News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Robin Hood Book

Started by Brother Gregory, October 06, 2008, 07:43:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brother Gregory

I'm looking for a good book about Robin Hood. I was at a Renaissance festival this weekend that a group from Colorado was at. They put on several displays about Robin Hood and Sherwood Forest and in talking with them I'm now interested in learning more about Robin Hood.

Poldugarian Warrior

I have an old paperback book printed during the 1980's titled The Outlaws of Sherwood, and it tells the stories of Robin Hood, based on the old ballads, but gives insights into the political climate of England at that time and why there was a class struggle. It's a novel really, but well done. It gives Robin Hood more creedence as a historical figure whom has had his story misconstrued and exaggerated to the point of mere fiction. Through this book, you get all the characters stories really and can see that it took Robin and his merry men more than what is depicted in movies. A movie though about Robin Hood I found more informational and at times more entertaining than the Kevin Costner one, was the one with Uma Thurman playing the role of Maid Marion, and I couldn't figure out who played Robin. But, it held tmore true to the original ballads. So good luck on that other search, but I figured, maybe if you can't find that one look this one up.

NoBill Lurker

The movie that your looking for PW is...

Robin Hood (1991)
So what are you doing this weekend?
I'm going to BARF!!!
You're going to...wait...WHAT???

Poldugarian Warrior

Thanks for that link, I'll have to pick that one up. I just hope Brother Gregory found his books he was looking for. Give us an update, Brother Greg.

Brother Gregory

Yes I did I was able to find the OUtlaws of Sherwood and have bought it from Amazon and it should be here today.

Poldugarian Warrior

Thanks for taking my advice. I hope you like the book, I know I did. A teacher back in 9th grade was getting rid of many of the books in his collection which were more like novels, but with serious historical over tones in some or poetic works, which some were actually based on real events and people. I for one wasn't a big fan of fiction novels, or poetry, I mostly read popular mechanics, popular science, hot rod mags, and books about the major wars which were writ like reference,but my teacher told me how historically based they were and I started to read them and was hooked and couldn't believe that some of the best fiction books were actually based on real events or were books that were read by our ancestors.  One of the favorites I picked up was Dante's Inferno. There were some other good ones, but I couldn't have them all I had to share. So I did. And I figure there are probably more fiction works out there that need to be researched to find the truth in them.