News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Question about puffed paned sleeves

Started by gem, July 25, 2014, 12:37:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gem

I'm making the English Fitted Gown from Tudor Tailor, and have mocked up the puffed, paned sleeve option.

So far so good, except that the instructions indicate that the panes need to be cartridge pleated or gathered to fit... which would suggest that they should be LARGER than the area you're gathering them to, right? Well, but:

Is it possible that the panes aren't meant to go all the way around the arm, that they should only sit along the sleeve cap, like the wings on a doublet? I can't find any indication of this in the instructions, or marks thereto on the pattern, but perhaps this is obvious to most people? (Genoveva does mention this in her paned sleeve tutorial.) Otherwise, it looks like I'm missing a couple of panes!

Ideas, suggestions?

Gramercy!!

CenturiesSewing

That is the right number of panes. They go almost all the way around the arm but not under it. If you match the curve of the top of each pane to the curve of the sleeve poof or lining you can see how far they need to be spaced out.

gem

Quote from: CenturiesSewing on July 25, 2014, 01:10:52 PM
...you can see how far they need to be spaced out.

Aha! That was the missing piece. In the picture in the book, they appear to be attached to one another, but if they are not meant to touch, that makes immeasurably more sense.  :) Ta!

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

When I nave doen paned poofed sleeves in the past, I have drafted my lwn pattern based on a regu.ar sleeve and added more for the poofed underpart. Works pretty slick.
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

gem

Alas, I have yet to develop a reliable sleeve pattern to work with, but I'm getting there!

Thankfully, Centuries's probably-obvious suggestion made all the difference (even when I sewed the panes on back-to-front.  ::)):

Doesn't that make 100% more sense?!

In my defense, however, *this* is the illustration from the book:

...Just sayin'.  ;)

Rowan MacD

Quote from: gem on July 25, 2014, 12:37:39 PM

Gramercy!!
I am so glad this thread was started- I have the pattern pieces for the MA paned cap sleeves laid out on my cutting table now.
  The shapes of the pane pieces for TT and MA  are very similar....that is one end is narrower than the other,if you get my meaning-this photo illustrates this best.
Question... Looking at the above photo...which end goes toward the front of the bodice?
<=  or  =>  ? 

It seems a silly question, but the MA instructions don't say.  I guess she wants us to tack them on and go with what looks best?
What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

CenturiesSewing

<= should be the front of the sleeve...assuming the panes are in the right order.

Rowan MacD

Thanks! I'm cutting right now.   Like the TT pattern-MA doesn't mention spacing the panes-it's good to have that bit of  info
IWG wench #3139 

gem

Sorry--didn't have a chance to post earlier.

Rowan, mine is so wonky (forgotten seam allowances, etc) and turned around (I did sew the panes on back-to-front) that I can't even decipher from my mockup what's supposed to be where. (The good thing is, it really doesn't seem to matter, and if you look at some other paned sleeve patterns, all the panes are the same, so it's not a terribly risky venture, if you mess something up.)  That said, here's a photo where you can hopefully see the pattern pieces, and how they're oriented. Not shown is the foundation piece (where the boning goes), because CF and CB *are not marked.* (???) But you can see the Tudor Tailor picture of that piece in my last post.

HTH!!

Rowan MacD

So far, I have my poufs gathered, stuffed and attached to my heavy fabric foundations; I am working on the panes (already screwed 2 of those up, and will need to completely re-cut, interline and trim those, long story).   

Another question:
  The stuffing on the poufs on my MA pattern should maintain the shape of the sleeves, which the panes will rest on-another issue with the MA instructions is that she does not say how firmly to stuff the poufs. 
  I went with a soft/fluffy-but-maintains-its'-shape fullness- though I have seen tightly packed cap sleeves.
    What is the proper fullness?

My sleeves are kind of small (about 5 inches long) so I will assume the boning in the TT pattern would really be useful for longer sleeves.....
IWG wench #3139 

gem

I think, basically, you're NOT trying to achieve this:

(sorry; image has gone walkabout! It was a photo of Giselle from "Enchanted" and her crazy sleeves.)

The TT sleeves aren't terribly long (see very first photo in the thread). And they're even shorter than that, as the bottom gets gathered into a band. And how much support the sleeves need, I would think would depend on how heavy the fabrics are, and how much drape (or lack thereof) they have on their own. In my mockup, I was using the world's crispest cotton broadcloth, and IMO the boning is entirely unnecessary. But my final will be a pretty heavy velvet pane over a puff of lightweight taffeta--both are fairly non-drapey, but the weight of the panes will definitely overwhelm the lightweigh puff fabric. I'm hoping that a heavier foundation fabric (canvas + linen) will let me use a lighter structural support (hemp cord instead of boning), but I won't know until I get in there & test it.

Historically, I've seen gads of different supports for puffed sleeves--everything from wire frames to down pillows! But in general I think you want the puff to look airy... and not like you're wearing water wings. :)

Rowan MacD

I went with a barely filled look, stabilized with poly fiber (which I had on hand), instead of the crumpled tulle (which I would have had to buy special for this project). 
  The polyfill should resist crushing a little better than tulle, I would think.  MA instructions stated I can use either one, so I did.  I'm aiming for a softly rounded silhouette, with enough fullness to keep the panes from sagging, and to prevent large creases in the pouf.
   Should the filled cap sleeves be even with the shoulder top, or slightly higher, like a little girls gathered cap sleeve?  MA illustration shows them looking like 'Snow White'. but a bit fuller. 
  https://search.yahoo.com/search?p=snow+white&ei=UTF-8&fr=moz35

I have seen small, tightly packed (think shoulder roll tight) sleeves, and I have seen them unfilled. 
   I have seen the 'water wing' style of paned sleeve; and to me they resemble 'pumpkin pant' trunk hose.  Some of theses are exaggerated to the point of resembling leg-o-mutton sleeves.

I guess it's a matter of style; as it was back in period.; and I don't doubt they actually existed in period.
   Just from looking at portraits, one can only imagine what affectations never made it into a picture  ;D!  We would probably be dumfounded at the styles of codpieces, sizes of trunk hose and some of the color combinations that were actually seen by Elizabethan eyes at court.

IWG wench #3139 

gem

I think it depends a lot on era, region, and status. For the Tudor Tailor English fitted gown, I've been looking at Ninya Mikhaila's website, where the model gown from the book is posted (showing better detail than the book): http://www.ninyamikhaila.com/galleries_c16th_jess1569-2.htm  But here's a contemporary painting of such a gown, and: http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/05/ea/c1/05eac1ff3b9c04b4e9f3ce8e5e08e705.jpg

...And here's a boy's version, with quite a lot of poof! (No panes.) http://www.ninyamikhaila.com/galleries_c16th_willtowerboy.htm

But then you have things like Trystan's late period Florentine: http://realmofvenus.renaissanceitaly.net/yourgarb/2012/Trystan.htm

...And they'll also look different if they're tied on, rather than set into the armscye: http://realmofvenus.renaissanceitaly.net/yourgarb/2013/ElaineSD.htm (Also look at the extant gown that inspired her recreation--a much more modest amount of fullness!)

So, um... your call, really?

Rowan MacD

Gem,
  Thanks for the pictures, that's such a great help!
    They will look very nice with my gold paned sleeves (I used the leftover shantung to make the poufs).  The plus is that they should also look nice with just my partlet sleeves if it's hot.
IWG wench #3139 

gem

I was worried about that, too, since I don't really have a good set of sleeves to wear with mine... and have sort of been avoiding the issue, actually! LOL  But then Centuries Sewing showed me this blogger's fitted gown, worn with just her chemise: http://fancymiscellany.wordpress.com/2014/06/17/fitted-english-gown-outfit-wip/

Oooh, and look what I found in my Pinterest feed--these are leaning more toward shoulder rolls, aren't they?

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/ca/fb/37/cafb37ac642187ec0b18ef74554352dc.jpg