News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Why are so many pirates named "Jack"?

Started by Obadiah Jib, April 03, 2009, 01:38:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Obadiah Jib

Beside the fact that the name Jack is cool and implies a rather roguish nature why do you suppose so many pirates have taken the name?  You just don't see a lot of pirates named "Tom"... ???
First Mate of the Portobello Rose.
I'm not the captain, I just dress better than he does.

Cobaltblu

Captain Jack Sparrow from Pirates of the Caribbean
Calico Jack Rackham the real pirate
The song Captain Jack by Billy Joel
etc

Since POTC there has probably been a huge increase in pirates named Jack.

Regards,

CB
Click on my website icon on the left to view my photo album of garb and items.

Captain Jack Wolfe

During the GAoP and some years after, the common expression for a sailor was "Jack Tar", the equivalent of today's "Joe Blow".  Since the nickname Jack has a certain rakish, rough-and-tumble connotation, it's not surprising that name gets attributed to or taken by the piratically inclined.

And since my name actually is Jack, I didn't have to look far for inspiration.  ;D

But there were a fair number of pirates named Tom.  Anstis, Tew, Howard, and White were all written about in Captain Johnson's "A General History of the Pirates".
"I'm not sure about people anymore. They're responsible for some pretty nutty stuff. Individuals I'm crazy about, though." ~ Opus

Blackjack Roberts

Me own reasons were a nod to a couple of me personal favorite pirates. The afore mentioned Calico Jack, and Black Bart Roberts.

(With a slight nudge from a minor character in the 70's Marvel comic "Shang Chi-Master of Kung Fu" named Blackjack Tar.)

Hence: Blackjack Roberts. :)

Obadiah Jib

Seems to be some mythology that follows the name... Jack the Giant Slayer, Jack of Shadows, etc...

Interesting stuff savvy?

Blackjack Roberts

Aye, mate.

Especially 'round and about England. Spring heeled Jack, Jumpin' Jack Flash. The list seems near inexhaustible.

skrid the brown

Aye!  The wife and I be partaking in the swilling of rum...

Madge Estes

As stated, "Jack" was a name used for the common man in the period... Like John Doe.  If you go back and look at Shakespeare's writing, you will see many instances of "Jack".
Live so your dreams recognize you.

Captain Jack Wolfe

"I'm not sure about people anymore. They're responsible for some pretty nutty stuff. Individuals I'm crazy about, though." ~ Opus

NoBill Lurker

Quote from: Madge Estes on April 09, 2009, 08:43:52 AM
As stated, "Jack" was a name used for the common man in the period... Like John Doe.  If you go back and look at Shakespeare's writing, you will see many instances of "Jack".

Could this have been start of the use of the phrase " You don't know JacK" ?
So what are you doing this weekend?
I'm going to BARF!!!
You're going to...wait...WHAT???

Captain Jack Wolfe

Actually, the use of "Jack" as a catch-all came from the French "Jaques", which was a slang term for "peasant" centuries ago.

The phrase "you don't know jack [squat, shyte, etc]" didn't become popular until around 1970.

Anna Iram

"Jack" originated from the Middle English jakke (1350–1400). Jakke was used in addressing any male, especially one considered a social inferior, and was extended to anything male, including designation a variety of inanimate objects. Variants included Jakken and Jankin with the addition of the diminutive suffix "-kin" (similar to the German "-chen") to the name "Jan," (John) which was itself a contracted version of the name "Jehan." One of names formed, "Jankin," then became "Jackin", and eventually "Jack". The process of back-formation has possibly led many to believe that the name is related to the French "Jacques," owing to phonological similarities, but this seems to be coincidence. Although it is possible and may appear at first glance to be derived from the French Jacques—which is cognate with the names James and Jacob—native speakers of English have historically associated the name "Jack" with John and only very rarely with "Jacob" (in which case the usual shortened form Jake is preferred). This would make it a variant of names like "Hans" or "Seán".

From Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_(name)

Obadiah Jib

Jacks as a suit of cards.  At one time the suit was called "Knaves".

Blackjack Roberts

Quote from: Obadiah Jib on April 10, 2009, 01:14:47 AM
Jacks as a suit of cards.  At one time the suit was called "Knaves".

I knew there was another reason I liked the name. :D

Capt Robertsgrave Thighbiter

Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack.....

Can't we get this Jack off?

If the rum's gone, so is the fun
*images and URLs not allowed in signatures* -Admin
Party like it's 1724

Anna Iram

Well...there's always Jackin...the diminutive form of Jack. But then who wants to confess to being diminutive!!?  ;D

tiberiusflynn

Honestly, though I love the movies, I wish Jack Sparrow wasn't named, Jack.

As someone that IS called Jack in his everyday life, drinks rum, and rides in a motorcycle group titled, "Pirates of Texas".....AND plays a pirate at Ren Faire....I get called Capt. Jack and "Jack Sparrow" by many.....

Capt Lucy

On the same type of note...why do all the people who make new pirate persona suddenly Captains???  ::)  lol.  That's been a beef of mine for as long as I can remember!  Yes I know I am one, but I have been one since before POTC and the great Pirate Explosion.  Not a huge deal, I just find it funny.  There are a lot of cool positions on a pirate ship!
Dame Lucy, Captain of the Crimson Phoenix
IWG #2772 L77 Madame Emeritus
Booty'n Penny
Ette, R/F, IFORP, Merc, FOKTOP, Rengeek blah blah blah...

Captain Jack Wolfe

The answer is very simple in my case.  I hate taking orders.  As Milton wrote; "It is better to reign in Hell than to serve in Heaven."  ;D

tiberiusflynn

Quote from: Mad Jack Wolfe on April 22, 2009, 03:55:47 PM
The answer is very simple in my case.  I hate taking orders.  As Milton wrote; "It is better to reign in Hell than to serve in Heaven."  ;D

Ah, great quote...used in Jack London's "The Sea Wolf" also....

Capt Lucy

Quote from: Mad Jack Wolfe on April 22, 2009, 03:55:47 PM

Hahaha... yeah, don't we all.   :D
Dame Lucy, Captain of the Crimson Phoenix
IWG #2772 L77 Madame Emeritus
Booty'n Penny
Ette, R/F, IFORP, Merc, FOKTOP, Rengeek blah blah blah...

Obadiah Jib

I'm a first mate/ Quarter Master.

I picked the role.  Most people just assume I'm the Captain because I'm such a sharp dresser.  The Captain hates that!

Welsh Wench

Quote from: Obadiah Jib on April 23, 2009, 11:05:05 PM
I'm a first mate/ Quarter Master.

I picked the role.  Most people just assume I'm the Captain because I'm such a sharp dresser.  The Captain hates that!

It's all in the jaunty tilt of your hat, and feathers, feathers, and FEATHERS!

'They come running just as fast as they can....really go crazy 'bout a sharp-dressed man!'

Or first mate/quartermaster.
Show me your tan lines..and I'll show you mine!

I just want to be Layla.....

Lord Figaro

I though it was just easier to spell, and looked better on the crew roster than X? Go figure.
Those who do not remember their past are condemned to repeat their mistakes.

George Santayana

Captain Jack Wolfe

I thought "X" was the universal alternate spelling of "Jack".  Especially when one has a hook arm.  ;D

Lord Figaro

HUH, that makes more sense than Xavier, when ya think about it that way.
Those who do not remember their past are condemned to repeat their mistakes.

George Santayana