News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Sword Cloak Patterns?

Started by Don Giovanni de' Medici, December 31, 2008, 04:00:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don Giovanni de' Medici

Salutti Ragazzi,

I am not able to find a pattern for a sword cloak anywhere.  Does anyone have any advice on this or how to draft a good pattern for one?  Grazie!

~Visconte Vincente
Sincero,

Don Giovanni de' Medici
Ambasciatore del Granducato della Toscana
"Dio conserva il Papa"

renren

Renren
Wench  #  3783
Treasure Guardian and giggling interrogator of the "Feisty Lady"

Guppy # 32 ROoL

CapnFayeCutler

Slack'n Penny -  Chieftess, Clan Byrne of the IPB
IFRP# 1264 IWG #3575
RoOL 26 | Castleteer | ETTE

DonaCatalina

I think you are refrring to a semi-circular cloak common in the last 1500's and on.

look here
and here

Then there is the short full circle cloak.
pattern here
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

LadyStitch

If a half circle cloak tapered so it fits better on the shoulder, and has a collar is what you are looking for that is very easy to draft yourself.  I made my husband and his flamingo matching cloaks like that.
It is kind of strange watching your personal history become costume.

Don Giovanni de' Medici

I am not sure, come to think of it.  I like that a full circle cloak can be worn closed in the front if so desired.  What are the major perks and disadvantages to both?

~Visconte Vincente
Sincero,

Don Giovanni de' Medici
"Dio conserva il Papa"

Adriana Rose

Don Giovanni de' Medici

Well in general what are the major differences, everybody?

~Visconte Vincente
Sincero,

Don Giovanni de' Medici
"Dio conserva il Papa"

DonaCatalina

Having never worn one, I can't tell you what the major perks versus disadvantages are. What I can tell you is that the full circle cloak will cover more of your arms and torso and fastens at the neck. It will be warmer to wear.

A half circle cloak is usually worn over one shoulder and will not fully close around you.

Cast members that I have known using half circle cloaks pinned them into place to prevent slippage.
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Master James

I wear a half circle cape, also known as a rapier cape because it could be used to defend with as a sort of swinging sheild when in a rapier fight.  It can be attached in several ways and all are H/A from my research.  You could put button holes in the cape and then place buttons on the doublet to button it to or you can use hook and eyes or simply a long rope or tube of fabric to tie it on.  There is two basic ways to wear it both of which are also H/A.  You can where it continnental style, which is over one shoulder, usually the left shoulder so your sword arm is free.  Or you can wear it English style, which is over both shoulders.  If you are using a tie to hold the cape on there are diffent ways to tie it depending on how you wear it.  If you choose Continnental and wear it off one shoulder, you tie it across your chest but what I have found works best is to tie it under your right arm towards the back.  That way the tie isn't dangling in the front.  If you choose English style over both shoulders, place the cape over both shoulders and pass the tie under your arms and have someone tie it off in the middle of your back.  Just be carefull you don't get it too tight or your shoulders and pits will start hurting by the end of the day.   ::)

As far as advantages/disadvantages between the two types of capes and two ways to wear it, here you go.  First off the shoulder is WAY cooler than on both shoulders.  However on a rainy or cool day, both shoulders is prefereable.  The half cape is obviously WAY lighter than a full circle cape and frankly looks better IMHO.  The full cape is really only good for a full rain day or really cold weather.  Other than that I'd stick with the half cape.  Hope this helps.
Why can't reality be more like faire?
Clan M'Crack
RenVet
Royal Order of Landsharks #59
FoMDRF
RFC #51

Don Giovanni de' Medici

Thanks everyone for your help thus far, but I have yet another question.

Does anyone have any knowledge of the documentation regarding the time periods of the sword cloak?  Is it just Elizabethan or Tudor as well?

Finally does anyone have and good photos of nice nobles sword cloaks, whether modern at a present faire or H/A paintings/sketching?

Grazie Tutti!

~Visconte Vincente
Sincero,

Don Giovanni de' Medici
"Dio conserva il Papa"

DonaCatalina

Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess