News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

So what exactly is this King Midas Masquarade Ball about???

Started by BarbarianQueen, November 06, 2013, 05:00:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PollyPoPo

TRF has a Facebook page up for the Masquerade Ball already. 

https://www.facebook.com/TexRenFestMasqueradeBall

No real prices yet.

Not renfaire themed - modern tech for entertainment (according to King's post on one of the FB pages - not sure which one)

Calls it a pavilion in a new garden area (guess they'll be putting in some greenery by next fall).

Age is 21 and up; categorized as nightclub.  Hours 8:00 pm to 2:00 pm Saturday night during faire.

Valet parking. 

Nothing yet on whether it will be part of the camping (i.e. require camping pass as well as festival ticket) or a separate entertainment venue.

Hopefully it will have its own privies, not having formally dressed people in elaborate evening wear costumes traipsing across to the flushies nearby. 

Perhaps they will relocate the camping entrance or create a new entrance for this nightclub. Perhaps that is why they have valet parking - to get the attendees to and from the Ball, yet separate from the camping. 

Looks interesting; they just have to figure out the logistics if they have not already.

Polly PoPo
(aka Grannie)

Tink

I'm hoping camping is a requirement to attend, because I am not looking forward to even more drunks on the road around here :/
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy. - W. Shakespeare

KiltedPrivateer

Quote from: Tink on November 11, 2013, 08:39:31 PM
I'm hoping camping is a requirement to attend, because I am not looking forward to even more drunks on the road around here :/

Agreed
Member of Clan Procrastination
Crew of the Procrastinator
Lover of Lady Kitara

BarbarianQueen

Quote from: Rennytom on November 10, 2013, 11:40:05 PM
If memory serves, Barbarian Queen, your costume would fit in just fine in LA (if that's you in your avatar).  I have a photo or two of you and your friend from last year in my TRF photo gallery.  Huzzah!

Hmmm.... People take photos of us all day, but I never really think of that photo being something somebody would keep and remember.  Are you one of the nice people who come up and say "Hi! Would you mind if I took a photo with/of you?", are one of those who stalk around after people, snapping photos "undercover" like they're getting away with something illegal? We see you, you know! (Fodder for another, whinier thread).

Well, at least I hope it's a GOOD photo.

PollyPoPo

More than once I've been trying to lean back or step aside from a camera so as to not block their view, and the camera follows me.  That's when I ask if they want me in the pix and find out they are trying to get my pix.  :)

I just love visitors from Japan.  Usually it's a group of college aged kids or a family, with multiple cameras.  Works out great because I can call them over to be in pix with me and they take turns taking pix.  I'm old, wrinkled, dough-boy soft, and apparently pretty approachable for strangers.  I do think there are some Mamas in Japan who will never let their daughters out of their sight again after seeing pix of the kind of people the girls met while at an American renfaire! :o
Polly PoPo
(aka Grannie)

Rennytom

Quote from: BarbarianQueen on November 12, 2013, 08:00:45 AM
Quote from: Rennytom on November 10, 2013, 11:40:05 PM
If memory serves, Barbarian Queen, your costume would fit in just fine in LA (if that's you in your avatar).  I have a photo or two of you and your friend from last year in my TRF photo gallery.  Huzzah!
Well, at least I hope it's a GOOD photo.

Oh, it is, Barbarian Queen, it is...
Would you like me to post them, so you can have a copy?

Sir Smithwick

I see problems with this venture right off the bat strickly looking at it from a marketing angle.   In my personal oppinion their are several problems that TRF will run into.  I would like to point out that I think they will build very nice venue for the Masquarade Ball.  Here are the problems that I see in no standing order:

1.  The hours:  8pm- 2am  I think this will cause problems because it will canaiblize the faire itself especially during the first 3-4 weekends depending on how the calender falls.   TRF wants its patrons to stay as late as possible to see the fire works make those last second purchases or get that last adult beverage.  If patrons stay late in faire how are they going to enjoy the Ball to the fullest?  By the time they get back to camp and freshing up or change grab it will be 9:30 or 10:00 at the earlest that patrons will attend.  That only leaves 4 hours of Ball to enjoy.  Not much time to enjoy for the money that they will be charging.    More to come as I gather my thoughts and try to put them in writing.   

BarbarianQueen

Sir Smithwick, agreed. I would think that going to the ball would require a massive costume change, and that adds another hour between.  And if the ball is a scripted one, can folks even arrive late?
I would dearly love it to be like something RennyTom describes - that looks like a blast!  We all need more fantasy in our lives, but I wonder at the ability of TRF to pull something like that off.

And Rennytom, I would like to have copies of the photos.  Are they something you can post here or on the photo thread?

Breandan

While I think putting it in "quiet" camping may seem to be an issue on the surface, as little use as that section is getting currently (at least until the trees grow to give some cover), I think that won't matter much. Logistical issues will crop up, to be sure, but honestly the money to build this might have been more wisely channeled into building a themed inn with 10-15 rooms and a tavern common room style restaurant and bar. This would have numerous benefits to TRF- 1) they could charge $200+ a night, and people would pay it for the fun of getting to stay indoors in a medieval/renaissance-themed hotel, maintaining immersion for the full weekend (hell, I'D pay to do that for at least one weekend a year, and you all know how loathe I am to fund George's excesses), not to mention extending the income from food and alcohol vendors beyond closing and out into the campground without losing oversight or legal controls, all of which would be a major revenue stream for the company. 2) Non-core-cast actors could make extra money working there, which would seriously boost the morale of those actors who get paid little or nothing to be at faire, which would in turn improve their loyalty and the quality of their performances. 3) It is something new, something I have never seen at any faire I am familiar with, and would be able to be showcased in detail all over Hel's creation (unlike the somewhat meh overhyping of the Masquerade with no real substance to the marketing hype), all of which would be both a marketing and PR coup. 4) Lastly, it'd add safe, secure and comfortable lodging on-site for people with disabilities who would be willing to shell out the money to not have to shuttle back to a hotel in Magnolia or Conroe.

Just my own $0.02
Author, bladesmith, and fuzzy teddybear.

"I've fought my wars and drank my mead in this life, the afterlife for me will be one endless renaissance festival with an old-school tabletop game store the size of a Costco next door ;D " - me

Laird Fraser of Lovatt

Quote from: Breandan on November 14, 2013, 02:16:00 AM
While I think putting it in "quiet" camping may seem to be an issue on the surface, as little use as that section is getting currently (at least until the trees grow to give some cover), I think that won't matter much. Logistical issues will crop up, to be sure, but honestly the money to build this might have been more wisely channeled into building a themed inn with 10-15 rooms and a tavern common room style restaurant and bar. This would have numerous benefits to TRF- 1) they could charge $200+ a night, and people would pay it for the fun of getting to stay indoors in a medieval/renaissance-themed hotel, maintaining immersion for the full weekend (hell, I'D pay to do that for at least one weekend a year, and you all know how loathe I am to fund George's excesses), not to mention extending the income from food and alcohol vendors beyond closing and out into the campground without losing oversight or legal controls, all of which would be a major revenue stream for the company. 2) Non-core-cast actors could make extra money working there, which would seriously boost the morale of those actors who get paid little or nothing to be at faire, which would in turn improve their loyalty and the quality of their performances. 3) It is something new, something I have never seen at any faire I am familiar with, and would be able to be showcased in detail all over Hel's creation (unlike the somewhat meh overhyping of the Masquerade with no real substance to the marketing hype), all of which would be both a marketing and PR coup. 4) Lastly, it'd add safe, secure and comfortable lodging on-site for people with disabilities who would be willing to shell out the money to not have to shuttle back to a hotel in Magnolia or Conroe.

Just my own $0.02

I would be down with this... Opening weekend with A/C... heaven.
Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh
Alba gu brath
Laird of Dunans Castle
Warrior Poet/Loki God

Merlin the Elder

Breandan, you sure do talk purty! Seriously, I've thought for quite some time that someone needed to do something like this. It would be the ONLY way I'd consider attending TRF again.
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Rennytom

Quote from: Merlin the Elder on November 14, 2013, 09:36:28 AM
Breandan, you sure do talk purty! Seriously, I've thought for quite some time that someone needed to do something like this. It would be the ONLY way I'd consider attending TRF again.

Wow, some strong words, Merlin!  Did you have some sort of bad experience at Texas Renfest?

Terre Albert

More information will be coming soon.  It's a party to celebrate our 40th year.  It will have completely different entertainment than TRF and yes we have visited TLOJ ball in
LA as our inspiration.  Quite camping will be reduced but based on the amount of land and it current use it will still be large enough.  Tickets will be affordable, food and drink included.  This will be the party of all parties.  Rules and a 3D rendering will be out in a few weeks.

BarbarianQueen

Quote from: Terre Albert on November 14, 2013, 06:57:02 PM
...and yes we have visited TLOJ ball in
LA as our inspiration. 

Yay!!!!  THat sounds AWESOME!

Quote from: Terre Albert on November 14, 2013, 06:57:02 PM
This will be the party of all parties.

The problem here is, just because everyone keeps SAYING that it will be the party to end all parties, doesn't make it so.
EVERYONE "official" just keeps saying this, but no reasons given.
O well, best be patient I guess and wait.

Merlin the Elder

Quote from: Rennytom on November 14, 2013, 06:34:39 PM
Quote from: Merlin the Elder on November 14, 2013, 09:36:28 AM

Wow, some strong words, Merlin!  Did you have some sort of bad experience at Texas Renfest?

I didn't mean for it to sound quite like that. No bad experience, but I want to keep it that way. With all due respect to those who enjoy the atmosphere that TRF now embodies (based on all the first-hand accounts I read here), it's not what my bride and I like about attending Ren faires. It is just our way. We all have different likes, and that is all it is. Not intended to pass disparaging remarks on TRF.
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...