News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Moving Day

Started by Lady Figaro, October 17, 2008, 11:55:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Storm

Quote from: Lady Figaro on November 08, 2008, 09:20:10 PM
We were going to stop in Colorado on the way to Arizona, but there are snow and rain storms expected on Sunday and Monday.  We didn't want to take the chance of the pass south of Colorado Springs being closed, so we're going straight to Arizona.  We're take 80 West to Arizona.  We should be west of Amarillo by tomorrow night - depending on how long Fig spends at the museum!   ::)

Which route are you guys taking Lady Fig? If you end up going through Colorado, The Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs is probably another place Fig would really enjoy seeing.
[/quote]
[/quote]

Ya, I kinda figured that when you said you were in Kansas. I have an uncle and aunt in New Mexico and my family has driven down there several times over the years to see them. The "north" route goes through Nebraska and Colorado, and that's the route we took in the summer. The "south" route basically takes I-35 all the way to I-40 and that was the route we took in late fall and winter months for just the purpose you mentioned. You don't want to get caught in Colorado by the Rockies when a winter storm rumbles through.

I hated that south route, Boring as all heck!...

Lord Figaro

We're on the southern route, but we are veering off it to go to the museum tomorrow. It's the The Mid-America Air Museum in Liberal, KS. From the write up in the AAA book it sounds like it should be pretty cool. We're taking it easy on the drive though. There isn't a rush to get into Arizona yet, seeing as how going to Colorado is out due to weather. But we're looking at the trip right now as a kind of vacation.  The dogs are just chilling out on the ride. I was worried about if they were going to handle the long ride. But so far so good. Tonight we called it an early day and stopped at a hotel in Emporia Kansas. Still a little cooler weather wise than we were hoping for, but we're heading south, so it'll get better soon enough. Well we'll chat at cha laters, with an on the road update.
Those who do not remember their past are condemned to repeat their mistakes.

George Santayana

Synnovea

I've been stuck in Colorado due to a snowstorm closing the pass...NOT fun!  Especially when everyone else is scrambling for rooms, too.   :o :o

Enjoy the museum!  Glad you were able to take off when you wanted to.   Continued safe travels to you!!!

Marietta Graziella

Good to hear that things are going well so far. 

May the wind be always at your back, my friends.

MG
Nothing clever to say here.  Not enough caffine yet.

Kiss-me-Kate

Drive/Travel safely my dears.
~ Notouchin' M'Crack
Pucker Up!

Lady Figaro

Thanks, Kate!

Well, we made it Liberal, KS today and tomorrow morning we hit the Air museum that Fig wants to see.  Then we'll be on our way to the next town.   :)
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away.

Storm

Quote from: Lady Figaro on November 09, 2008, 04:35:57 PM
Thanks, Kate!

Well, we made it Liberal, KS today and tomorrow morning we hit the Air museum that Fig wants to see.  Then we'll be on our way to the next town.   :)

Perhaps...

"Amarillo by Morning"?..

Sorry...I couldn't resist!..LoL

Lord Figaro

I was saying the exact same thing Stormy LOL.  We checked into the hotel and had dinner, and was surprised to find out we could smoke inside the place. That was a shocker. As far as we knew Kansas has the same law MN does, but maybe they don't enforce it way out here? We drove through one town that you could tell was rebuilding from a tornado. The thing must have hit in dead center of the town, cuz it was wasted.

It's strage driving through the state though. The highway we took is a little off the beaten path. You can drive for miles of nothing, then poof, you drive through a town with nothing but flat lands around it. Maybe it's just me, but it just looks weird.   

George Santayana

Lady Figaro

We should have no surprises tomorrow morning!  We should we should have more info in the morning

` ;D
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away.

Lady Figaro

Just a quick update - we made it to Albuquerque tonight.  Going to check out a couple of things tomorrow morning and then we're going to head for Sedona.  So far, everything is going great!

Lord Figaro

You forgot to mention that bunch of tumble weeds rolling across the road like a heard of cats on route 54 in Texas.

I got some great pics of the air museum for you ND. I think of all, you'll like them the most. Won't be for a little while though. Once we're all set up in the new place.

George Santayana

Capt. Bacardi

Dreg is not the only one that wants to see plane pictures.  :o  >:(

Glad to hear the trip is going good.  ;D
BLOODY HELL!!!!
..It is only a flesh wound..
Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

Muffin

Quote from: Lady Figaro on November 10, 2008, 09:16:10 PM
Just a quick update - we made it to Albuquerque tonight.  Going to check out a couple of things tomorrow morning and then we're going to head for Sedona.  So far, everything is going great!

Oooooohhhh Sedona is sooooo pretty!!!! Take lots of pictures!!!!

Safe travels my friends!!  :-*

(it's snowing here, and they are saying ice and crap later... boooooo!!! AND its only going to be in the 20's this weekend.. ack!! you made your get a way just in time!!!)
A Captains Wench

It's always Beer:30 here....

*sigh* So many kilts, so little time......

Ette

Lady Figaro

I heard about the snow and I'm glad we got out!   ;D  It's about 50 degrees down here and sunny.  I will be sure to take lots of pictures of Sedona.  We got a lot of pretty ones from the drive through New Mexico.

Drive safely!!!

Lord Figaro

Well, time for my little update to the drive so far. We started the day off checking out old town Albuquerque, and picked up this cool painting by a local artist. Tonight we are in Flagstaff, since every hotel in Sedona doesn't allow smoking. We'll be heading down to Sedona to check it out tomorrow, then up to the Grand Canyon probably.

Most of the pictures I have are of WW2 aircraft. Only a few jets and other odd aircraft. They had a B-24 hanging from the cealing. It looked a little small to me. But they said it was a real one. I thought it would have been closer to the size of a B17, and this one was no where near it.

The drive was cool, I remember first seeing this mountain in the way off distance thinking, crap there's white stuff up there. There's a little of it here on the ground. But I'm ignoring it.  The link bellow is to a pic of the thing behind the city itself. It might even be near where we are staying? It's beautiful to look at. But it's to high up for my liking.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/76/Flagstaff_AZ_USA_315_8.JPG

I will say however, I'm getting tired of driving up a hill. But seeing as how Kingman is at 3,333 ft and Flagstaff is at 6,910 ft. I'm looking forward to going downward when we head that way. I think the car is getting tired of it too. After driving several hours, it doesn't hold the speed as well going upwards. Maybe we'll also save on gas too. We can coast a little instead of fighting the climb?

Oh and no I'm not up early. Ain't it great to get insomnia, after driving all day..........nooooot!!!!!!!!!!

George Santayana