News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Dremel hsrt

Started by Lady Christina de Pond, September 15, 2008, 11:12:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Christina de Pond

o.k. this evening i'm getting myself a dremel tool. i didn't know how much cool craft stuff you can do with this thing. my dad has one but i've only seen him use it for home repairs. I got looking into stuff for engraving on this metal bootie for a baby shower. and found out the dremel is a crafters dream come true no more chemical glass etching now i can use a dremel(yeaaaaa the chemical stuff is such a pain in my tailfeathers).
anyone out there using a dremel for craft projects besides me and what you using it on.
Helmswoman of the Fiesty Lady
Lady Ashley of De Coals
Militissa in the Frati della Beata Gloriosa Vergine Mari

BrokenArts

Dremel is a cool tool for sure.  I love the flex shaft I got for mine, more precise drilling, and overall usage. 
I use a lot of sanding disks, the kind made for the dremel, I don't care for personally.  You have to take off a screw to change them out, if you use a lot of them.  Thats a real pain.  I have another kind, that you just twist on, and you're good to go. 

I have another kind, called a foredom.  Bit heavier duty, its powered with a foot pedal, which is great.  Enjoy the dremel!

Hoowil

Ahhh... Foredom.... What I wouldn't give for one of those. Alas, stuck with my dremel.
I use my dremel for all kinds of stuff. Some minor wood working, and random small cutting/grinding jobs around the house, but mainly for cleaning and polishing small metal castings. I do some lost wax casting, and being able to get such a veriety of bits that'll do so many things and come in real small sizes is a godsend.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Lady Mikayla of Phoenicia

Not sure how I ended up on this thread, that happens for me from time to time. 

Dremels are also good for grinding down dog's nails.  My groomer uses one on my youngest.

Back to your regularly scheduled rennies...
"Embrace those who love you and rid yourself of those who bring you down."

groomporter

Quote from: BrokenArts on September 15, 2008, 08:54:46 PM

I have another kind, called a foredom.  Bit heavier duty, its powered with a foot pedal, which is great.  Enjoy the dremel!

Yeah a Foredom is worth the money if you are using it a lot. It's also a little quieter so it's easier on the ears. (Need to buy a new foot pedal mine died) A drawback is that although the hand pieces for the Foredom flexshaft come in a couple sizes, even the small one is bigger than the pen-sized handle for a Dremel, so the Dremel might work out better for smalls hands.
When you die can you donate your body to pseudo-science?

BLAKDUKE

I used the sanding wheels and rough shaper bits to remove bark from staff wood and to shape out knots and grind down big lumps in the wood to shape the staff to what I want.  then use the sanding discs to smooth out the staff.  It can also be used to carve intricate designs into the staff, but I prefer to leave it alone at that point and allow the final owner to carve his/her own and use his/her mental visions to see what they want in the staff not what I would want. 
Ancient swordsman/royalty
Have Crown/Sword Will Travel

BrokenArts

Quote from: groomporter on September 16, 2008, 08:00:03 AM
Quote from: BrokenArts on September 15, 2008, 08:54:46 PM

Yeah a Foredom is worth the money if you are using it a lot. It's also a little quieter so it's easier on the ears. (Need to buy a new foot pedal mine died) A drawback is that although the hand pieces for the Foredom flexshaft come in a couple sizes, even the small one is bigger than the pen-sized handle for a Dremel, so the Dremel might work out better for smalls hands.

Yeah, foredom is great, I use it for my business, so I do use it quite a bit.  Its dieing on me, haven't figured out why, could be the foot pedal too.  I've had mine for years, so, not surprised its going out on me.

I do have small hands, so using both dremel and foredom is good for me.  What one doesn't do, the other will.  Both have advantages and disadvantages. 

Lady Christina de Pond

yeah i'm gonna go to home depot and check out the flex shaft this weekend. I'm gonna check out the flex shaft
Helmswoman of the Fiesty Lady
Lady Ashley of De Coals
Militissa in the Frati della Beata Gloriosa Vergine Mari

rogheff

I have a dentist friend who is also a woodcarver.  He has all kinds of specialty bits for his Dremel.
Creator of FInely Crafted Hiking Staffs and Shillelaghs

Grov

I modify and paint miniatures for some games that I play.  I have used my dremel to alter several models.  Metal or plastic it doesn't matter.  I have to be extra careful on the plastic in fact due to the heat generated.
I hope my life is an epic tale that ends well and everyone likes to read. --Grovdin Dokk

LadyFireKissed

Talking of dremmels. . . I am a dog Groomer, and dremels are a GODSEND for difficult dogs, or dogs that have elderly owners, if you just clip the nails with clippers, the dog can badly scratch the owner. LOVE it

The Rabbi

I LOVE MY DREMMLES. I use these handy little tools for soany different things. arving and culpting emu and ostrich eggs, etching glass and highlighting glass ive blasted, sanding out wood cuts to add depth this is simply an amazing tool. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do.
My sanity is not lost I sent it away
Proud member of FOKTOP