News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Getting Ready For Faire. What do you do?

Started by Will Gamwell, July 22, 2008, 09:54:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kiss-me-Kate

Quote from: Merlin the Elder on April 27, 2012, 04:23:14 PM
Yeah, yeah, Iain! I suppose you had to walk to school in the snow every day...uphill...both ways...  ;)

Arkansas weather is even harder to predict. We used to sacrifice virgins for our forecasts.  There aren't any virgins left, so we have no idea what weather is going to be from one day to the next...

{{ does everyone have their hip-boots handy for all the B.S. being shoveled into this thread? }}  ::)
Uh, We are in Minnesota, we have you all beat.   It can go from a lovely 80 degree, sunny day to snowing/glare ice/ blizzard conditions by dusk.     Or, it can 105 with 95% humidity. The entire. Freaking. Summer.   Mother Nature has a wicked sense of humor.
I make a list of every possible silly thing we might need.  No matter how silly.  It has saved my tukus a few times. 

~ Notouchin' M'Crack
Pucker Up!

LadyFae

Oh yes, we learned the hard way one year- Giggles and I went with my girls (just two of them at the time) and we were dressed as fairies- the forecast called for a beautiful day!  I live an hour away from Fest, it was nice at my house when we left that morning!  However, it was cold and windy on the Festival grounds- well, depending on where you were!  Some spots were warm(ish) and sunny, others, not so much.  We were NOT prepared that day! 
Oh, and last year, when I brought my parents on our "unofficial" pirate weekend, I made cloaks for myself and my girls but then left them in a booth (yours, Kate!) because we got so hot.  That only lasted until we walked to the far side of the grounds, then we were freezing and no warm cloaks to be had!  Yeah, on any given day just walking the 22 acres of Festival grounds can bring on a wide variety of weather situations in MN.  I have to remember to remember that!   :-\
Amanda  =D

"Do not call for your mother.  Who is it that you think let the demons in to eat you up?"

scarletnyx

First, I have to get mentally psyched. I watch all the typical renfaire/fantasy movies ( LOTR, Conan, Krull, ect ) while I start to clean the house and make things neat around a few days before fair. Our home fair is right down the road, so I feel less of a pressure than say if we were going to camp at TRF ( Which we will be doing this year... So I am preparing for a huge freakout! ).

Then, once the floors are vacuumed and everything is scrubbed and lemony-fresh, I start to pull our garb and all of our trappings out. Now, throughout the period between fairs we will usually take all of our stuff out once, inspect it, and then put it back, so this final time is just really to look at it, squeal, and put it in our watertight/dirttight see through containers. Right now, we are a poor newly married couple so we really only bring bottles of water for the heat and the typical toiletries, along with a firepit and our tent ( hopefully soon we will have a camp stove and a few extras we want ).

Everything gets put into our large tupperware bins, slid into the back of the truck, and off we go!
2013 RenNado Survivor
Phoenix Risen