News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Just a little early

Started by BLAKDUKE, December 29, 2008, 02:57:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BLAKDUKE

I know the new year is not even here yet but with my wifes company doling out vacation time at the rate of so many hours every payday, we have to plan way ahead as to what faires we attend and when.  So we are planing on attending the Pittsburg faire on one of the days of labor day weekend, most likely Sunday/Monday.  How are the vendors, shops, and food.  These are our main interests.  We have seen most of the acts or variations there-of.  Also who is jousting in the coming year????If that is unknown then who jousted in 2008.?????
Ancient swordsman/royalty
Have Crown/Sword Will Travel

Professor M

Blakduke, the jousters are from Noble Cause Productions. 
http://www.noblecauseproductions.com

I'm not sure what your question is when you ask "How are the vendors, shops, and food."  I'm biased, of course, but I think our vendors are absolutely wonderful.  We have a good mix of nationally-known vendors and local vendors with unique items.  If you're interested in something specific please explain and I'll try to help you out.

What you haven't seen, that you'll enjoy very much, is one of the best street casts ever.  I dare say you could spend your entire visit being caught up in the lives of the people of Morelandshire as they deal with the disruption of Their Majesties' visit.  You're in for a good time.

Oh, and there's an "h" in Pittsburgh.
"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me."
~ C.S. Lewis

BLAKDUKE

Sorry about the "H".   What you described is what I was looking for.  As I said my wife and I do not usually go to the stage shows as we have seen most all of them in their various interrpretations.  We tend more toward shopping, I for weapons/garb and she for jewelry/garb.  Interacting with street characters is also of a prime fun time with us, also interacting with patrons.      We will keep ourselves in readiness and strive greatly to make sure we make this festival.  Th only thing to interfere is if the vacation plans have to change dates.

Scarlett

Blakduke - The shopping at PRF has changed the first two years under the new ownership/management.  While we have lost some good vendors, we've gained other good ones.  I am sure your lady will have no hard time finding shiny sparkly trinkets that please her.  Lord knows Morwyn, April and I find much to buy each year!

As far as weapons, I shall look for DuCouer to speak up as this is more his passion.  Garb - a decent selection.  Keep in mind ours is a small faire.  For comparison, we are about a 1/3 of the size as GLMF (I think, I'm not good with math).  So the selection of vendors is smaller based on size alone.

The entertainment has also changed in the first two years under new mgt.  We've retained and attracted several street performers, however most of the stage acts are "new" compared to the previous ownership.  Cast in Bronze is a big attraction.  If you tend to spend most of your time wandering, shopping and visiting the pub, you'll be quite pleased with PRF.  The main Pirates pub hosts an array of regular rennies who are always delighted to welcome visitors into the fold. Mayhap you've already met a few!

Let us know when you and your lady are coming and we shall welcome thee warmly! 
Mimosas - They're Not Just For Breakfast Anymore
SWG, Chapter 1, co-founding member

Morwyn

Quote from: Scarlett on December 30, 2008, 01:15:29 PM
If you tend to spend most of your time wandering, shopping and visiting the pub, you'll be quite pleased with PRF. 

.....hmmm...in the words of Craig Ferguson....."remind you of anyone?"     ;D

Yes...Scarlett is correct on the shopping...we always manage to find those  'shiny' items we just have to have.....it is a small faire, but so much fun to wander about...however..be warned...if it is a sunny day, have your lady bring a parasol for the upper Sahara....it tends to get hot while shopping!

I did want to mention that Labor Day weekend is Rendevous at MDRF so you may find a lot of the regulars absent that weekend...but please let us know your plans....we love to welcome everyone at early morning tailgate!!

BLAKDUKE

Since Maryland has a strict no weapons policy, it will not see me.  Besides we like to do smaller faires anyway.  They are so much more sociable and friendly.  What has been described sounds like it is right up our alleyway.  We have to go past PittsburgH(got the H this time) anyway to get to our destination, so that will be the plan for now.  Now watch some stupis SOB screw it up.   

DuCoeur

BD I am so sorry that I will miss you When you visit Moreland shire.  Alas, having missed every Rendevous since it's inception, and MDRF being relatively close I will be attending (Yes the No weapons policy stinks but....).

Ok so Weapon Vendors....hmmm.  Well LaForge makes rustic, heavy "Battle Ready"swords.  Not very pretty but would get the Job done...and they carry a few Fantasy, and Stainless "toy" items as well.  There is another Weapons Vendor also in the Seregetti (The nickname for the hot, arid upper level of Moreland shire), yet the name escapes.  He carries a few Windlass pieces, as well as a few Fantasy items as well.

I think, since PRF has only allowed Weapons the past two years (A plus to the new management) that perhaps we shall an expansion of weapons vendors.

Hope it helps.  The Bar Maiden (Meredith) is the best, and for some Great Well made Clothes and great conversation with an amazing lady visit Pleasanly Peasant...Tell them You Know us (DuCoeur, Scarlet and Morwyn) and you will be treated like royalty....HA.

Pittsburgh'ers tend to be cliquey at first, so you may have to approach them.  Tell them who you are and they will welcome you warmly....
I would rather endure a thousand biblical hells then live a life of perpetual inconsequence.

jayadancer

I don't think anyone answered your question about jousting.  In 2008 it was Noble Cause Productions.
~The Mystic Deliria, The Madness Amorous~

Bryan Beard

Yes, we (Noble Cause Productions) have been jousting at the New Pittsburgh Renaissance Festival and will be returning for the 2009 season. We look forward to seeing everyone again this year.
Bryan Beard
Noble Cause Productions
Sir William, Lord of Whitehall

kilted one

Huzzah, It will be great to see you guys again this year.

Da Mayor
....Because it was stapled to the elephant!!!   Ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!!!!

Terry Griffith

Quote from: Bryan Beard on January 12, 2009, 07:30:27 PM
Yes, we (Noble Cause Productions) have been jousting at the New Pittsburgh Renaissance Festival and will be returning for the 2009 season. We look forward to seeing everyone again this year.

Bryan and the rest of the Causers, we are blessed to have such an accomplished company of Knights and Knaves at our faire.  There should be a collective term for that.  How about a "Knot of Knights".  There, 'tis done.

All the best to crew and stable.
"There's a unicorn that's hangin' in what's known as father's room......"

Professor M

Oh good news indeed!  (OOps, I think I slipped into character there.  Sorry.)

Blakduke, you will definitely enjoy the knights of Noble Cause Productions.  I've seen several jousting groups and the knights of Noble Cause are, by far, the most consistently entertaining.

And I'm not just saying that because Sir William might be listening. :-[
"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me."
~ C.S. Lewis

Countess Westmorland

Oh!  Is Mamie coming also?  I am glad you are all coming back!
Skritches from me to the horses. 
Jan
A little song, a little dance, a little rum down your pants!

BLAKDUKE

Quote from: Professor M on January 13, 2009, 11:27:11 AM
Oh good news indeed!  (OOps, I think I slipped into character there.  Sorry.)

Blakduke, you will definitely enjoy the knights of Noble Cause Productions.  I've seen several jousting groups and the knights of Noble Cause are, by far, the most consistently entertaining.

And I'm not just saying that because Sir William might be listening. :-[

And there-in my friend lies the stuff of many a pub arguement and many an ale drunk to settle bets.  I will hold my opinion until I see them for as yet I have not, but I work with Knights of Valor at a number of faires.  I will say not more on it at this time. 

HOoOka

PRF is a nice little fair on two levels.  Most of the vendors are great, some are less interactive than others.
It is NOT paved or level in much the same way O ren is not paved...but there are some very steep hills and it gets quite dangerous in spots if it rains.
take care, and wear proper footgear.

it is by no means Penn Ren or anything like...so dont expect a huge castle welcome.

PRF has absolutely the best street cast I have ever seen.  I regularly visit 6 or 7 festivals and NO ONE has the interaction in the street that you see in Pittsburgh!!!

Finale in song is at the "pirate pub" in the lower circle...a Pittsburgh tradition - I hope we will be able to maintain in 09 and beyond...it's an absolute must to end out the day at PRF!!

Catch a joust if you can bear the heat...but be sure to check out all the other stages because there are some really great little shows!!!

If you need to beat the heat...come on down to Maximum Glitter and get some ren herpies and a gator aid.  I have shade and chairs....and libation for all those who need it.