News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

ATMs at faire?

Started by Lady Penelope, February 25, 2009, 02:07:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Penelope

I was wondering what other people thought of this issue.
What do you think of ATMs at faires? Are they handy for when you want to make a big purchase you hadn't planned on it, or is it something so modern that it doesn't fit in?
I'd like to hear both opinions.

Lady Penelope

Joyce "Delfinia DuSwallow" Howard

I think its a great idea to have them, many people come to faire for the first time and have no idea what to expect. Much less all the things they can purchase.
MDRF Dandy  "Delfinia DuSwallow"
Sun'n Penny - Clan O'Morda
LandShark #71
Maker of Buttery Nipples

maelstrom0370

The only one I know of at MiRF is tucked away in a back corner of a shop right up front by the Main Gate.  Even if you know where it is, it can be hard to find, so it doesn't "intrude" on any part of the fantasy of Faire.  Besides, not many people (myself included) carry cash anymore so you sorta need an ATM somewhere

DonaCatalina

TRF's and Scarby's are tastefully hidden. We have made use of them a few times when something unexpected came up.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

SirRichardBear

Since the only time I've noticed them they are tucked away and not really noticable I don't see them breaking the illusion.  Its pretty hard to see how given the people in regular clothing using cell phones not to mention cameras, the card machines most ventors use, plastic cups full of beer etc some thing as minor ATM making much of an impression. 

I've used them when I thought I had more than I did and wanted the extra turkey leg or rib to take home to she who must be obeyed.
Beware of him that is slow to anger: He is angry for something, and will not be pleased for nothing.
Benjamin Franklin

sealion

I appreciate the convenience of having ATMs at faire. Most of the shops will take debit and credit cards but not the food and beverage vendors and sometimes you need a little more cash for that unplanned visit to the pastry stand. :) The machines at MIRF (in the food court areas as well as in the souvenier shop) are unobtrusive. The smaller faires I've been to have had portable ATM trailers outside the gate near the ticket booth.
Cindy/Ciana Leonardi di Firenze/Captain Cin

Seryn

Considering most of the rennies I know use things like cameras and cell phones inside the faire (of course, we tend to make a joke of it, calling them "magic talking thin" or what have you) and we use port-a-privvies or (at the larger faires) flushies even, I don't think an ATM is too modern.  Especially since most are tucked away somewhat.  This past weekend, my fiance and I were making a large purchase at a vendor who was cash only.  And since the faire was also small and had no ATM, it meant a drive back into the nearest town before faire opened the second day.  An ATM in the faire would have been very handy right then.
Seryn
Gndecent Gnomie
Master Baiter on the HSI
Seryn of Chaos

jcbanner

I think having ATM's on site are a big must. The faire site I'm at doesn't have phone lines, so the only vendors that take credit cards are those that are willing to take the slips home and enter them by hand. I only know of a few will do that. So if you want to make a purchase, its got to be in cash.  I've never been fond of walking around with too much cash on hand, so if I'm going to buy something more then a few small items and food, the ATM is my best bet.

The faire really seems to be dependent on the ATM; Last year, it ran out of cash and for the rest of the day patrons were asking me non-stop is there was a 2nd ATM nearby.

From an H/A perspective, I don't like them, but from a business perspective, they absolutely should be available.

Lady Neysa

Although I think ATMs at faire are a must,  I try to take enough cash with me to faire, the only time I carry a lot of cash with me.  Whenever I've tried to pull cash at MDRF, the ATMs are either out of money or there's 50 people waiting in line.

Athena

ATMs are necessary, and the ones at the faires I attend are not obtrusive. I also try to carry enough cash to get me through the day because I don't like being charged a king's ransom for withdrawing money from a machine not affiliated with my bank.
A book is like a garden carried in the pocket. ~ Chinese Proverb

Dev

There's one at PRF, and it's not very obtrusive.  Ye Olde ATM is near the entrance in a little shanty thing.  I didn't even know it existed the first year I was there, and when I was made aware of an ATM I had no idea where it was.

Moldy Forest

I think they're a good idea to hae at faire as some of the places don't take credit cards. Honestly I just don't care if they fit in or not, as it is something alot of people need during the day. They didn't have portapottys(sp?) back in the day either haha...
Chik-fil-a is the best restaurant ever. The End.

Dev

Quote from: Moldy Forest on February 25, 2009, 11:24:29 PM
I think they're a good idea to hae at faire as some of the places don't take credit cards. Honestly I just don't care if they fit in or not, as it is something alot of people need during the day. They didn't have portapottys(sp?) back in the day either haha...
Don't even get me started on portapotties...

Welsh Wench

After all, the De Medicis were the banking family of Florence during the Renaissance.
And I suppose if Michelangelo needed a new chisel, an ATM would come in handy.
Especially if he was on a cash-only with We Be Marble.

So ATMs at faire...why not? Because sometimes it is the last weekend, the celtic jewelry vendor doesn't take credit cards and you just HAVE to have that necklace....
Show me your tan lines..and I'll show you mine!

I just want to be Layla.....

maelstrom0370

Quote from: Welsh Wench on February 26, 2009, 05:45:52 AM

After all, the De Medicis were the banking family of Florence during the Renaissance.
And I suppose if Michelangelo needed a new chisel, an ATM would come in handy.
Especially if he was on a cash-only with We Be Marble.

So ATMs at faire...why not? Because sometimes it is the last weekend, the celtic jewelry vendor doesn't take credit cards and you just HAVE to have that necklace....

"We Be Marble"?
You make me giggle  :P