News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Ronald the Bald and the $2 Bill

Started by baron snail, August 03, 2008, 04:56:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

baron snail

Ronald the Bald charged the Groom a single $2 bill to officiate at the wedding.

The REASON for that $2 bill is not my story to tell.

RONALD --- will you please explain the significance of the $2 bill?

Because after you do, I would like to let you know where that $2 bill came from...

If it ain't broke... don't fix it.

Ronald the Bald

Why a $2 bill? I am a preacher's kid. My dad was a full time minister for 50 years. For the last 5 or so years he has only worked part time (only 40 hours a week or so now.) When I was a kid my dad pulled out some $2 bills and showed them to me and explained what they were. The very first wedding he performed was for a sailor home on leave. (I think this was during the Korean War.) The sailor had just been paid in $2 bills. So my dad kept those bills in his wallet as a reminder. Don't know if he still does. Yesterday's wedding was as close as I have come to that original tale. So that is what I wanted. I would have spent a larger bill. That one is small enough to keep. I have written a note on the bill saying what it is for and stuck it in a safe place. It will give me some good memories when I see it again.

About this time last year a company paid me $2500 for a 30 minute speech. I got paid better yesterday.

(I cut and pasted this from an email to the Scottish Regiment mail list. Didn't want to type it twice.)

groomporter

Quote from: Ronald the Bald on August 03, 2008, 06:27:35 PM
(I cut and pasted this from an email to the Scottish Regiment mail list. Didn't want to type it twice.)

Scottish Regiment?
Sorry to change the subject, but what regiment/era?

Capt. Andrew Monro (retired)
Colonel Gaffney's Regt. of Foote (circa 1630)
When you die can you donate your body to pseudo-science?

Ronald the Bald

The Scottish Regiment at Scarborough Faire. We march in parade, do pike arches for weddings, harass the English. You know, the usual stuff. We also provide guards for Queen Margaret's court. Can't be too careful with all those English around.

We aren't on cast. We are a volunteer group that puts in a lot to making the faire happen.

groomporter

Hokay,
I used to be part of a group of Scottish mercenaries that got it's start at MNRF so had to ask  ;D
When you die can you donate your body to pseudo-science?

baron snail

OK... now that Ronald has explained the significance of the $2 bill...

On the day that Andrew was born, his parents gave him a piggy bank to encourage him as a kid to save. His mother started things off by making the first deposit to that bank.

She put in a $2 bill.

Guess what $2 bill he paid Ronald with yesterday.

RONALD--- That $2 bill was the very same one. I thought you would want to know that little detail. I didn't know that myself until this morning when the kids came in and Andrew told me where he had gotten it...

I hugged his neck and told him he had just hit a Grand Slam Home Run.
If it ain't broke... don't fix it.

Ronald the Bald

Wow! You can't make up stories like that. No wonder you wanted me to tell my part of the story. Got me all teary eyed.

PurpleDragon

That is an impressive little tidbit to add to your tale Ronald.  That two dollar bill has obviously been meant for those who would regard it as something special.
Karl "Dragon" Wolff
The Pirates Cove

Bin Ich SCHLECHT? Ja BIN Ich.