Author Topic: Newcomer. Need advice! LOTR STRIDER GARB  (Read 1176 times)

Offline Christianjones

Newcomer. Need advice! LOTR STRIDER GARB
« on: June 17, 2015, 10:33:17 AM »
I am interested in garb and cosplay for local ren fairs and cons that come to my area. I have always been a fan of LOTR and ultimately I would like to build a kit that mimics Strider's style in the Fellowship of the Ring. I would like to at least get a good base to build off of first though as I source pieces from the web. I would prefer to buy as many pieces As possible due to my busy work schedule. My main problem at this point would be that I don't have a proper understanding of how base layering works all the way up to outer layers and leather. I can't tell from pictures what belongs where and would appreciate some insight on how to build a proper kit. I have been through a few of the approved websites but it's a little overwhelming. I know most of this stuff is trial and error so I figured I would ask the pros how they would do it. Like I said, I'd like to build a ranger/woodsman kit that would mimic strider in the first part of the fellowship( mostly black and dark Browns, very little leather armor) minus my weapon and other large accessories I am working with a budget of about 6 to 8 hundred dollars. Thank you and please help me spend my money wisely!

Offline Christianjones

Offline Rowan MacD

• R/ Member
  • Playing in the past...IWG#3139
    • Rowan
Re: Newcomer. Need advice! LOTR STRIDER GARB
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2015, 12:31:32 PM »
  Greetings!  Welcome to the RF forums!

From the reference photo christianjones provided-looks like 4 basic parts:

Black fitted breeches, black leather or canvas jerkin with frog closures, and a black leather duster length coat along with a pair of fold over pirate boots.
   These are the only visible parts-what you wear under them is up to you; but I would invest in a simple natural fiber ren shirt so that you can ditch the jacket if needed and you aren't standing around in a T-shirt with a Jerkin over it.
   All have been 'distressed' to look well used and dirty.
  IMHO- Looks uncomfortably hot for summer.

I would find pair of cotton  breeches like these:

I would google the coat- there are a few leather makers who recreate movie pieces.
Do the same for the fold over boots-lots of vendors make them.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 12:57:39 PM by Rowan MacD »
What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

Offline Christianjones

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2015, 08:58:12 AM »
thanks for the reply. looking in to your suggestions

Offline Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

• R/ Member
  • Maker of Fyne Attyre, Royal Wardrobe Designer
    • Custom Desgns By Lady Kathleen
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2015, 12:10:01 AM »
Hope I  am not too late to chime in. This site is very helpful for LOTR fans. Check this site out for DIY Costumes. Information on detail, etc.

"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

Web hosting provided by