News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

christmas tree with a medieval theme

Started by claymore, November 28, 2008, 06:10:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

claymore

This year my wife and I wanted to do a medieval themed Christmas tree. Any thoughts as to what you all would put on it.

Celtic Lady

Well... if you could find some knights, castles, dragons in ornaments that could be a start. Possibly find some tartan material and weave it in through the branches. Perhaps some kilt pins that look like swords/daggers could be turned into ornaments.

Lady Renee Buchanan

We got a beautiful blown glass sword from the glassblower at Bristol and Tennesee to hang on our tree. 

If you are crafty, get either some pretty paper or nice material, if you can sew, and make tiny cone hats out of it, with some ribbon and netting streaming from the top, like childrens' princess hats.  Several of them in different colors would be pretty.

Unicorn ornaments, small brass musical instruments (I've seen ornaments like that in Hobby Lobby), like minstrels would play.  You could print out some medieval paintings on the computer, cut them so you have 1 or 2 people in it, laminate it, and have portrait ornaments.  Or you could take pictures of you in your garb to turn into ornaments. Also in Hobby Lobby, I've seen fleur de lys ornaments.  If you go to flea markets or garage sales, sometimes you can find cameo pins that you could hang on the tree.

Because of the fire hazard, I wouldn't suggest using real candles, but we have a couple of strands of candle lights that look really nice, and candles are what they would have used back then.

If you've collected any favors from people when you were at faire, you could hang them on the tree.  One favor that was given to me is a portrait pin of Queen Elizabeth I. I could see that on a tree as an ornament.  If you could find pewter shot glasses that look like goblets or mugs (I've seen them on Ebay), you could hang them from the tree.

Be sure to post pictures!  I'd love to see a tree like that!

A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich