News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

New Ren Faire documentary about AGOURA coming out late 2009

Started by juliesad, March 25, 2009, 12:34:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

juliesad

www.FaireDocumentary.com
AND
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Faire-An-American-Renaissance-Documentary/69969995398?sid=b95dcb56de3e46aa9b024c85b3314b3c&ref=s

In 1963 on a small field on Haskels Rascals Ranch,Los Angeles
a local school project blossomed into an event now known
as the "Renaissance Pleasure Faire". This event sparked an explosion of
the hand crafted movement, guerilla theater, and living
history re-enactments. Within its first two decades,
the Renaissance Faire concept had spread all over the world.

Recently, is has struggled to redefine itself in changing times.
It now competes with the internet, video games, and other alternative
subcultures such as Raves and Burning Man.

This documentary explores the amazing true story
of a community that sparked a phonomenon.//

RumbaRue

I don't know where you got your info, but it's totally wrong.

The original Renaissance Pleasure Faire opened to the public for the first time in 1972 at the old Paramount Ranch in Agoura, California where the TV show "Mash" was filmed. It was run by Phyllis Patterson and family.

There are only a handful of pictures if even that of some of the people I knew back in Agoura who no longer work the faire due to all the ridiculous politics that we had to go through.
And I can tell you for a fact, no one wore pirate gear at the time.
I started working the faire in 1981, so that ought to tell you how long I've been doing events.
Being Blond means I have the right to walk into any wall.

ALS

Well according the book " The Faire, Photographs and History of the Renaissance Pleasure Faire from 1963 Onwards " from The Good Book Press with text by Richard J. Sneed and preface by Peter Thomas aka Peter Papermaker and dedicated to " All the staff, participants, volunteers and patrons, The Living History Center Board of Directors, Ron Patterson and Phyliss Patterson-Stibetr who through the years have helped to bring the Elizabethan age to life in California " the first post is exactly right. From page 10 " The pace quickened to an almost frantic picth as the weekend of May 11 and 12 drew near. Oliver Haskell donated his Ranch for Girls and Boys in North Hollywood for the original " Plesure Faire and May Market " ". The Oliver Haskell's ranch mentioned is the " Haskell's Rascals" mentioned above and was the site of the first even put on by the Patterson's. The faire was held in a variety of locations over the next few years before settling into the site of the Paramount Ranch.

The book was printed in 1987. I have a copy in front of me but heres the Amazon listing
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=the+faire+photographs+and+history+of+the+renaissance+pleasure+faire+from+1963+onwards&x=14&y=21

LadyDracolich

I have to agree with ALS on this one.  I can't say I've done much research on the history of Ren Faires in the US, but everything I have ever read said it started in 63 in California and became the Renaissance Pleasure Faire.
I don't know what you've heard, none of it is factual, but it's all true.

dpgood

I can vouch for the '63 date.  I started attending in Agoura off Kanan Road in about '66 with my parents and their friends, who had a tapestry shop at the Faire. I attended every year until I was in high school in the 70's.  The L. A. Times bought the Faire - I think it might have been in '76? - and I lost track of it after about 1980.

LA's Pacifica radio station KPFK worked with the Pattersons to bring the fair to life. Here's a lovely pastiche of images and music broadcast by KPFK at the first Faire.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmAs_DjQNP0