News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

ATMs at faire?

Started by Lady Penelope, February 25, 2009, 02:07:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhiannon

I'm all for having ATMs at the faire. DH and I rarely carry cash and we can never be certain if the vendors don't take Lady Visa in payment. Plus, a lot of mundanes and first time Rennies don't know what to expect in terms of prices or may have a limited amount of cash on hand.

And like Lims said, not everything is period at the faire. So ATMs are no problem for me.

renfairephotog

There's one at the Kentucky festival. It is covered and along side a fence. It's a good ideal to have then on site.
Twenty seasons of covering renaissance  festivals. Photos/calendar/blog.
Fairy photographer

Khaalis

I pretty much have to agree with everyone that they are necessary evil. I'd love a faire that didn't have port-a-potties and such, but lets face facts, they're a necessity. Same goes for the ATM in today's world. The more money people spend at Faire, the healthier our faires remain. However, as most have mentioned, there are very few faires that don't understand the concept of making them unobtrusive. At our faire, the ATM is located outside the gate in the general "Tourist" area near the Gift Shop, ticket booths, etc. Now if they put an ATM on the corner of Merchant's Bend chained to a Tree... then I'd have a problem.  ;D
Rogue, Merc and certified RenRat

Jack Daw at Work

That's the other thing I like about TRF - running water, soap, TP, and flushing toilets!!
Steve "Jack Daw" McIntyre

"The honour the Sleat Carpenter obtained...is still preserved for his descendants."

Lord Finger

The last I knew, and maybe Khaalis can correct me if I'm wrong, but the ATM at Sterling was always located inside the information both, which is outside the gates. If you wanted to use it, you had to hand your card over to the info person and tell them your PIN.

Dinobabe

Quote from: Sterling Scot on July 18, 2009, 12:08:05 PM
If you wanted to use it, you had to hand your card over to the info person and tell them your PIN.

Uh, I don't think so! :o
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
The Wizard's Chamber/Sir Don Palmist
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

Khaalis

Quote from: Sterling Scot on July 18, 2009, 12:08:05 PM
The last I knew, and maybe Khaalis can correct me if I'm wrong, but the ATM at Sterling was always located inside the information both, which is outside the gates. If you wanted to use it, you had to hand your card over to the info person and tell them your PIN.
I always bring my cash and plastic, so I've never personally needed to use it. I'll check this weekend and see what I can find out. What you describe is the way it used to be. I am not sure if they have updated to an actual ATM machine or not.
Rogue, Merc and certified RenRat

Lord Finger

I just remembered, there's a real self-serve ATM in the Rememberance Shoppe outside the gates. Very modern!