News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Amazing Mugs!

Started by Dev, November 19, 2008, 06:26:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dev

I found 2 mugs at goodwill.

One is all metal of some sort with "JF" on the side.  Those happen to be my boyfriend's initials and he may dress up next year, so I bought it.  I also found a slightly smaller one, mostly metal with a glass bottom and a faux-leather band around it, which I claim.

Total: $3.26

Taffy Saltwater

Don't you just love segundas (seconds)?  I've found beautiful pewter tankards, baskets & even a mink capelet that I was informed would be verra expensive to buy new.  Congratulations on your new additions!
Sveethot!

Codi Lyn

Awesome! I should go to Goodwill more often. ^_^
M'name's Cordelia Lyn, m'lards and ladies... Shall I be takin' ye portraits with me film of yon Fuji?

Dev

I've developed a fascination for old glass objects such as vases, ash trays, goblets and custard dishes.  I once found a set of amber glass shot glasses that looked perfect for jager...should have bought them.

I don't buy any though because I have no space for anything like that.

Var Greyshadow

That is an awesome find, especially if they're pewter!!  My evil twin's fox-handle pewter tankard was a lot less of a steal at $9.

My coup was a wood pony bow from the antique mall for $20.  Exactly what I wanted for the Ranger's hunting bow I tie to my quiver!
"All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost..." ~J.R.R. Tolkien "The Fellowship of the Ring"

BagPipeBabe

I should go to goodwill! I wonder if they have any good boots.

Lady Ann of Draycott

You never know what you're going to find at a Goodwill or Secondhand Store...we have a store here called Second Chance where all of the profit goes to charity, I like to go in there every once in awhile, like I said before...you never know what you're going to find!  ;)
Collector of Wine and Roses
Clan McLotofus Elder
Landshark No. 96

BLAKDUKE

Quite a lot of mine and my wifes accesorries, jewelry and such have come from goodwill, salvation army, yard sales, flea markets etc.
When asked by some one what style is our house decorated in, we simply smile and tell them 'early american flea market'........ 
Ancient swordsman/royalty
Have Crown/Sword Will Travel

Friar Rohn the Chronicler

OK....I'm going to to the opposite direction of the Goodwill Store. This summer, we were putting together the suit and accessories for my nephew's noble class suit. Mugs and tankards are the predominant accessories that set aside everyone from the other. I looked through countless online stores. Celtic, viking, medieval, Dugeons and Dragons.....you name it and I probably glanced at it. None seemed to really stand out as different. Until my wife hit one of her usual antique stores and mentioned it to one of the owners. She was forwarded a list of European antiquities auctions and we went through a lot of them and branched out from their Links areas. We came across this one from a Swedish antiquities clearing house. It was made between 1820 to 1840, it apparently had never been cleaned and had a extremely heavy layer of tarnish on the interior. Now we bought for him to drink out of but didn't really have a idea how to restore it. We showed it to one of the curators from a local museum who told us how to clean it (but thought we were nuts). You know what was the best thing was to remove almost a couple of hundred years of brass?

Heinz Ketchup.

Here's a couple of photos of it:

The second photo is Alexei at last weekend's Boares Head Feaste. I was bouncing around taking photos most of the night and he told me later that "some man came over and offered him the cash for 3 video games of his choice for the tankard".

Jack Daw at Work

Quote from: Dev on November 19, 2008, 06:26:03 PM
I found 2 mugs at goodwill.

One is all metal of some sort with "JF" on the side.  Those happen to be my boyfriend's initials and he may dress up next year, so I bought it.  I also found a slightly smaller one, mostly metal with a glass bottom and a faux-leather band around it, which I claim.

Total: $3.26

Jiminy!  That beats what I've paid on eBay.
Steve "Jack Daw" McIntyre

"The honour the Sleat Carpenter obtained...is still preserved for his descendants."

WackyWoodWorks

WackyWoodWorks makes wooden mugs.  Not cheap, but very beautiful.  I suppose it would be bad form to put a link here?

Jack Daw at Work

Quote from: Friar Rohn the Chronicler on November 21, 2008, 06:18:21 PM
OK....I'm going to to the opposite direction of the Goodwill Store. This summer, we were putting together the suit and accessories for my nephew's noble class suit. Mugs and tankards are the predominant accessories that set aside everyone from the other. I looked through countless online stores. Celtic, viking, medieval, Dugeons and Dragons.....you name it and I probably glanced at it. None seemed to really stand out as different. Until my wife hit one of her usual antique stores and mentioned it to one of the owners. She was forwarded a list of European antiquities auctions and we went through a lot of them and branched out from their Links areas. We came across this one from a Swedish antiquities clearing house. It was made between 1820 to 1840, it apparently had never been cleaned and had a extremely heavy layer of tarnish on the interior. Now we bought for him to drink out of but didn't really have a idea how to restore it. We showed it to one of the curators from a local museum who told us how to clean it (but thought we were nuts). You know what was the best thing was to remove almost a couple of hundred years of brass?

Heinz Ketchup.

Here's a couple of photos of it:

The second photo is Alexei at last weekend's Boares Head Feaste. I was bouncing around taking photos most of the night and he told me later that "some man came over and offered him the cash for 3 video games of his choice for the tankard".

I'm not a metallurgist, but it was my understanding that old brass alloys could have lead.  I would be cautious about drinking from this tankard without having the metal tested for lead.
Steve "Jack Daw" McIntyre

"The honour the Sleat Carpenter obtained...is still preserved for his descendants."

Lady Neysa

Goodwill and other second hand stores can be a treasure trove of garbing materials and accessories.  It can be very hit or miss though.  Once a found a pewter mug, or at least what looked like pewter, with a cool dragon design etched on it, for $6.  WHY I didn't buy it is beyond me....

Taffy Saltwater

I bought a great ice bucket last weekend in the form of a pewter stein (but I'm sure it's aluminum).
Sveethot!

Lady Christina de Pond

taffy easy way to tell. Pewter heavy aluminum light
Helmswoman of the Fiesty Lady
Lady Ashley of De Coals
Militissa in the Frati della Beata Gloriosa Vergine Mari