News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

"The Tudors"

Started by Dinobabe, March 10, 2009, 11:44:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tammy

Oh...I don't know...he's hot...but I sorta like my head attached.  ;)
Royal Protector of Raccoons, Mistress of the Poi, Best Friend of Windland/Nim, Guppy, Seamstress for The Feisty Lady.

Dinobabe

Quote from: Tammy on March 16, 2009, 09:19:47 PM
Oh...I don't know...he's hot...but I sorta like my head attached.  ;)

LMAO ;D
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
The Wizard's Chamber/Sir Don Palmist
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

Friar Rohn the Chronicler

Oh, I've had a couple of slams because our family loves the Tudors (the sex scenes have been edited out for the kids), it revived our love of the RenFaires but we never garbed until recently. Mainly because we love the costumes on the show. At first I didn't care for the actor playing Henry VIII mainly because he was a "prettyboy" with a whining voice and not a 6ft. 5 inch giant that the king
really was. In those days, that height was a giant. I was amazed the first time I went through some English museums as a boy and almost all the real suits of armor were the size for 12-13 yr. old boys. Their diets back then were poor by our standards today and the usual Heath was 4'8 to 5 ft. tall. The actor playing the king, I thought got better in the second season. I have both seans on my iPod too.

No, the television series or movies are historically correct....but neither was Gunsmoke or the Pirates of the Carribean. Everytime some kind of TV show or movie is made, the "experts" always get overridden by the writers. We love the sets and the costumes. I have the first season on Blu-Ray and need to check later if the second season is out yet. The series seems to focus, of course, on what Henry VIII was remembered for....six wives. I had assumed that each season will deal with one of the wives like they have been doing. I have read somewhere that this upcoming season, will deal with two of the them and possible three while Henry will age rapidly. The last season will deal with his last marriage, death, and succession (with a new actor portraying the more historical overweight king dealing with health issues).

It's a possibility that Showtime may go with the possibility of another historical series. Possibly a "before" showing the Wars of the Roses, Richard III's overthrowing the throne and eventual defeat by the Tudors....or a "after" showing the manipulations of Henry VIII's daughters.

Friar Rohn

irish

Should I of said....having the ladies' heads at his feet?   ::)
Doesn't matter,  the man is HOT!  :o
irish~ren ~
Cruise Director ~
Clan O'Doinn (Sterling) ~
Irish Penny Brigade (New York)

Lady Gwyndolyn

Johnathon Rhys-Meyers is a little cutie isn't he... but.. I personally like the guy that portrays Charles Brandon better... yummmm...

I can't think of many movies/tv shows out there that are completely "historically" accurate.  I have both Elizabeth movies with Cate Blanchet, The Virgin Queen by Masterpiece Theater, Elizabeth I that HBO put out, both seasons of the Tudors, and "Monarchy" with David Starkey as seen on Public Television by Acorn Media.  I want to get the 6 Wives of Henry VIII, and Elizabeth R.  

But all in all, I really like watching the Tudors, it is very entertaining.
Lady Gwyndolyn
Duchess of Kearsley

Friar Rohn the Chronicler

For those whom want to judge the historical accuracy, here's a decent link to Wikipedia's page on the show and it's "Departures from History"........

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tudors

Friar Rohn

Jezzy MacPeaks

Quote from: Friar Rohn the Chronicler on March 17, 2009, 01:52:15 PM

It's a possibility that Showtime may go with the possibility of another historical series. Possibly a "before" showing the Wars of the Roses, Richard III's overthrowing the throne and eventual defeat by the Tudors....or a "after" showing the manipulations of Henry VIII's daughters.

Friar Rohn

I would LOVE to see them do that!  I'd have to add them to my library.
Pyrate Queen
Costumer, Extraordinaire
Hook'n of Clan M'Crack
Have Blunderbuss, Will Plunder

BLAKDUKE

Tell me anyone is it just my dis-like for VIII or what.  I read the description of the "The Tudors" on wikipedia and somewhere in there it indicated that the program was about Henry VIII and "HIS DYNASTY" or "THE DYNASTY HE CREATED" or something along those lines.  Now I will concede that film makers take liberties with written history and such but come on Henry VIII  DID NOT start the Tudor dynasty.  Henry VII did.  He was the first ruling Tudor.   
Ancient swordsman/royalty
Have Crown/Sword Will Travel

LadyElizabeth

You are most certainly right that his father Henry VII did start the Tudor dynasty, but his son made it flourish and made it famous...  Henry VII spent his years on his throne just trying to keep the throne and make it more stable.  Unless Henry VIII were as flamboyant in his marriages and then his good choice in listing his daughters as heir to his throne, England would not be the place it is today!!!  It was not at all precedented to have a woman on the throne, so that alone made history!!! 
Queen Elizabeth the 1st
Champagne the Bubbly
Bubbles the Fairy
Frost the Arctic Barbarian
Red the pirate

VIII

Quote from: BLAKDUKE on March 18, 2009, 01:12:29 PMTell me anyone is it just my dis-like for VIII or what.
I hope you don't mean me!  ???
I mean, have we even met?!?  :P
Former King Henry VIII
Renaissance Magazine Issue #66 Cover Boy

DonaCatalina

Quote from: BLAKDUKE on March 18, 2009, 01:12:29 PM
Tell me anyone is it just my dis-like for VIII or what.  I read the description of the "The Tudors" on wikipedia and somewhere in there it indicated that the program was about Henry VIII and "HIS DYNASTY" or "THE DYNASTY HE CREATED" or something along those lines.  Now I will concede that film makers take liberties with written history and such but come on Henry VIII  DID NOT start the Tudor dynasty.  Henry VII did.  He was the first ruling Tudor.   

I think its just the TV show. It turned me off so I turned it off.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

BLAKDUKE

Quote from: VIII on March 18, 2009, 01:52:53 PM
Quote from: BLAKDUKE on March 18, 2009, 01:12:29 PMTell me anyone is it just my dis-like for VIII or what.

Please,  I was speaking of the historical character.   Folks in here are never refered to in the fashion that I spoke in.  If you took it personally please do not, as it was not intended so.

BLAKDUKE

Quote from: VIII on March 18, 2009, 01:52:53 PM
Quote from: BLAKDUKE on March 18, 2009, 01:12:29 PMTell me anyone is it just my dis-like for VIII or what

I am sorry for my response I just now noticed that you go by VIII and that my post only refered to Henry as VIII.  I did not make the connection until just now.   No, we have never met so I would be in no way disdainfull of someone extant that I have never met.  I apologize for the confusion.

Lady Gwyndolyn

Historically, Henry VIII was a womanizing player that was more fickle than any female I have ever met.  He had bipolar or something. 

I do enjoy the show for entertainment reasons.  All of the sex scenes do get a bit boring.  Thank goodness there aren't that many of them in the second season.  It seemed like in the first 5 minutes of the first season everyone was having sex!  I also love some of the gowns worn in the second season.  Like the one that Ann is wearing when she is holding court and Thomas Wyatt comes in and introduces her to the violin player. I really like that gown.

Dark Wolf has fallen in love with some of the doublets that Henry VIII wears also.  So for garb purposes, it does give a lot of great ideas!
Lady Gwyndolyn
Duchess of Kearsley

Jezzy MacPeaks

I know, I got tired of all the "sex", too.  Why was it necessary?  They didn't think the actors or the storyline would be enough to hold anyone's interest?  I felt it was cheap of them to do that so much, yet, I LOVED the show!  If I could get an "edited" version, I would enjoy it even more, I think.  They really should have given themselves more credit than that.  I'm not a prude, but I felt it was overly done.
Glad to hear that II isn't plagued with so much of it.

I love Henry's doublets, too!  Very nicely done! Of course, the gowns are beautiful.  I've been looking at the "livery collars".  The large chain necklace type pieces the men are wearing.  I would love to start making some of those!  I'm thinking on it a lot, actually.
Pyrate Queen
Costumer, Extraordinaire
Hook'n of Clan M'Crack
Have Blunderbuss, Will Plunder