News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Pattern for an underbust corset (Victorian/fashion)?

Started by gem, August 30, 2014, 08:02:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gem

I've had a piece of fabric in my stash for ages, and last night it announced--much to my surprise--that it wants to be something like this:

(This is from Venefica Corsetry, a fantastic etsy vendor, if anyone is interested!)

This is not a particular style of anything I've ever been remotely interested in before, so my pattern radar is totally off. Any suggestions? I can go either fashion/modern or historically accurate (if there even was a similar thing at any point). I have this fashion corset (lightly boned) that I wear under my Valkyrie armor, and it's actually more of a mid-bust on me (despite the photos, there is some bust shaping), so although in my mind I'm thinking underbust, something like that would work, too (and might be more flattering).

Ideas? I am pretty comfortable with any skill level of pattern.

Gramercy!!

isabelladangelo

Don't.  Please don't.  The underbusts never, ever look right. The only time there was anything remotely like that was as underwear in the 1910s - worn with a bra.     

Instead, why not show us the fabric and maybe there is something else it can be?

mollymishap

It's hard to pull off one of those underbust styles, but if you've got your heart set on one, there are a number of reproduction patterns available at https://www.agelesspatterns.com/corsets__3.htm.  Scroll down to the middle of the page, I'm thinking the "1868 Corset without Gores" looks a lot like your example.  I've bought a few of their patterns, and though they're not for the faint at heart, I think you'll rise to the challenge without a problem.

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

There is the SIMPLICITY Steampunk ensemble pattern with the Bolero top that has a  nice underbust corset pattern. I made that for my eldest Granddaughter and worn with great success. I have a commission to make such a corset for a client who has back issues.
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

LadyStitch

I agree with Lady Kathleen.  I have also had good luck with that pattern. 
It is kind of strange watching your personal history become costume.

Sev

I've successfully drafted one for a friend using this tutorial, just to throw it out there as an option.

gem

Sev, thanks for that link! I love Katafalk's tutorials; this one is so far outside her normal range (high medieval) that I never would have thought to look there.

Is it Simplicity 1819 you guys mean? I actually have that pattern; I used it for the bolero jacket and the bustle. But there's something weird about the line of the corset--that sharp point in the top center looks really odd to me.

I'm seeing a lot of good reviews for Laughing Moon #113, and it has just the silhouette I'm looking for, and I trust them for corset patterns. They may be the winner--although I'm very intrigued by Katafalk's tutorial!

Butch

Sev, thank-you for the link!  I am currently designing an under bust for my daughter (but she wants a full back with straps continuing to the front).   I have made a pattern, but I'm not happy with it, and have not done the mock-up yet (MUCH to my daughter's chagrin!!).  I'm gonna use this pattern, and then mod it as necessary.

Cool!  Many thanks!

...and good luck Gem!  What fabric will you use?  I'm using a black taffeta with gold (bronze?) grosgrain ribbon accents.

gem

Butch, it's actually denim, with gold embroidered fleurs-de-lis. Milord bought it, and I've always assumed it would end up as a home dec project (it's been auditioned for table runners, pillows, footstools, and serger covers!), but it finally spoke up a few days ago. I've learned NOT to argue with the fabric! LOL I only have a yard, so it has to be something smallish.

Butch

Nice!  Are you gonna alternate it/accent it with other panels (as in your photo above)?

gem

That would take work!  ;) I will probably make it (pauses for Isabella to gasp in horror and frustration) reversible, though. I found a small-scale blue/green plaid cotton in my stash last night that would make nice binding.

...Come to think of it now, I also have some denim frosted with a metallic gold finish. The blues aren't the same, though, so I'm not sure how they'd look together.

isabelladangelo

Quote from: gem on September 03, 2014, 03:55:59 PM
That would take work!  ;) I will probably make it (pauses for Isabella to gasp in horror and frustration) reversible, though. I found a small-scale blue/green plaid cotton in my stash last night that would make nice binding.

...Come to think of it now, I also have some denim frosted with a metallic gold finish. The blues aren't the same, though, so I'm not sure how they'd look together.

It's not in horror but there is a lot of frustration.  To me, the only thing worse in the "Renn Faire" garb than an underbust corset is wearing a tank top with a tutu and declaring yourself a fairy.  (Or wearing a bikini with a coin belt as that seems to be this year's fashion faux paus)  It looks horrid on.  I have never seen an underbust corset that looked good on anyone over the age of 10.   Ever.   

At least if you make it reversible it won't last long and will end up out of your closet that much more quickly.   ;D

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

I  wore my underbust corset on Sumday at the Ren Faire and had a lot of compliments. My gzrb had more of a relaxed Pirate look with a flowy skirt, chemise with lace, sash, pouches, etc. I am 62. I was not going for an accurate look as like when I wear my Noble garb.
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

Butch

Isabella, I prefer to see the HA stuff too, but I enjoy seeing people who make some sort of effort to step out of their everyday lives and have fun!

My dau wants some steam-punky/piratey looking garb.  I offer suggestions on how to change it to make it more accurate, but she wants it as she pictures it.  That's fine!  If it makes her happy in the lanes, more power to her!  I'll make it the way she wants it.  (Even if I AM rolling my eyes!)

I can't wait to see the bikini with the coin belt!  And I'll giggle and think "Oh.  So THAT'S what Isabella was talking about.".  I remember the first time I saw a Storm Trooper in the lanes after reading about them in R/F.  I probably saw them previously, but never paid them any mind.

Tank top and tutu?  We have a GUY that wears that every year here at the KCRF!  EVERY year!

I try to be minimalist and H/A in my own garb, but this weekend is KCRF's "Shamrocks and Shenanigans" theme, and I'll be wearing my Irish Leine, a Scottish kilt (Marine Corps pattern tartan) a pair of primative Scottish brogues (home made) with a modern "wave" sole, and a flat cap (not a bonnet).  I've found kilts to be quite comfortable!  But I'll be a walking anachronism.

I can't wait to see everyone's garb in the lanes at the KCRF this year!  I think they're doing a sub-theme of pirates this year; that's only 200 years off!

I hope to meet you in person, someday, Isabella!  The photos of your work on this thread is so lovely!  I would love to see it up close just to drool over it!  And Lady Kathleen, I look forward to seeing you again; so sorry I didn't see you opening day in Shakopee.  Your garb has always looked so beautiful on you!  And you are such a fun person to talk to (a real hoot)!

Sorry to hijack this thread!

isabelladangelo

It's honestly not about the H/A - I have several fairy or elven gowns myself - it's about making what looks good.  There are times when I seriously consider doing a People of Walmart Renn Faire edition because of the slop people tend to wear.  And it is slop.   However, ain't nobody want to see how many spare tires anyone else has and it doesn't help that someone isn't wearing a shirt and their gut doth spilith over the top of that "kilt". 

The problem is that because it's "different" people will do anything and everything and think they look good when they don't.   This goes for muggle clothing as well.  When you just wear whatever, you look like a whatever.   If you actually attempt to wear something that fits your body and hides those faults we all have, you will look good.  However, underbusts are very rarely worn correctly and therefore accentuate the faults due to improper undergarments or other issues.   (They should be worn under the clothing, with a bra in the case of women, to give the desired silhouette of the early 20th C. )