News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Pick a Faire-related movie

Started by Valiss, July 16, 2008, 04:02:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valiss

If you had a friend that didn't know much (or anything) about faire and you could only suggest 1 movie to give them an idea of what they might expect, what movie would you have them watch?

PurpleDragon

Oh... Good Question Valiss, although I do notice that you have not listed a title yourself. Mayhap you cannot think of one either.
Karl "Dragon" Wolff
The Pirates Cove

Bin Ich SCHLECHT? Ja BIN Ich.

Valiss

Well in terms of what a faire might look like, I would say the scene from The Three Musketeers (I know, I know) where D'Artanian and Porthos meets looks like what faire looks like. 

Though I would not suggest that movie for costume ideas.  :)

So yeah, I need some ideas.

PurpleDragon

This sash was a gift to me from the Queen of America.
Karl "Dragon" Wolff
The Pirates Cove

Bin Ich SCHLECHT? Ja BIN Ich.

Amyj

Hmmm...I would say for a faire virgin, A Knights Tale is good...it gives a good representation of the joust and the faire like atmosphere...maybe Elizabeth I to give a look at some cool costumes...  These are just off the top of my head.  They are also movies that I think would get someone unaccustomed with faire excited.
I'm not fat, it's just that a skinny body couldn't hold ALL THIS PERSONALITY! ;)
Historically Accur-ISH

CatAshtrophy

The Princess Bride of course. It's got everything! Pirates, princes, peasants, and more. Faires likewise have so many great characters, cast and paytrons alike.

Valiss

Quote from: Amyj on July 16, 2008, 05:24:02 PM
Hmmm...I would say for a faire virgin, A Knights Tale is good...it gives a good representation of the joust and the faire like atmosphere...maybe Elizabeth I to give a look at some cool costumes...  These are just off the top of my head.  They are also movies that I think would get someone unaccustomed with faire excited.

To that end, I know many people that watch Braveheart as a "let's get pumped up for faire".  I just hope they leave the blue face paint at home.  :)

Valiss

Quote from: CatAshtrophy on July 16, 2008, 05:29:57 PM
The Princess Bride of course. It's got everything! Pirates, princes, peasants, and more. Faires likewise have so many great characters, cast and paytrons alike.

Brilliant!

Lady Amy of York

to learn about queen Elizabeth the  first  i would suggest the movie  Elizabeth R.   Hmm..to learn more about ren faires...hmmmmmm...that is  a good question.
   How about Monty Python and  the  Holy Grail !   Just kidding ! ;D
Lady Amy of York/CaptainAmy of FeistyLady pirateship
Cheiftess Feisty of Clan O' Doinn
HF:Sterling

Cobaltblu

A movie called "Timeline" made in 2003.  It is about a group of archaeologists who go back in time to save their professor.

Also a movie called "Black Knight" with Martin Lawrence.

And yes also Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

Regards,

CB
Click on my website icon on the left to view my photo album of garb and items.

Captain Cornelius Howard Duckman

The Gamers. Those guys are SO rennies.

Friar Rohn the Chronicler

A classic old movie that I always loved was one called "LadyHawke" made in 1985. It's kinda' a mixture of Medieval and Fantasy with Matthew Broderick and Rutger Hauer. Good fight scenes, loved the soundtrack.

My other favorite is not a movie but a television series on Showtime called "The Tudors". Been watching that one for the last couple of years. The sets and period clothing are top notch. Acting is good, storyline does not completely follow actual historical events perfectly since it compacts some of the characters into a single person. It does give the viewer a general idea of Renaissance royals and the background backstabbing involved to keep in the King's good graces. It follows the life of Henry VIII from his early 20's and it seems to me the storyline is basing itself on each of his 6 wives and his inability to produce a male heir to the throne. Events covered are the Black Death, the split from the Catholic Church, the beginnings of the Protestant Reformation, and Anne Boleyn's rise and eventual execution.

There are some very adult scenes since it's Showtime. If you love seeing period clothing styles and getting ideas for your Ren Faires.....this is a good source. We used it as a source to design a couple of new suits for my nephew. Many of the Ren merchant sites now carry a licensed line of clothes and accessories from the show.  

Friar Rohn

Al-Nimer

I think we own all of the films mentioned  ;D
Another one that I thought of was "The Lost Princess".  Although not specifically a period film, it was filmed entirely on location at Scarborough Faire.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - Adam, Mythbusters

Bugsy

I know it says pick a movie, but being at the faire (ORF, anyway) kind of reminds me of Zelda Ocarina of Time.  That village ..... Kokorika (sp?).  I don't know why, it just does  :)
Elvish dragonfly
Castleteer
Bugs'n M'Crack Clan O'Maille
sister of Lady Pegos

theChuck

Quote from: Bugsey on July 16, 2008, 11:04:50 PM
I know it says pick a movie, but being at the faire (ORF, anyway) kind of reminds me of Zelda Ocarina of Time.  That village ..... Kokorika (sp?).  I don't know why, it just does  :)

kakariko.

and i know what you mean - in twilight princess, the town has a sort of faire feel to it.
The Renlist - find faires near you!