News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

ATMs at faire?

Started by Lady Penelope, February 25, 2009, 02:07:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

groomporter

Due to the current banking industry problems interest rates on credit cards are being raised even if you have no balance and pay on time. Therefore in the the next year or two as a crafter I'm expecting to see fewer credit card purchases, so it may be vital to the health of the Renfair economy for people to be able to get quick cash for making spontaneous purchases.
When you die can you donate your body to pseudo-science?

Woodland Artisan

ATMs are just one of those services that any business of good size is going to need to provide these days.  It's a convenience for most and a necessity for many (patron or merchant alike).  While we, as merchants ourselves, take debit and credit cards (phone line isn't necessary but appreciated when available; cellular access when it's not), I know of several merchants that take ATMs on-site into account when deciding to set up at a faire.

Unfortunately, ATMs being onsite isn't realiable.  Far too often too hard to find; too busy; non-working for some reason.  That's why we don't bet our business on it and just take care of it ourselves.  Besides, the vast majority of our customers pay by card anyway.  Probably because of our product/price mix.  They tend to save their cash-on-hand for the pubs and tips, I suppose.

Lady Nicolette

I know that I've seen people at Faire do fun things whilst using the ATM's, such as making various obiesences, loudly proclaiming it's magick, etc. upon receiving money from them.  When I first started Faire, no one had ATM's or credit cards, it was all cash.  I think it's a convenience just like credit cards, better to have the choice than none at all.  And, as groomporter mentioned, as more people are becoming allergic to using their credit cards, it's a great thing for those of us who have things to sell when people decide they absolutely must get just a little more cash.
"Into every rain a little life must fall." ~ Tom Rapp~Pearls Before Swine

Jack Daw at Work

The ATMs at TRF are adequately disguised and are handy.  Works for me!
Steve "Jack Daw" McIntyre

"The honour the Sleat Carpenter obtained...is still preserved for his descendants."

Adriana Rose

There is no problem with the ATM's they are there people run out of cash and they can get it.. I dont mind at all..

it makes things easier for the patrons and a happy patron is a patron who wants to spend money ;D

Lims

I work at the MiRF and the two ATMs ( one near the entrance, and the other in between the joust and the guiness pub, are tastefully hidden.  They are a godsend to quite a few people that are not aware how much money to bring with them and/or how much they are going to love the artisans' work.

I think it's a great thing.  Anyone who'd think they're not period should really look around.  People on cell phones, fanny packs, cigarettes,...  hell...  even glasses.  lol

tampapix

Quote from: Lims on March 01, 2009, 03:44:59 AM
I work at the MiRF and the two ATMs ( one near the entrance, and the other in between the joust and the guiness pub, are tastefully hidden.  They are a godsend to quite a few people that are not aware how much money to bring with them and/or how much they are going to love the artisans' work.

I think it's a great thing.  Anyone who'd think they're not period should really look around.  People on cell phones, fanny packs, cigarettes,...  hell...  even glasses.  lol

Amen.  First BARF I went to I was woefully underfinanced.  Had to head home without a trebuchet.  This is the ATM at BARF 2009.  It's near the entrance/exit.

bellevivre

The ATMs at TRF are MTA's too...

heee... monetary transference alchemy!!!

(I always see the sign backwards... I'm a dork, i know)

I DO really think they're necessary... for example, a newbie who might want to make their first big investment but didn't know they needed that kind of money...

or, heaven forbid! you've run out of walking around money!!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Belle the Kat

Clan Procrastination's Ambassador to the Seelie & UnSeelie Courts

Scotsman

Quote from: Lady Neysa on February 25, 2009, 09:10:15 PM
Although I think ATMs at faire are a must,  I try to take enough cash with me to faire, the only time I carry a lot of cash with me.  Whenever I've tried to pull cash at MDRF, the ATMs are either out of money or there's 50 people waiting in line.

I second that ... the line for the ATM is longer than the line for the privy! That is the main reason I bring plenty of coin for the pub!  ;D
Kilted Rogue #1411
Irish Penny BDE - Flattn'
Castleteer
Teer for life
RFC #56
Was that my inside voice?

Marietta Graziella

MN has an ATM right next to Bad Manor.  It looks ugly but it's easy to find...  Just follow the line.   ::)  I always carry plenty of lira on my person or leave a stash in my vehicle.  I'm not standing around in that line!  I also don't want to run out of mead money.   ;D
Nothing clever to say here.  Not enough caffine yet.

groomporter

Quote from: Marietta Graziella on June 24, 2009, 06:36:09 AM
MN has an ATM right next to Bad Manor.  It looks ugly but it's easy to find...  Just follow the line.   ::)  I always carry plenty of lira on my person or leave a stash in my vehicle.  I'm not standing around in that line!  I also don't want to run out of mead money.   ;D

There's also one in the depths of the north end of site next to the crafts museum/Folkstone Hall
When you die can you donate your body to pseudo-science?

Bonny Pearl

The ATM's are great, it's the jacked up usage fees that aren't!  Makes me think I'm in Vegas! 
Gypsy Wanderer
Kingdom of Onondaga
Order of the Hatchet
Landshark No.88

Serenity

Those fees are exactly why I always bring more money than I think I will need for the day and charge at whatever vendors I possibly can!
DoRT
OBL
MDRF FoF Charter Member
IWG #3798

RumbaRue

The ATM's at the events I go to are near the entrance of the event. Handy if no cash on you, bad on fees for using the dang machine.
Being Blond means I have the right to walk into any wall.

Queen Bonnie

I rarely use them- but how wonderous and magical it is to have a machine give you money! LOL!
Wingardium Leviosa!
Tis not the length of the staff- but the magick there in!