News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Favorite Pub For Rennies?

Started by William_MacKean, October 15, 2008, 09:03:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What Pub Is Your Favorite?

Dubliner
Claddagh
Merlin's
Keegan's
Other (Specify)

William_MacKean

In the interest of market research (and where to find you mowfawkers outside of Fest) I am curious as to where most rennies hang out.

escherblacksmith

but I also like the Local, Liffey, Kiernan's, O'Gara's (on occasion).

And Brits for Lawnbowling.
--

groomporter

There's also Kieran's Irish Pub in downtown Mpls.

And I don't think many people know about Kips Irish Pub in St. Louis Park http://www.kipspub.com/ We're probably going to be checking it out this Friday.

The Half-time Rec used to be the main festival hangout, but it's now a country music bar.
There was also the Irish Well (torn down for a Menard's store)

Merlin's Rest was trying to regain the Irish Well's popularity (It's partially owned by the former owner of the Well) but Bedlam/Renfair Tuesdays didn't catch on as well as they hoped and they tried rotating other festival bands, but it was during the slow time in summer when people want to be outside more, and have now dropped bands altogether on Tuesday.

The Dubliner was attracting the younger Renfair crowd who followed Drunk & Disorderly (as opposed to the older-aged Bedlam crowd.) but my impression is that it's not as much of a mainstay that it had been (especially after DnD had a falling out with the Dubliner). Thursday nights in August the Durty Nellys are currently playing and some fest people are showing up.

The Claddagh has been an occasional gathering place for the R/F.com crowd, but not so much of a weekly hangout as other places have been.

I think the same goes for Keegan's. It attracts festies on occasion, especially if there's a festival band playing there, (Reve du Faun had a regular gig for a while) but it's never been a weekly joint for festies as some of the ones mentioned above have been.

When you die can you donate your body to pseudo-science?

Marietta Graziella

My vote is terribly biased since I haven't been to the other pubs because of location.

As an addendum to my vote I must say that Claddaugh, for me, is mostly about the company since the service has been so hit/miss lately.  I realize that parties are a bit more difficult to coordinate but just having lunch with my brother landed us free food because of the horrendous service.  :-\

The food has always been hot and delicious so I keep hoping the service will be more hit than miss.
Nothing clever to say here.  Not enough caffine yet.

Muffin

I have to say I prefer Merlin's over the Claddaugh. It's much smaller and has more of a pub feel to me. Whereas The Claddaugh is more like going to a restaurant (well except for the Book of Cheese.. hee hee!)

I enjoyed Brit's as well and would like to go back there again..

All have great food, and good beer, so really you can't go wrong!!!  ;D

A Captains Wench

It's always Beer:30 here....

*sigh* So many kilts, so little time......

Ette

DeadBishop

I voted for both the Claddagh and Merlin's.  I like the fact that the Claddagh can accommodate larger parties, and I like Merlin's for the small pub atmosphere. 

R/F.com member since 2003

Rune

I like the Claddagh for the food...but Merlin's is still my favorite...I haven't been to the Dubliner yet, but it looks teeny.  The Liffy looks like it might be fun, but I haven't been there either. also the happy gnome just sounds fun.  Special mention for the Chatterbox pub in Highland Park, you can rent and play old school Nintendo and Sega games there while you eat and drink :)
Recommended by 4 out of 5

Sitara

I live in WI so all these are way to far for me.  I go to Paddy Ryan's.  It's only a half mile a way and is about a year old now.
Beer wenches are the best wenches!

groomporter

The Dubliner is just a bar, no food, and I see the layout of the Dubliner as one of the drawbacks especially when there's a band playing. The stage is against the long wall opposite the bar, so only 3-4 tables can sit directly in front of the band. Also, the last time we heard DnD play there the house speakers were blown-out trash, so if the band doesn't bring their own speakers, the music suffers a lot.

One of the nice things about Merlins (or the old Half Time) is the two rooms, so you can sit on the bar side if you want to get away from the noise of the band a little and have a conversation.

Of course there's http://www.mcmahonsirishpub.net/ as well on Lake Street, but they only occasionally have Irish/Celtic bands. But the food is supposed to be fairly good.

As use can guess, one of my preferences is live music. In addition to a decent food menu.
When you die can you donate your body to pseudo-science?

Noble Dreg

God how I miss Sherlock's Home!  Was a great victorian gentleman's pub/micro brewery.  The Beef Wellington with a Stag's Head stout was hev'n on earth!  Actually learned to like vinegar chips there.

I "grew up" in Uptown but am now a firm suburbanite, I pretty much stick to Claddagh as it is in my "comfort zone".  This from a guy who used to live and work downtown many moons ago...
"Why a spoon cousin? Why not an axe?"
Because it's dull you twit, it'll hurt more. Now SEW, and keep the stitches small

Kiss-me-Kate

Quote from: groomporter on October 15, 2008, 09:25:43 AM

And I don't think many people know about Kips Irish Pub in St. Louis Park http://www.kipspub.com/ We're probably going to be checking it out this Friday.

I have been to Kips and wasn't impressed.  It was pretty disappointing actually.   
I mush prefer the Claddagh.

There's that place in Excelsior too, can't remember the name.   We went there last winter for someone's birthday.  They were a tad on the spendy side if I remember.

We don't usually hang out at any specific place.  For a pub night, we usually either hit the Claddagh or Merlin's. 
Otherwise we meet and do other activities-like a party at someone's house, bowling etc.
It isn't necessarily a "regular" thing either.
Just watch this "Minnesota" thread to see if someone throws an open invite out, or watch/subscribe to the Pub Night thread to see if anyone tries to get one set up that week.
Oh and Dreg, I miss Sherlock's too. 
~ Notouchin' M'Crack
Pucker Up!

Vexed Viscount

I guess I don't have a favorite, but now I have a good list of places to check out  ;)
"A witty Saying proves nothing" -Voltaire

Storm

When it comes to pubs I prefer something close to home! Close is good! I usually hang out at the places within 10 minutes of my house. Of course, none of the pubs mentioned is even close to being within 10 minutes of Lakeville!

That being said, we always really have enjoyed the Claddagh. We just aren't enamored with the hour drive there, which is why we don't go to pub nights there anymore. We keep meaning to check Merlins Rest out. That's probably about a half hour away, but who knows when we will actually do that.

The pub I do go to with some regularity is O'Gara's in downtown St. Paul. That's hockey central for me and a some of my friends. A great place to hang out before the games at the X. They have really good food there. Of course, Alary's is another GREAT place in St. Paul. Anyone who has ever been there will know why I said that!....LoL. The Liffy is pretty good too. We hit there after the games.

der idee_mann

Quote from: Kiss-me-Kate on October 15, 2008, 01:36:30 PM
Quote from: groomporter on October 15, 2008, 09:25:43 AM

I have been to Kips and wasn't impressed.  It was pretty disappointing actually.   
I mush prefer the Claddagh.

There's that place in Excelsior too, can't remember the name.   We went there last winter for someone's birthday.  They were a tad on the spendy side if I remember.

We don't usually hang out at any specific place.  For a pub night, we usually either hit the Claddagh or Merlin's. 
Otherwise we meet and do other activities-like a party at someone's house, bowling etc.
It isn't necessarily a "regular" thing either.
Just watch this "Minnesota" thread to see if someone throws an open invite out, or watch/subscribe to the Pub Night thread to see if anyone tries to get one set up that week.
Oh and Dreg, I miss Sherlock's too. 

Is the place your thinking of in Excelsior "Jack O'connors" nice place main bar and dining main floor and a small pub setting downstairs occasionaly live music in the pub, people say the food is really good but I have only gone drinking there.

Marietta Graziella

Quote from: Vexed Viscount on October 15, 2008, 01:50:50 PM
I guess I don't have a favorite, but now I have a good list of places to check out  ;)

Does this mean a pub crawl when you get home?   ;D  If you wear the kilt, I'll follow you anywhere.  :P
Nothing clever to say here.  Not enough caffine yet.