News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Advise about CoRF

Started by Gerald, October 02, 2008, 01:41:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gerald

Hi.   So, I have a question about something.  I'm not sure if this is the right spot to ask, but hopefully someone can point me in the correct direction.

So I am a part of a ren group in Colorado, that used to have a guy that worked at the Mongolian as one of our members.

Well, this person parted ways with the group, and now he is telling people that the group I am a part of is banned from the Mongolian shop; and he is currently talking with Jim (the owner?) about banning the group completely from CoRF.

Is this something that can be done?  The guy (Mac) just works at the Mongolian, he's not the shop owner.  And how/why would he attempt to ban our group from the Ren-fest?

Any ideas on what to do with this?  Is there someone that the higher-ups in my group can contact from the CoRF and find out if this is actually happening?

pktaxwench

Seeing as Jim Paradise, the owner, has been in Pittsburgh the past two months, and that faire has probably been his entire focus, I somehow doubt he'd care about any petty little group dramas back in Colorado.  Honestly, until they're back in town later this month, no one is going to be able to successfully contact them. 

I'd contact the main office in Caslte Rock and leave a message for him with the office staff.  If someone is dropping his name to further their own petty gains, he'll probably want to know about it so he can bitchslap them down.  He does that.   Follow up if you don't hear from him/them in a few weeks.  They're a bit busy wrapping up the other show.

CapnJack

I agree with pktaxwench.  Furthermore, I don't think any peon from Mongolian is going to get an entire ren group banned from the faire.  I'm pretty sure I know which group you're talking about, and frankly I don't think Jim or any of the other "Powers that Be" even care enough to go so far as banning it.  I mean, I guess they could ban each individual associated with the group, but that would be pretty excessive.  Besides, what do they have to gain by doing that?  It's ludicrous.  I think the guy is just trying to bully you.
If the Mongolian shop wants to refuse service to you, they could probably do that, but I wouldn't be worried about getting kicked out of Larkspur unless you really do something to personally piss Jim off.

To be honest, you should be fine without taking any action whatsoever.  In fact, that's probably the least risky route.  Just ignore him.  If you're lucky, he'll make such a nuisance of himself about it that he'll pay for it eventually.  Or, you could do what pktaxwench said, and leave a message telling the Powers that Be that someone is using Jim's name to bully you, and you want it to stop.  'Course, this could lead to unforeseen complications.  I find it's usually best to turn the other cheek in instances such as this.

Hope that helps.
"I've been through some terrible things in my life.  Some of which have actually happened."

-Mark Twain

Mattrim

Don't be too worried about being banned froim the mongolian shop either.  everything sold there is from this web site.  http://budk.com/default.asp
and you can get the same prices that they buy for.

Platt

Platt thinks you shouldn't worry about it.   Renny-Fest is a little under a year away, and by then, Platt thinks most peopleys won't even remember what was said today. It sounds like persony is just angry, and is probably saying things he doesn't mean as a way of blowing off steam.

If you really think it's a problem, Platt suggests talking to the uppy-uppers of your group, and tell them of your concerns, so they can look into it and take action if necessary.

But honestly, Platt thinks its just a bitter person trying to cause drama... 
Bouncy Bouncy *Thump*  OW!  Platt's Nose!

CapnJack

"I've been through some terrible things in my life.  Some of which have actually happened."

-Mark Twain

Aernn

I wouldn't take it seriously.
All know that only bards and pregnant women need ever explain themselves ~ Unknown (otherwise saying, can't remember)

Saber

Not to speak poorly of someone (well... only a little...) the fella in question has a tendency to throw temper tantrums at anything that doesnt go his way... Not to mention having heard personally a number of times how this guy most assuredly hates J.P. and the PtB at the faire with a passion, it's a safe bet that the Higher-ups names are being taken in vain.  Further, no business owner would outright ban a whole mess of customers (and employees that are affiliated with same group) and expect to maintain decent cashflow in.

As platt said, talk with the higherups of your group, most of the local ren groups do bring a lot to the faire without the faire having to do much outside of exist, and it is probably a safe bet that free performers and entertainment that people return in hopes of catching, wouldnt be banned... then everyone loses out.

Let it ride and talk to your group.

Angelhood

I also have known the person in question for more years than I'd care to count. And also have dealt with him at another faire besides CORF. I've observed that he tends to harbor the same feelings towards whomever runs or has the "power" at whichever faire he's at. I've yet to hear him say something nice about whomever is in charge.

I agree with Saber and everybody....let it ride....it'll probably blow itself out before Spring hits the hills of Larkspurshire.