News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

hat making difficulty level? and how H/A is the snood?

Started by gypsylakat, September 29, 2008, 10:16:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redkimba

Just a personal thing for me, BUT if you wear the snood - please do your hair before putting it on.  It just looks bad when you have on the gorgeous dress only to just stuff your hair in this loose net on your head...

Rowan MacD

Quote from: operafantomet on August 28, 2010, 01:26:41 PM
Quote from: Rowen MacD on August 28, 2010, 09:18:37 AM
I like the idea of using ribbon and beads.  Has anyone done that?  Is there an easy way to keep the knots straight?  I suppose I could use a pin or nail board to keep the spacing right....
I think Isabella d'Angelo has tried it - not for a snood, but for a partlet. It's the same technique, just different shape. She is a member of this board, so she'll probably contribute with more info!
A Partlet!?  That's fantastic!
What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

isabelladangelo

Quote from: Rowen MacD on August 29, 2010, 08:23:03 PM
Quote from: operafantomet on August 28, 2010, 01:26:41 PM
Quote from: Rowen MacD on August 28, 2010, 09:18:37 AM
I like the idea of using ribbon and beads.  Has anyone done that?  Is there an easy way to keep the knots straight?  I suppose I could use a pin or nail board to keep the spacing right....
I think Isabella d'Angelo has tried it - not for a snood, but for a partlet. It's the same technique, just different shape. She is a member of this board, so she'll probably contribute with more info!
A Partlet!?  That's fantastic!

;D

I cheated a bit and use organza as a stabilizer, overlaying the ribbons on top of it and sewing them down to the organza.   

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jubileel/2600577487/in/set-72157604956712538/ - Lying on the ground somewhat flat before I added the collar or the pearls

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jubileel/2626942394/in/set-72157604956712538/ - When I finished the partlet and started to add the pearls.

gem

Isabella--LOVE!!

Marie Cadieux made a pearled cap for her Florentine gown of ribbons pinned then sewn together with pearls attached. She has step-by-step photos on her webpage.

Rowan MacD

Quote from: redkimba on August 29, 2010, 08:17:38 PM
Just a personal thing for me, BUT if you wear the snood - please do your hair before putting it on.  It just looks bad when you have on the gorgeous dress only to just stuff your hair in this loose net on your head...
I usually see this on ladies with shorter hair. It's really hard to keep layered locks in place, and the under-filled snood looks odd.   
  When my hair was cropped to shoulder length it would barely tie back at all, and I wanted to give the effect of long tresses.  I used a bag (muffin) hat for awhile, as well as a beaded snood until my hair grew out.   I recommend a cheap hair fall (doesn't have to exactly match your hair color) dressed to fill the snood, if you must wear an open net.      Otherwise, stick with a bag snood of solid cloth to cover the short brush of hair, then find something to stuff the bag with to simulate length.
IWG wench #3139 

operafantomet

Another snood, from a Florentine portrait. I ADORE this portrait!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v31/operafantomet/renaissanceportraits/firenze3/flor1570sunknown.jpg

ETA: in these hair nets, they often wore their hair braided, in two braids looped and fastened in the neck. Sometimes ribbons were added too. Renaissance women frequently wore false hair (read: real human hair that was not their own). It frequently appears in inventory lists, descriptions etc. from the era. So don't feel less period if you use this too!

gem

Anea, what a great portrait! That's what my hair looks like in my snood (kind of flat like that and not very full), so I'm very pleased to see it depicted like that on a real woman of the period.

I am working my way up to false hair, but I haven't any idea how to use it. Right now I'd love to figure out some way to add a few inches of length so I can braid/tape my hair around my head.

Anna Iram

I don't have long enough hair to properly fill a snood either, though I do love the look, so I'd just wear a fabric "cap" and cover it with a mesh snood in an alternate color. I did look for a fall of sorts I could braid into something pretty and clip into place easily, but all I could find in my price range ,which was admittedly small, was the hair falls with the giant clippy thing on the end. Does anyone have a good source for falls?

Rowan MacD

Quote from: gem on September 02, 2010, 11:24:59 AM
Anea, what a great portrait! That's what my hair looks like in my snood (kind of flat like that and not very full), so I'm very pleased to see it depicted like that on a real woman of the period.
I am working my way up to false hair, but I haven't any idea how to use it. Right now I'd love to figure out some way to add a few inches of length so I can braid/tape my hair around my head.
Check Sally Beauty store in your area, the have reasonably priced (start about $20.00) hair pieces and all the stuff you need to clip/fasten then to your head.   
  Start by tying back your real hair, or styling it in a way that the hair additions won't look out of place. Take a tail (or two) of matching hair, braid it or what ever you like to do and pin/clip it to your head to cover the pony tail of your regular hair if it's not long enough to braid into the hairpiece.  If you use jeweled clips, bands, hats or snoods, the transition area can be disguised very well. I have seen some ladies using those elastic, beaded, butterfly type combs (HairZing)

http://www.hairfinder.com/news/20071117.htm 

to very good effect. 

IWG wench #3139 

LordPaulet

Actually a decent pony fall will run you about 12 dollars at the local sallys...bought one just last week (DONT ASK QUESTIONS) lol

LAVAGODDESSSS

Quote from: gem on September 02, 2010, 11:24:59 AM

I was this way too...Do you have a Sally Beauty around?

They have a whole 'wall' o hair. Buy the one that is about $70.00 and they are in long strips. They have clips. What you do, is pin up sections of your hair, then literally just clip the thin 'weft' in. You should be able to find one that matches your hair color exactly.

I was intimidated at first, but also just make sure you don't get TOO long of the wefts. Just take a look, ours has a bunch out to show colors and length. :) You can style them, wash them, etc. :) I love it. I have short hair, after having hair to my butt...

and I honestly miss it. I wear a half head piece from Jessica simpson for ren stuff. It is basically an easier version that you pull up half your hair, pin up the bottom and then clip in this 'half cap' and then let down the top half of your hair. Wala!

Good luck!
Beauty is found in those who take the time to build you up.