News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Morris Dancing

Started by Welsh Wench, January 30, 2009, 03:46:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Welsh Wench

Escarlata posted this on another site and I thought it was too good to keep there and should be shared with the forum. It is a movie about Morris dancing.  I wish it would play stateside.
Hope you don't mind, Esc.

http://www.morrismovie.com/

Never mind that it is my maiden name....
Show me your tan lines..and I'll show you mine!

I just want to be Layla.....

Escarlata

Not at all, sweetie, don't know why I didn't think to post it here. I watched a couple of the Morris dancers' sets at Hoggetowne this past weekend. Having watched the trailer, I was more in tune to watching the athleticism that goes in to the dance. My goodness, what a workout they were getting.
Esc be no lady!
Bringing Good and Bad Dreams...as appropriate
FaireNews-spreading the Joy of Faire, one post at a time

Anna Iram

What a great story! Reminds me a bit of the film that came out a few years back. Billy Elliot I think it was called? About a boy who danced to the beat of his own drum and found his calling ( and happiness).

I'd love to see this! Love it too if we had such dancing at our home faire.

Lady Renee Buchanan

We first saw Morris Dancing at the Camelot Medieval Faire just north of Madison, WI.  It looked rather funny at first, but then they chose audience participants.  I was one of those chosen, and let me tell you, after 10 minutes of dancing, I had a new, healthy respect for the participants.  I was on my last legs, and they weren't winded, even after 30 minutes of dancing before they pulled us up to learn a dance.

Another aside:  I think the giant that the man was dancing on in the film trailer is the Cerne Giant, in the town of Cerne Abbas, only a few miles from my husband's childhood home (where his parents still live) in Weymouth.

When we go to England in March, I plan to see if the film is still in the cinema there and then we'll be sure to see it.
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

GirlChris

From what I've seen, it's not actually in theatres at all yet- they're still looking for a distributor.

It reminds me more of Simply Ballroom, which is excellent because I love that movie.

Welsh Wench

It reminded me of The Full Monty.

With clothes.  :D

Show me your tan lines..and I'll show you mine!

I just want to be Layla.....

Marietta Graziella

I think it looks fantastic!  I'd love to go see this!   I even signed the petition.  ;D
Nothing clever to say here.  Not enough caffine yet.

Marietta Graziella

Quote from: Welsh Wench on January 31, 2009, 05:13:24 PM
It reminded me of The Full Monty.

With clothes.  :D

*OK, completely off topic but...*
At work the other day a young kid needed help with his neck tie.  He was asking me to tie a full Windsor knot.  I started laughing and said I'd never done a full Windsor but I have done the Full Monty.   By the end I was in hysterics at my own cleverness but he didn't get it.  Being so much younger, he'd never seen the movie. 

Youth, it's wasted on the young.

MG
Nothing clever to say here.  Not enough caffine yet.

Lady Renee Buchanan

When we went to England, I really, really wanted to see this film, however, it is in very limited release. 

It was filmed in Dorset, the county where Steve's parents live, and where we spent most of the week.  The Cerne Abbas Giant is only about 15 minutes from their house, and we went for a visit.  However, didn't climb up the hill, but had a good view of him.

The filming company is also in Dorset, and the showings have been limited to selected cities in their town halls.  I contacted them to mention that I had no luck finding a location showing the movie while we were there, and they responded that they are trying to find a national distributor and also an international distributer.

If you click on the link that was posted above,  you can sign a petition asking for it to come to this country.  The more publicity it receives, the more likely a distributor will pick it up.  It looks like a great movie.
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich