News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Where to find...

Started by Selkie, December 06, 2008, 08:46:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Selkie

Cotton gauze that's already dyed? I want to make a peasant blouse to go under a corset and I'd like to find an online store that regularly sells it for not too much money. Does anyone know of any good sites? There's also the question of would I need to wash it before sewing with to remove the excess dye from it? Thanks for any info you can offer. :)
"I am a woman upon the land, I am a seal in the sea..."

DonaCatalina

Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Adriana Rose

I rinse the fabrics that bleed in about a half a cup of apple cider vineager. Also Dharma Trading has a good dye fixer that rocks my socks!

isabelladangelo

If you can find white or a light color, you can always dye via the washing machine method.  The liquid dyes at the grocery store (not the powders!!!) are really nice and give a lovely even shade.

Miranda

The powder is effective too.  However I recommend dissolving it in hot water before adding to the dye bath.  Stove top dying works really well for the 3 yards or so of fabric needed to make a smock or chemise.  The heat makes for really vibrant colors.  A cup of vinegar and some salt helps those sorts of dye set better.
Lady Margaret Howard -The Order of St. Thomas More.

Randal

I had very good luck dying some unbleached cotton gauze to a nice wine color using Ritz liquid dye. I just followed the directions on the bottle, and so far it has been color fast for two seasons.

Randal
Vive Ut Vive

gem

Fashion Fabrics Club carries colored cotton gauze for $4.00/yard.

Yes, you need to wash it.  You should pretty much wash any fabric before you sew with it--not only to remove excess dye*, but to pre-shrink it, so you don't end up with a chemise that's too small/tight/short after the first wash.

*My professional dyer friend tells me that after the final dye process, there really isn't anything you can do to further set the color, and that some products in deep colors will continue to bleed indefinitely.  Milord has a copper silk shirt that has been soaked and rinsed and soaked and rinsed endlessly, and it still bleeds like it's brand new.  Likewise, I have a couple of pairs of dark-wash jeans, and no matter how many times I wash them, they still turn my fingernails blue (apparently I spend a lot of time with my hands in my pockets).

That said, I'm not sure why gauze should bleed particularly....

Lady L

Our walmart had many colors of cotton gauze, only $1.50 yd, of course it was only 36" wide. I bought several colors...moss green, black, rust, brick, dusty pink, brown. They also had peach, cream, white, blue, very dark brown and more.
Former Shop Owner at MNRF

operafantomet

What do you use cotton gauze for? I don't think I've ever used it (except for special bandages).

Sitara

I use it for chemises as well as for giant tiered gypsy skirts (I know they are not HA but none of my stuff is).
Beer wenches are the best wenches!

Adriana Rose

I like it for skirts and chemises its nice and light weight for the hotter than hells bells days that I get at faire.

It also drapes really nice..  I have a heck of a time getting the hems that I do to lay right though.. It gets really straight and doesn't lay like I want it to

gem

Operafan, it makes lovely, *cool* chemises (great for really hot days, as Adriana Rose mentions).  One of my favorite chemises is from an ivory gauze traced with gold thread.

isabelladangelo

I use it for chemises as well.   I'm really rather fond of it since it's light and breezy.  The heavier type is great for tablecloths or dresses.