News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Started by Goody, November 17, 2008, 11:29:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goody

So it appears the MNRF 2009 season is a week later than usual?!?! Right!? According to the website. That means I don't hafta miss my local train festival and I can still go to all the weekends of MNRF!!

Leyla

They have a new website up already?

der idee_mann

Open August 22nd through October 4th 2009 according to the website ...

Muffin

Quote from: majikboxman on November 17, 2008, 12:43:47 PM
Harvest Moon in 2009 is on October 4th.  How can you have a harvest festival with-out a harvest moon ?

Oh!!!! Fabulous!!!!  ;D
A Captains Wench

It's always Beer:30 here....

*sigh* So many kilts, so little time......

Ette

Hatter

That will mess up all the folks that go to TRF after our festival.  This will cause a week overlap. 

Leyla

Yes, but it should also mean less overlap at the start with Bristol.

groomporter

Actually TRF usually starts the second weekend of October, but it will certainly make it tighter for some people to get there. But both MNRF and MIRF are now looking at overlapping the Carolina show which normally starts the first weekend of October. I know Zilch the Toreysteller goes to Carolina, as well as Twig and the Tortugas. I also count at least a dozen crafters on the Carolina show website ( http://tinyurl.com/6lprgc ) I recognize who will have to deal with this some how as well.

Word is that from now on Mid-America wants to keep having four weekends after Labor Day, regardless of when September ends, since those weekends are always the highest attended.
When you die can you donate your body to pseudo-science?

Lady Renee Buchanan

Quote from: Leyla on November 17, 2008, 06:55:59 PM
Yes, but it should also mean less overlap at the start with Bristol.

The last day for Bristol is Labor Day, which in 2009 is Monday, Sept. 7th, so there will be a 3 week overlap with Bristol if MN starts on Aug. 22nd.
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

William_MacKean

That last weekend will be a dark one.  Possibly colder and more wet, too.

That could put a damper on Cast Party.

Sitara

Quote from: William_MacKean on November 18, 2008, 11:02:54 AM
That last weekend will be a dark one.  Possibly colder and more wet, too.

That could put a damper on Cast Party.

Not last season, but the one before it, it was downpouring and freezing out for cast party.  It didn't seem any quieter or subdued though.
Beer wenches are the best wenches!

Storm

I am glad they are pushing things back one weekend!

If I had my druthers, MNRF wouldn't open up until Labor Day weekend and would run through the 2nd weekend in October every year. Those 1st 2 weekends in August can still be really hot. It's no wonder attendance is better after Labor Day. The weekends are milder! Gin and I had several mundane friends come this year and I am pretty sure they all came out in September. I know weather was a factor in them deciding which weekend to come. I know these past couple of years those 1st weekends in October have been nice and would have been perfect days for faire.

As for the overlap. I guess that don't matter to me since it's not like I go to any of the faires we overlap with anyway. As for vendors and actors. I suspect that this is a problem they are already familiar with and have ways to deal with it.

escherblacksmith

I don't suspect it matters when it ends, end of Sept. and Beginning of October can can be 39 and snowy to 90 and humid . . . or something betwixt.
--

groomporter

Quote from: Storm on November 18, 2008, 04:00:53 PM
As for vendors and actors. I suspect that this is a problem they are already familiar with and have ways to deal with it.

Well, normally the MNRF schedule has been stable, always ending the last weekend of September, so competing with Carolina has not happened before and it is definitely going to catch some of the circuit people off guard, some don't have enough product and displays to do two shows at once, or don't have shop help in place who can open a booth in the owner's absence. Nothing was said to us at the end of the season so it's going to come as a surprise to most crafters when they get their information packets come January.

Storm

Quote from: groomporter on November 18, 2008, 06:56:49 PM
Quote from: Storm on November 18, 2008, 04:00:53 PM
As for vendors and actors. I suspect that this is a problem they are already familiar with and have ways to deal with it.

Well, normally the MNRF schedule has been stable, always ending the last weekend of September, so competing with Carolina has not happened before and it is definitely going to catch some of the circuit people off guard, some don't have enough product and displays to do two shows at once, or don't have shop help in place who can open a booth in the owner's absence. Nothing was said to us at the end of the season so it's going to come as a surprise to most crafters when they get their information packets come January.

My guess is Mid America will do whats best (I.E. most profitable) for MNRF. If that means running later and over lapping with another faire then so be it. It's all about the mighty dollar it seems.

Perhaps its a moot point though. I just checked Carolinas web sight and their faire doesn't open until October 10th in 2009. So there won't be any overlap between the 2, at least for next year.

groomporter

Quote from: Storm on November 19, 2008, 05:49:14 AM
Perhaps its a moot point though. I just checked Carolinas web sight and their faire doesn't open until October 10th in 2009. So there won't be any overlap between the 2, at least for next year.

Woohoo!