News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Ren Beer list

Started by DonaCatalina, August 14, 2008, 08:34:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DonaCatalina

I looked for this thread but it must not have been revived yet.

A) What is the beer you prefer at your local Faire?

B) Is there a local beer you'd like to see at your Faire?
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Sir William Marcus

Locally it would nice to see "Robert the Bruce" available. It's brewed here in our state at "Three Floyds Brewing Company". Its a dark brown Scottish ale, and a pretty darn good one at that.

As for a beer I prefer anytime, at any event...

"Kinda makes you thirsty don't it?!"
VENI, VIDI, VELCRO! Spelling and grammatical errors are beyond my control, it's the way I'm wired.

Lairde Guardn

Since I actually believe that life is too short to drink terrible beer....I prefer Guinness or Beamish to all others.......I have been known to drink the local stout at faire, but usually have a Guinness availeble someplace close by

So by virtue of the previous statement, I would like to see Guinness or Beamish at faire and if they don't have either of them, they should get them.

Lairde Guard'n
Lairde Highe Chieftain Emeritus
Irish Penny Brigade
Rogue, Teer, Otter
Landshark, Bard, DG, RFC
15.8% FaireFolk pure, 84.2% FaireFolk corrupt

Scotsman

MDRF - Beamish (I miss the little green guy {B&T})
GLMF - Smithwicks
CRF - Guinness
Sterling - Smithwicks (tough to find though) & Guinness
PARF - Swashbuckler Gold
NCRF - Whatever they have  ;D
VARF - Beachbum (but there was Smithwicks in the parking lot)
ORF ... never stayed sober enough to remember ...
Pittsburgh ... same
MNRF ... same
Kilted Rogue #1411
Irish Penny BDE - Flattn'
Castleteer
Teer for life
RFC #56
Was that my inside voice?

Will Gamwell

I don't believe I have ever drank a beer at Fest.  It is a rare occasion for me to do so.  I tend to stay with the Mead or Hard Cider.

If I were to...Most likely a Guiness.

Var Greyshadow

If I'm not drinking a home brew or a St. Arnold's from the cooler in the back of the carriage, at Scarby it'll be Guinness and at TRF usually Young's Double Chocolate Stout.  There are quite a few interesting beers available at TRF, so if it's not the Young's, I'll be trying something equally exotic.
"All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost..." ~J.R.R. Tolkien "The Fellowship of the Ring"

Angus

Bare Knuckle Stout...

I really hate to say it, but I believe that it is better than Guinness...
...Prob because it is quite similar to a "Local" microbrew I am fond of.
Chief cook, and bottle washer...

Ottheinrich

At Scarby it is Shiner Bock
But at Trf they have

Chimay

bershokwench

Quote from: DonaCatalina on August 14, 2008, 08:34:06 AM
I looked for this thread but it must not have been revived yet.

A) What is the beer you prefer at your local Faire?

B) Is there a local beer you'd like to see at your Faire?

We prefer Guinness but sadly the person who took over our faire changed our brew to a "light" beer. Yuck!
VICKY BERSHOK

brier patch charlie

At TFR, I drink..... what don't I drink, ummmmmm let me think.
After my 5th Young's Double chocolate stout, I have a McEwan or two, toped off with an Oat meal stout and for desert I have Peach Limbic. That holds me over till I get back to camp to do some real drinking.
Charles Coleman

Tipsy Gypsy

That peach lambic is tasty, isn't it? The framboise isn't bad either. I would like to see Charles offer the Kriek too, though, the tartness would be very refreshing on a hot day.
"It's just water, officer, I swear. And yeast. And a little honey. How the alcohol got in, I have no idea!"

brier patch charlie

Oh, how I love the peach limbic, it's like...... drinking a peach soda pop. But at 18 dollars a bottle at TRF, I stop at one. ::)
Charles Coleman

Tipsy Gypsy

No kidding. Even at $6 a pop at Spec's or World Market/Cost Plus, I limit myself to an occasional treat!
"It's just water, officer, I swear. And yeast. And a little honey. How the alcohol got in, I have no idea!"

Marietta Graziella

Ah, my favorite beer... wish it were at faire...

My beloved Stella Artois.

I first made her acquaintance many years ago in Stratford Upon Avon just prior to a lovely outing of punting on the Thames with a brand new friend that soon after became my husband.  It was a very unassuming meeting.  She being the only one of her kind available on a quiet Sunday afternoon at, of all the unlikely places, Pizza Hut.  I did not allow this lowly beginning to put me off her many excellent qualities.  At that precise moment it was her easy availability that caught my eye.  Not wanting her to think me ungrateful to her for being there when I needed her, I continued to find her whenever possible over many, many years.  She became a trusted friend, although often time elusive in the area I lived.  As time passed I was able to find her more often.  It seemed that she has become friendly with many more people.  That's OK.  We had been friends a very long time and I knew she'd never leave me even if I did entertain others along side her.  She was no attention hound and didn't mind the company.

Preparing for the weekend I decided to go to my local Class V store.  It had been awhile since I spent time in her company and I feared she would feel neglected without my attentions.  Being still rather new to this area I worried that she was sitting on the shelf lonely and desperate, throwing herself at any passing hand just for the comfort of a firm grip about her neck.

To my shock and horror she was not in her usual spot with her friends Tilburg, Henry, and Smithwicks.  I called to her, but alas, she did not answer.  Had she grown so weary in waiting?  Had she fallen in with bitter types?  Had she taken up with some sweet thing!?!   Sigh.  There was not even a calling card left on the shelf to show that she had once graced its ledge.  I paused in a moment of silence and wished her well, wherever she had gone.

Down trodden and dismayed, I shuffled westward within the store in hopes of finding a new friend amongst the riffraff of Bud, Mich, and Blue.  There were many familiar faces as well as a few interlopers pushing their way onto the shelves.  I'd seen their type before.  Seasonal.  Hmph.  Vagrants!  Settling in to tease for a short while then pushing off to warmer climes leaving you wanting.  I'd have none of that.  I was saddened at the loss of my friend but I'd not take up with a transient on the rebound!

Halfheartedly scanning the shelves I thought I glimpsed a familiar color scheme down a few rows.  No, it couldn't be Stella.  This is not where she belonged.  I ignored the imposter and kept hunting.   Up and down the shelves I searched, finding not an enticing label in the lot.  Closer and closer I drew to those brilliantly coordinated colors.  Could it be...?

Huzzah and rejoice!  There she was!  My dearest and oldest of malted friends, Stella!  Moved to a new and somewhat less diverse neighborhood than before, but still in decent company.  It seems that in my absence she had befriended the masses; charmed them, as it were, with her delightful tingle and refreshing crispness, and had to be moved to larger accommodations to fulfill the growing desire of her liquid wonderment.  So brazen and popular had she become that she was now flaunting herself around by the dozen!  This was not like my old friend at all.

Part of me dances with tears of joy at her acceptance by so many.  Finally they see what I have always appreciated and enjoyed.   Huzzah again and welcome to the light!

However, another part of me thinks:  You two timing belch.

MG

Originally I posted this in stories but garnered very little reading.  *sigh*  I thought it was funny.
Nothing clever to say here.  Not enough caffine yet.

Athena

At GLMF it's usually Newcastle or Swithwicks for me.

I wish they served  beer from the Great Lakes Brewing Company, especially the Elliot Ness Lager or the Burning River Pale Ale. It would be great to promote a local brewery! I really like going to a faire and seeing what they have to offer in terms of local brews, really gives me a taste of the region.

A book is like a garden carried in the pocket. ~ Chinese Proverb