News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Uh..yeah.. Kona cotton, anyone?

Started by ADraeger, October 03, 2008, 01:06:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ADraeger

I know muslin, I know batiste, but what in the heck is Kona?  Has anyone on here used/it worked with it?  Like it?  Would it be an appropriate fabric for a skirt?  Gramercy, Ladies and Lords, for your assistance. :)

DragonWing

Here is what I found on it.

http://www.fabric.com/quilting-fabric-quilt-backing-broadcloth-kona-cotton-.aspx

Hope that helps a little. First time I heard of it too.
Dragon rider and mage,
(aka Vince)

gem

Kona cotton is a beautiful, deliciously soft, slightly more expensive version of cotton broadcloth or quilter's cotton.  Welsh is right--it's a DREAM to sew with.  I made my corded petticoat from it, and wanted to curl up and go to sleep on it, it was so soft and cozy.

It would make a wonderful shift or smock, very nice baby garb, etc.  Because of the amazingly soft hand, it might not have quite enough body for a skirt.  I guess you'll just have to buy some and find out, won't you?!  ;)

tigerlilly

Kona Cotton is a brand name.  It's great for skirts.  It is a little heavier than Joann's Country Classic 100% cotton broadcloth.  It makes garb skirts feel that more substantial and like actual pieces of clothing, as opposed to a costume.

ADraeger

oOOOoo.. This sounds exciting. :)  Thanks for link, Dragon, and for all of y'alls advice, as usual. :)  I greatly appreciate it. 

With Love and Blessings,
Amber

P.S. The petticoat is beautiful, Gem! I love the peach. :)

Muffin

Quote from: tigerlilly on October 03, 2008, 03:15:08 PM
Kona Cotton is a brand name.  It's great for skirts.  It is a little heavier than Joann's Country Classic 100% cotton broadcloth.  It makes garb skirts feel that more substantial and like actual pieces of clothing, as opposed to a costume.

I have made several skirts out of Kona Cotton, it holds up really well, and is very easy to work with!!
A Captains Wench

It's always Beer:30 here....

*sigh* So many kilts, so little time......

Ette

Athena

Add another fan of Kona cotton! It costs more that regular broadcloth, but if you use Jo Ann's 40% off coupon like Wenchie recommended, you'll get a good deal on it. You can sign up to receive coupons on the Jo Ann website.
A book is like a garden carried in the pocket. ~ Chinese Proverb

Pascal

I've used Kona cotton for a number of things -- the thread count isn't in the egyptian cotton arena, but it's definitely higher than regular broadcloth.  Because it's more substantial, but still light enough to be comfortable, I've used it for breeches (need the lightweight in the South!)  Have also done several skirts, including a petal skirt.  I usually buy it at Hancock's when it goes on sale -- typically to $2 or $3 a yard.  Lots and lots of colors, too.

Dayna

One more garment maker in favour of Kona.  It's a bit heavier than plain cotton, yet not too heavy, it makes skirts that are still cool and allow the air to pass without being as 'see through' as many of the skirts for sale at faires.  You Don't see the shadow of the legs if you're standing with the sun behind you, as you can with the regularly $2.99 cotton.  Use the coupon, stock up, it's got a nice weight and drape for the unseen parts of underskirts too, your heavy forepanel panel won't sag.

Dayna
Dayna Thomas
Nixie's Mom
Bristol FoF Hench
Education Goddess...yeah, right
FoF Merchant Liason/Merchandizing Maven