News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Faire: Should it be BAWDY or not or a mix? Ratings Systems for Acts?

Started by Cobaltblu, July 07, 2008, 12:51:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cobaltblu

Should faires be BAWDY or not or a mix?

How or are acts rated at different faires for BAWDINESS?

Personally I think it should be moderately BAWDY, however not explicitly BAWDY unless it is in an adults-only area perhaps.

I am totally opposed to a faire which is child-oriented with very little BAWDINESS.

Regarding rating systems I don't see a point since you can see and hear acts just by walking by or being fairly close to them and it would be near impossible to avoid all BAWDINESS unless all BAWDY acts were in one location of the faire or perhaps only in the morning in one section or in the afternoon in another section.

What do you think?

Regards,

CB
Click on my website icon on the left to view my photo album of garb and items.

Tipsy Gypsy

I much prefer bawdy. Heck, if I wanted to see a PC faire, I'd go to Disney! I  understand the need for a mix so families with impressionable young 'uns (and the thin-skinned) can attend, too, though. I do think it's a good idea when shows include a notice of adult/mature content.
"It's just water, officer, I swear. And yeast. And a little honey. How the alcohol got in, I have no idea!"

VIII

Iris and Rose of Wild and Thorny always make the announcement of "Adult's Only" and reiterate it especially if they see children.

According to them, very few people take their children out of the pub area.

Those that do usually only after the girls start singing.
Former King Henry VIII
Renaissance Magazine Issue #66 Cover Boy

Whistler Fred

I don't have an issue with "family friendly" shows that avoid bawdiness altogether.  Indeed, having a family myself  I appreciate the choice of taking my younger kids to a show where I don't have to explain things on the way home.  Of course, even this is conditional.  My kids and I have enjoyed the "Whose Time Is It Anyway?' at the Stronghold Olde English Faire, even though (or maybe because) it involves toilet paper jokes.

That being said, the Renaissance was a pretty bawdy time.  Any culture that could produce a Shakespeare or broadsides about "Watkin's Ale" couldn't claim itself to be wholly chaste.  To completely overlook this would miss an important element of the times in which many faires are set.

And I think a warning about shows with adult/mature content is completely appropriate.  Being moderately thin-skinned myself, I tend to avoid shows with explicit bawdiness, so I appreciate the advance warning.  
Whistler Fred (Lauritzen)

"Get ready for the Whistler.  I'll whistle along on the seventh day."  Ian Anderson

theChuck

i've always had the impression that the earlier faires were pretty bawdy times, especially after hours. i don't mind the bawdiness (?) of the faires, but i think if people are going to bring their kids, then they better know what they're getting into.
The Renlist - find faires near you!

Capt Gabriela Fullpepper

i'm all for bawdy and even clean. I do feel that if a show is even the slightest bit bawdy they should put a sign or advertise it as such for the parents of young ones. Now you cannot prevent them from coming to a show, but faire warning is fair warning (get it faire, fair lol)

It is up to the parents of the little ones to decied. Maybe even a recommened age limit depending on how bawdy the act is.
"The Metal Maiden"
To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody e

Valiss

Ultimately the faire is a business. As such it needs to appeal to a large audience to keep itself afloat.  To that end, I would suggest that a serious percentage of paying customers are families and probably expect family entertainment.  I have never seen a TV ad or newspapers article that would somehow imply to me that the faire is a place with naughty or questionable shows.  No, it is always marketed in the same vein as the State fair or local carnival. "Come get a turkey leg for dad and a pirate hat for the kids."

Now as a performer I certainly know that dirty/bawdy humor does happen, but I've never seen a show or heard a joke during an act that made me think "Oh my, they should have put up a warning first!"  No, most performers seem aware of the line and don't tend to cross it. Moreover, the little dirty jokes/comments are great for keeping the parents entertained while the kids are in awe of the juggler/swordsmen/etc. So I'm all for slipping in some dark humor or whatever in shows, but I wouldn't want or expect to see anything over PG-13, for example.  Nor would I expect an entire show to be nothing but tits and cursing.

That said, most faires I go to seem have two shows: the during-faire show and the after-hours show.  The after-hours shows I have seen have entailed everything from a dirty joke contest to a wet blouse contest.  And personally I think that is a great way to go: a show for the public that is family friendly and an open stage after-hours for the performers and staff. 

DonaCatalina

I think Scarborough has a good mix and they do a good job of telling people which shows are not recommended for children.
Honestly, I don't think Faire would be the same if everything had to be rated G for the kiddos.
There is a reason why the Disney Cruises had to add some adults only areas.
People like some variety and sometimes you just want to sit in a pub, have a pint and enjoy the show.
By definition, bars are not meant for small children, so why would anyone expect a bar show in a Faire
to be geared towards small children?

And then if every show was bawdy, that would get pretty old too.
For those people who are brining in their kids, they need some entertainment too,
just not in the pub.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

cowgrrl

Quote from: DonaCatalina on July 07, 2008, 03:43:48 PM
I think Scarborough has a good mix and they do a good job of telling people which shows are not recommended for children.
Honestly, I don't think Faire would be the same if everything had to be rated G for the kiddos.
There is a reason why the Disney Cruises had to add some adults only areas.
People like some variety and sometimes you just want to sit in a pub, have a pint and enjoy the show.
By definition, bars are not meant for small children, so why would anyone expect a bar show in a Faire
to be geared towards small children?

And then if every show was bawdy, that would get pretty old too.
For those people who are brining in their kids, they need some entertainment too,
just not in the pub.

I agree that Scarby does a good job.  I've also found the performers are happy to tell you if a show is appropriate or not before you take the time to bring the kids. 

As a parent, I don't mind the bawdier shows, I'd just like to be warned so I don't show up with my kids. 

Synikul

At my home fair, ORF, Cristophe The Insulter was asked never to return 2 years ago after Kroger, one of the big sponsers, decided he was too bawdy, and that made me mad. His performances were R rated, and only one of them was in a pub, most were in the streets. He would loudly warn everyone in the street that he was going to use adult language before he started, but a few minutes into it people who didn't hear the warning would wander up right about the time he'd be telling his victim that her nether region is so large that it could swallow a barstool, and that's my cleaned up version of it.

All the other shows were, and are, either clean enough for children, or the bawdiness is phrased in a way that it would go over the head of a young child. I miss having the ONE thoroughly adult act.

cowgrrl

Quote from: Synikul on July 08, 2008, 12:53:55 AM
At my home fair, ORF, Cristophe The Insulter was asked never to return 2 years ago after Kroger, one of the big sponsers, decided he was too bawdy, and that made me mad. His performances were R rated, and only one of them was in a pub, most were in the streets. He would loudly warn everyone in the street that he was going to use adult language before he started, but a few minutes into it people who didn't hear the warning would wander up right about the time he'd be telling his victim that her nether region is so large that it could swallow a barstool, and that's my cleaned up version of it. 

Honestly, as an adult, I wouldn't want to walk up on that either.  Why could they not provide him with a venue instead of having him wander the streets?

analise

I like the way MDRF does it. The information booth (right near the gate) has a list of shows deemed "family friendly" so those with small children know exactly which shows will definitely be appropriate for the little'uns. (I believe they're also marked on the website). That and most of the more explicitly naughty shows (like the O'Danny Girls) will take the time to say at the start of their show that they will be saying things you might not want your child to hear. Most of the other shows are sort of in the middle. They've got their moments, but I'm pretty sure it tends to fly over the heads of the kids.

Elinor Hakebourne

I think a mix is good, because a variety of patrons (and playtrons) should be catered to. However, there should be a warning in the program next to certain performers who do more bawdy material, so people can avoid it if they wish, or see it if they wish. (Personally, I'm in the "avoid" camp, for the most part.)

In other words, I pretty much agree with the previous sentiments that have been made ;)

Trillium

I like a good balance.  Personally, I'm not offended, but as the mother of a 5 year old, I appreciate the warning.  I already know what shows to avoid at TRF when I have my pirate with me, but it is smart to post a warning and announce it prior to starting.  If people choose to ignore the warning, then it's their own fault if they are offended.
Got faerie dust?

Captain Cornelius Howard Duckman

I like the shows that can balance. The ones that have jokes for the adults, and the kids laugh because everyone else is laughing, not cause they get it. Course, my faves Bocca Musica have their bawdy shows specifically marked, and have no compunction about shooeing away teenagers.

I've been to one faire where it felt like the bawdy had been completely removed, and, well, it just didn't feel like faire to me.