News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

A time for courage

Started by DonaCatalina, September 29, 2008, 09:24:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DonaCatalina

The second day after Christmas was the day that Northumberland would host the first on many dinner parties leading up to Twelfth Night. Some of the servants had returned very late and progress on the preparations was slow. There were fewer overnight guests, but the house still seemed full to bursting in Violet's opinion. The young couple with whom Violet now shared her garderobe preferred to stay up late and rise late in the morning. This would have been of little consequence to Violet if it were not for the fact that the gentleman drank much more than he should. The sounds of him being ill made it difficult for Violet to sleep. This was also the day that Violet would finally meet her betrothed. She dressed with more care than usual that morning before she set about her routine. Deep in her heart she was certain that Lord Horton would not send her into marriage with an unkind man, though she steeled herself against hoping for more than that. She looked out the gallery windows as she passed through to the front of the house. The snow on the lawns outside was heavily trampled, but it was now so deep that it had retained its white color. If the snow was so thick here in the south, she shivered to imagine what it was like in the north. Master John waited in the main hall to usher her in front of the Earl. That Thomas was there also gave Violet pause. His face was solemn and still as stone. She gave him a slight bow and greeted them "Good morrow to you both. I understand that His Grace is ready to see me." Master John nodded slightly and replied "You are correct milady". Violet cocked an eyebrow at the change of address but followed him. He stopped to allow her to pass into the room ahead of him.  At first she saw an older well-dressed man seated near the Earl. Then she saw the man who stood to his left. Her knees turned to water and she dropped unceremoniously to the floor.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

DonaCatalina

"Arthur?" Violet asked weakly. The man who she thought never to see again helped her to her feet. His eyes were the same warm brown that she remembered. He smiled at her and replied "I suppose you can call me Robert now" She looked around the room at the puzzled faces of Northumberland and his secretary. Thomas's face betrayed his dismay, but she realized that no one besides herself would recognize it. "Are you here for the reason that I think you are?" Violet asked softly. He continued to hold her hand and answered "I suppose that I am. I must say that I am as surprised as you. At no time did I imagine that the heiress that my father found to be my bride was the black haired waif that I had left on the Marquis's doorstep." He spared a glance for the man who was apparently his father and added "I feel that I am blessed more than my due to wed such a gentle beauty". Violet blushed to the roots of her hair at the compliment. "You are too kind my Lord" she told him as she dropped her eyes. Robert's father broke into the conversation "I find it passing strange that this girl is apparently the destitute maiden you told me of. Do we know indeed that the Marquis is not foisting off some nameless peasant on us?" Northumberland called out "Pax cousin. I know Mistress Violet's antecedents. She is indeed the granddaughter of the late Marquis of Dorset through his third son. The circumstances under which she apparently met your son were extraordinary in more ways than you know." The Earl of Grantham sat back in his seat. From his expression it was obvious that he was not fully satisfied. "Very well cousin. I will accept your word in this matter." The two peers were uneasy in each other's presence. Northumberland's precedence over Grantham chafed the older man's pride and made him more irascible than usual.  Northumberland spoke up "We can get on with the signing I believe. His Lordship or Berwick is here to represent the Marquis". He signaled to his secretary who began to read "In so much as Richard Willoughby, Lord Horton, Marquis of Berwick is the legal guardian with all custodial rights of Mistress Violet Derington, daughter of Lavender Derington, niece of Lilly de Marche do agree to the marriage between her and Lord Robert Waverly, son of His Grace, Robert Waverly Earl of Grantham. In consideration of said custodial rights His Grace, Lord Robert Waverly has agreed to convey the sum of £750 to Lord Richard Willoughby, Marquis of Berwick, who shall in return relinquish and claim or interest in the Dower Estates of Mistress Violet Derington, said estates being specifically Yardley Hall, Le Marche Chase, and Afton Hall". After he had finished he laid the document on the table beside an inkwell and quill.
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

DonaCatalina

The Earl of Northumberland stepped up and signed first. The heavy brass seal made a small sound and it impacted on the document, though to Violet it was as loud as the trump of doom. The secretary noted Northumberland's status as witness in chief. The Earl of Grantham signed second and his secretary applied Grantham's seal. As his grandfather's representative, Thomas signed next, followed by Lord Robert and Violet last of all. When all the signatures were in place, Northumberland instructed his butler to pour out glasses of Spanish sherry wine for all. Toasts were made to the newly betrothed. After the well wishes were finished, he commented "That is well and done. If we assume that the beastly weather will break after Twelfth Night, we can make for Horton Hall and see this marriage accomplished". Violet's puzzled reaction attracted the notice of Northumberland. "The Marquis" commented the Earl with a wolfish smile "Old skinflint that he usually is, has insisted on hosting the wedding feast." Grantham set down his glass, picked up his walking stick and headed for the door. Now that the legalities were finished, he saw no reason to remain in Northumberland's presence. "We shall bring along extra provisions then. Good day to you cousin" he called as he made his exit. Lord Robert looked longingly at Violet for a moment before he followed his father out of the door. When Thomas stalked out after them Violet decided it was time for her to retreat also. She made quick bow and fled the room.
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

DonaCatalina

The Viscount Berwick was still in the main hall as Violet walked through. "Now it is done" he called out to her. She stopped just inside the entry. His chilly manner showed no trace of the friend she had thought he was. "Yes it is done" she replied. A few quick steps brought him up to her. "When you leave for Horton Hall I will remain here" he told her "My grandfather can compel many things of me, but he cannot compel me to watch you marry another man". His unhappiness made her ache to comfort him, but she dared not because she knew he would take it for encouragement. In a low voice she rebuked him "I had hoped to have at least one friend witness my marriage. But do as you think best". Thomas flinched under the soft lash of her words. He said in a slightly calmer voice "I do think it best. Perhaps I can bring my feelings under control if there is some distance between us". Master John came into the room from the opposite door and gave them an odd look. Violet quickly said out loud "I am sorry that you will not be able to attend my wedding. Is there a message I can give your grandfather for you?" The steward continued on his way. Thomas simply said "No", turned on his heel and left. Violet remained where she was for several minutes until she was surprised by Master John's return. "My lady, His Grace has asked me to contact the seamstress and the milliner about your trousseau" he explained "They will arrive shortly as there is little time to have everything you need, though the Marquis provided ample funds. My Goodwife Catherine will be there to assist. And if you should have any questions......." He let the last sentence trail off suggestively. "My thanks to you master John" Violet responded "I shall be ready when they arrive".
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

DonaCatalina

How she survived that first dinner party, Violet was not quite sure. It seemed as half of the city of London came to look at her since the Earl of Grantham had announced the formal betrothal. The room was hot and stuffy from the press of sweaty bodies and the heat of the fireplaces roaring flames. Everyone in their finest clothes made the house doubly crowded. Powdered faces and scented clothing gave the room a dizzying overlay of odor. The heavy resinous perfume from the fresh pine boughs that hung everywhere just added to the miasma. Scores of well-wishers and the simply curious pressed her with toasts of wine and punch that made the clamor slightly more bearable. The bells had rung for midnight long before she was able to escape the dancing and retire to her chambers. And the whole thing would be repeated again the next night at the townhouse of the Earl of Grantham. This evening however, Lord Robert had attended without his father. The great crush of curious people had prevented him from dancing more than two sets with Violet. It had almost been a relief that the Viscount Berwick had not attended. When Martha roused her from her bed in the morning, Violet felt as if she had not slept at all. The day was another round of fittings for clothes, shoes, hoods and a million other sundries that would make up her trousseau. Goodwife Catherine had proved invaluable as she advised Violet on the varied decisions she had to make during the day. The constant stream of visitors continued throughout the day. Some bearing wedding presents, some merely to gossip. Long before it was time to leave for the Grantham townhouse, Violet was exhausted. Martha dressed her in one of the newer gowns and saw her into the sedan chair that would convey here there and back again later.
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

DonaCatalina

The Grantham townhouse was in a part of London very near the Tower. The Earl of Grantham maintained a permanent household here instead of leasing a house like Northumberland did. This house was more than half fortified, though the front entrance has been significantly enlarged and set with flanking windows. The night was bitterly cold but the great fireplaces and the crowds of people warmed up the inside of the hall considerably. The Earl gave Violet the place of honor at his right hand for the dinner. His eldest son and heir, Edward, Viscount Grantham, sat to Violet's right. He leaned over and spoke "We have never been formally introduced. But as you are to be my sister-in-law I feel we can dispense with formalities. Please call me Edward". Violet smiled through her nervousness and replied "I am pleased to meet you.......Edward. I would be happy for you to call me Violet". She leaned forward a little to see Edward's wife on his other side. "My wife's name is Elizabeth" he responded to Violet's obvious curiosity "Perhaps when a quieter time comes, the two of you can become acquainted". Their conversation was interrupted by the arrival of some jugglers that had been engaged for part of the evening's entertainment. After dinner, most of the tables were cleared away to make room for dancing. As the guests of honor, Lord Robert and Violet started off the dancing. The song was a lively one which left Violet slightly breathless. When the music stopped, Violet discovered that they were next to a door. Lord Robert pushed this open and pulled Violet through the door after him.
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

DonaCatalina

The hallway was only dimly lit when Robert pushed the door shut behind her. "You looked as if you might need a bit of a breather" he offered by way of explanation. He walked down the hallway still holding Violet's hand. He opened another door which led them outside onto a stone paved courtyard. The overhang of the balcony above had kept this area free of snow. Violet shivered in the chill evening air. Robert surprised her by wrapping his arms around her. "That's a little warmer is it now?" He asked with his lips pressed to her hair. After a brief moment she relaxed into his embrace. One hand came up under her chin to tilt her face back. Before Violet knew what had happened he had captured her lips with his own. As gently as if she were a wild bird he held her chin as he caressed her lips, face and neck. With her eyes tightly shut, Violet savored the new feelings that he brought to life. A small part of her was amazed that she no longer felt the cold air. The suddenly Robert fell forward against her and she fell backwards onto the hard ground. From where he slid unconscious to the ground she looked up at two dark figures silhouetted against the dim starlight. Then a blow to the back of her head sent her swimming into darkness.
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

DonaCatalina

The taste of the dirty rag was the first thing that Violet noticed when she regained consciousness. Then the pains began when her body reacted to the awkward position she had been left in, on her side with her hands tied behind her back. The pile of soiled canvas that she had lain on had not helped either. A flash of pain caused an involuntary groan as she tried to sit up. A little effort enabled her to sit up and lean back against a wall. Robert was leaning against the opposite wall, in much the same condition as herself.
Getting rid of the gag seemed to be her first priority. By pushing with her tongue and scraping her cheek against the wall she managed to push it off. "Are you hurt?" was the first thing she asked "And can you get your gag off?" He shook his head to answer no to both questions. A bump and a rattle at the door caused them both to jump. Hastily Violet pushed her gag back up so that it appeared to be in place. Her eyes widened in horror as the door opened to admit Hereward Lisle. His porcine face was even more repugnant to her now that she had not seen it an awhile. "You are not so high and proud now, are you Violet?" he asked as he squatted beside her. With one pale greasy hand he tried to reach out and stroke her face as Violet jerked her head away. He let out a low evil chuckle as he started to untie her legs. Frantically Violet tried to wriggle away from him. Grasping one ankle he jerked her forward and flat on the pile of rags before him. "I'll let your new friend watch while I have you" he said in a near growl "Do y' think he'll like that?"
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

DonaCatalina

Hereward stood up to and started to unfasten his hosen when Violet kicked at him as viciously as she could. Hereward slapped her hard across the mouth so that Violet's mouth filled with the iron tang of blood. "Get away from me she shouted as she made another attempt to kick Hereward. The blow missed, but he jerked in surprise when the door slammed open again. "I told you to stay away from her! If she is harmed she is useless to us for bargaining" Screeched Mistress Lisle. Hereward's whole body slumped into a sulk "I would not hurt her." He pouted "And we still got t' other one." Mistress Lisle jabbed a finger into her son's chest. "We need a guarantee of passage" she shouted "We will not get that if you despoil her and give them more reason for vengeance". While they argued Violet quickly pulled her legs back under her skirt. What she hoped was that Mistress Lisle would not notice that the ropes were loose. Mistress Lisle grabbed her son's arm and pushed him towards the door. "We will wait and see if an agreement can be reached" she told him "If not, well then we shall see". She pulled the door shut behind her. The rattle of the key in the lock was followed by the faint sound of footsteps. When she was sure that they were truly gone, she wiggled the ropes off of her legs completely. Once the gag was off again she whispered to Robert "Roll over onto your back so I can try to untie your hands". He raised an eyebrow at her quizzically, but he did roll over. It took some time to get into a position where her head rested on Robert's back. He jerked away when she tried to bite on his ropes. "Be still" she hissed "If we can not get out of here on our own, then I am as good as dead. I have no intention of sitting by quietly and letting that happen." Violet felt an unaccustomed anger building up inside her as she attacked the ropes with her teeth. By the time she had them gnawed down to the point where Robert could break them, her mouth was bloody and her teeth were sore. With his hands free, Robert removed his gag and gave Violet a quick kiss on the lips. As soon as they were both free, they took stock of their prison. The storeroom, for that was what it was had only one door and no window. Only two small openings let in air and light.
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

DonaCatalina

"From this point on I will not be without a dagger, no matter how formal the occasion" Robert muttered as he examined the walls. With his back to Violet he told her "Two boards here are loose. If I had a dagger for leverage, I could pry them loose. Likely as not, the next room is unlocked. If this warehouse were in regular use they would not have put us here". Hurriedly, Violet scrabbled in the pile of canvas she had lain on. Triumphantly she held up the short length of iron that looked like half of a crate staple. After he wrapped his hand in a rag as protection from the sharp edge of the metal, Robert began working on the boards. Violet sent up a fervent prayer that their captors would not return untimely. It was slow going to pull the boards free, even as loose as they were. As she listened for the dreaded footsteps, Robert worked on the boards. Just when it seemed that his efforts would be fruitless, Robert gave a yelp. One of the boards pulled free. The second was quickly removed. Very carefully, Robert slid through into the next room. Violet followed close behind. The door was not exactly silent as it opened. But when they peered out the short hallway was empty. When they went out of the door onto the street, Violet realized that their troubles were not over yet.
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

DonaCatalina

The part of town where the warehouse was located was on alder and definitely seedy location. Even the air seemed dirty here as smoke from hundreds of greasy fires hung low in the streets and oozed down from crude chimney pots. The clothes that Robert and Violet wore made them stand out like a sore thumb. She pulled him back inside the warehouse door. "Quick, take off your doublet and jerkin" She ordered "and turn your jerkin inside out" As he followed her instructions, his face brightened as he realized her intentions. A quick look down showed that her dress already appeared torn and stained, especially around the hem. "You will be wearing the jerkin inside out" she instructed "so smudge a little of that hinge grease where it will show. Just a little as if the other side is much dirtier. Carefully she pulled a few strands of her hair loose and rubbed some of the grease on the ends, so that it did not appear freshly washed. Once she was satisfied with their appearance, she let Robert lead them back outside. He spared a wistful glance for the fancy doublet that he had abandoned before they shut the door behind them. The top of the White Tower could be seen easily even from this distance, so they started off in that direction.
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

DonaCatalina

It seemed as if they would cross the town unscathed when a group of burly men blocked their path. One pointed a blackened finger at Robert and exclaimed "Gawdon Bennet! What do yew think yew are doin' peddlin' yaaahr doxie in my part ov town?" Violet could see Robert tense up and reach for a sword that was not there. "Blimey! My man an' me are just passin' frough. Give 'im da toll love. Nuff said?" Violet spilled out as quickly as she could. Inwardly she thanked her lucky stars for the rough talking scullery maid that worked in the kitchen at her home for years. It had been a great game to imitate the girl's speech when she was a child. At least it had been until her stepmother had heard her doing it and gave her a thrashing. "Gawdon Bennet! aye yew do what now." The lead ruffian muttered as he stood with crossed arms. Mercifully Robert still had his purse inside his breeches. He fumbled out several coppers and held them out on his outstretched palm. The leader nudged one of his compatriots who darted forward and snatched the coins. He chuckled evilly as he waved Robert past "Lawd above! dogs dinner doin' business wiv yew sirrah, innit." When they were several blocks away from the street gang, Robert whispered fiercely "When we get home you will explain all that to me!"
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

DonaCatalina

The disguise which had stood them well in the rougher part of London, worked against in the more fashionable district. The looks they received varied from curious to downright hostile. But in these more familiar paths, Robert quickly regained his bearings. Since the Earl of Grantham's townhouse was closest, he steered them to that destination. It was well after dark and both of them were shivering when they reached their destination. It was no surprise when they found the gates locked and guarded. "What do you ragamuffins want here?" one guard called out in response to Robert's knocking. "Send someone to tell His Grace, that his son Robert has returned." He held his torch aloft and peered out at Robert. Then the guard laughed in his face and told him "Push off! You are drunk or a madman". Robert held his signet ring up under the guard's nose and replied in a deadly calm voice "You can take this to the Earl if you like. But I can assure you that you really do not wish to say anything of that sort to me again". The guard took the ring as it was passed through the gate and handed it off to one of the younger man. The tone of Robert's voice had convinced him he needed to show the ring to the Earl of Grantham as soon as possible. While they waited Robert grasped Violet's hands. "You are absolutely a treasure" he told her "I am fairly certain that your enemies had not an idea what a formidable opponent that you actually were".  Her eyes became slightly unfocused as she looked past his shoulder. "I have spent a lot of time these last weeks waiting for someone else to make decisions or take care of the problems in my life" she explained " I prefer to decide and to finally do something for myself".
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

DonaCatalina

The noise of the young guard as he huffed up the path drew their attention. The Earl of Grantham followed at a much more dignified pace. He was barely within the circle of torchlight when his grim expression changed to one of happy relief. "What are you simpletons doing standing there with the gates locked!" he shouted "Open the gates and let my son in". The older guard scrambled to do just that before his master reached the gates. The old Earl gathered his son in a fierce embrace. "Come inside" he said with a gesture that Included Violet "This looks like it will take a great deal of explaining."
They followed the Earl through the house. After they were settled in his office he started on Robert "It was quite late before we realized you were missing. It was morning before I could have the guard assembled to start a search. And now you turn up looking like you crawled through the sewers. Explain to me how this happened". Violet shot a sideways look at Robert that made him flush with embarrassment. "We... I mean I felt that I was a little warm and convinced Mistress Violet to step outside with me for some cooler air". The old Earl leaned forward and gave his son a knowing look. "What happened then?" he prompted. "I did not see our attackers in the dark before I was knocked down. Mistress Violet tells me that there were three of them. When I came back to myself, we were both trussed like capons. A man and a woman came into the room briefly.......I think that it was Hereward Lisle and his mother". Both men turned towards Violet who nodded vigorously. Robert continued "Mistress Violet was able to loosen some of her bonds and in turn loosened mine". Spreading his hands to take in the state of their garments he added "We found ourselves in a less than savory portion of the city. It seemed expedient to fit in with the locals". Grantham rang a bell that summoned his secretary.  It was only moments before he entered the room. "Where is this building in which you were held? I want these people taken as soon as it may be done." he asked his son. Robert hesitated before he answered "I do not know". They both looked at Violet in surprise when she interrupted "I can tell your guardsmen exactly where to look". To the men's dumbfounded expressions she responded "I counted the streets as we walked".
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

DonaCatalina

The next morning, Violet was conveyed back to Northumberland's leased house amidst a large number of guards. Wrapped in furs in her sedan chair, she felt proud and slightly embarrassed by the crowd of men who surrounded her. The first person she saw when she entered the house was Thomas. His relief at seeing her was written all over his face. "You are unhurt?" he asked hesitantly. "A little bruised, but mostly I am unhurt" she answered.
"As soon as we knew you had returned safely, I persuaded His Grace that you should be moved out of the city sooner rather than later" he told her "We can be ready to move in two days". Violet's surprise showed in the wide-eyed look that she gave him as she replied "Very well. I can be packed and ready to go as soon as you like. I have not accumulated a lot that needs to be moved". Some stiffness returned to his manner as he added "We will be travelling with a squad of cavalry as well as whatever household that His Grace of Grantham feels the need of bringing. That will mean perforce that our progress will be slow. Also, you need to retain your own permanent staff before we leave London. I have made allowance in our travel arrangements for you to bring five servants with you." Taken aback, Violet commented "Five? I had never imagined so many" Thomas smiled in spite of himself. "You should select a secretary, a steward and a chamberlain here in London. It will be much harder to find someone with adequate training once you are away from the city. I can assist you with interviews if you wish". "I would be grateful for your advice" Violet responded, her brow furrowed in thought "It still seems rather odd to be planning my own household". The expression on Thomas's face had grown cold and distant. "Until I see you this evening then" he said and turned to leave.
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess