice in three days (working an hour or two a day).

Kiss-me-Kate

Thanks gem.  Perhaps I will machine sew what I can, and hand stitch the rest.

I always mean to sew french seams on skirts etc., and don't know why I don't.  It doesn't take that much more effort.  LOL
~ Notouchin' M'Crack
Pucker Up!

isabelladangelo

This page may help you:
http://www.extremecostuming.com/articles/theelizabethanseam.html

I've done one Italian dress and one 11th c dress by hand.  It really depends on the stitches you use and how good your hand sewing is.  The bodice to my Italian dress is still lovely (the skirt got water damaged so I took it apart and I'm using what I can of it for lining a pair of hanging sleeves).    The linen 11thc dress is wonderful. 

I think hand sewing also has a lot to do with the fabric as well.  Linen and most silks are pretty hardy and hand sewing them seems to work out pretty well.  However, rayon/silk velvet is a lot harder to hand sew.

sealion

I am not an hand sewing expert though I am flattered that Gem thinks I am. LOL
What I did for the bodice of the dress in my avi was sew the layers together (flat, not turned, construction) by machine then I did the binding around the edges and the lacing eyelets by hand.
Cindy/Ciana Leonardi di Firenze/Captain Cin

gem

Quote from: sealion on July 07, 2008, 11:08:30 AM
What I did for the bodice of the dress in my avi was sew the layers together (flat, not turned, construction) by machine then I did the binding around the edges and the lacing eyelets by hand.

I thought you sewed your daughter's Italian gown all by hand?  Did I hallucinate that?  (Don't worry, I'll still be amazed and impressed by you. :D)

sealion

Quote from: gem on July 07, 2008, 11:33:47 AM
Quote from: sealion on July 07, 2008, 11:08:30 AM

I thought you sewed your daughter's Italian gown all by hand?  Did I hallucinate that?  (Don't worry, I'll still be amazed and impressed by you. :D)
I did do most of it by hand but that was out of neccessity because I don't have a real sewing machine and, since it was my first project, I didn't use researched period techniques. I just muddled through and, thankfully, it came out okay. LOL
Cindy/Ciana Leonardi di Firenze/Captain Cin

captmarga

Quote from: Kiss-me-Kate on July 06, 2008, 11:56:18 PM
This is a dumb question, and I didn't find a similar thread but has anyone hand sewn a bodice?  How long did it take you?

I have free time during my lunch hour to sew, but obviously can't drag my machine to work everyday and set up there.

Do you think your handsewn bodice held up better (literally and figuratively) than a machine sewn one?

My husband's and my wedding outfits were entirely hand sewn.  I had about 100 hours of work in them.

We've worn them out to Faire on non-muddy days.  And letting them out/taking them up/other alterations were done entirely by hand as well.

Our daughter's matching outfit was done years later for a friend's wedding

http://www.shadowscastle.net/ourfamily_2.jpg

The dress uses 9 yards of material. I also made several of the outfits in our wedding - about 300 hours of work all told.

Capt Marga

Corp Capt Marga, Dame Den Mother, Scarborough Royal Guard.  Keeper of the Costume Closet.  Artist, Rennie, Etc, etc, etc

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

For seaming, machine sewing is quicker. I usually double stitch seams.

For adding linings, bias tape, etc, hand sewing can work just as well.
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

Baroness Doune

Kiss-me-Kate

Thanks KJ, I have skimmed the site, and so far I love it.
~ Notouchin' M'Crack
Pucker Up!