News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Why are so many pirates named "Jack"?

Started by Obadiah Jib, April 03, 2009, 01:38:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anna Iram

Well...there's always Jackin...the diminutive form of Jack. But then who wants to confess to being diminutive!!?  ;D

tiberiusflynn

Honestly, though I love the movies, I wish Jack Sparrow wasn't named, Jack.

As someone that IS called Jack in his everyday life, drinks rum, and rides in a motorcycle group titled, "Pirates of Texas".....AND plays a pirate at Ren Faire....I get called Capt. Jack and "Jack Sparrow" by many.....

Capt Lucy

On the same type of note...why do all the people who make new pirate persona suddenly Captains???  ::)  lol.  That's been a beef of mine for as long as I can remember!  Yes I know I am one, but I have been one since before POTC and the great Pirate Explosion.  Not a huge deal, I just find it funny.  There are a lot of cool positions on a pirate ship!
Dame Lucy, Captain of the Crimson Phoenix
IWG #2772 L77 Madame Emeritus
Booty'n Penny
Ette, R/F, IFORP, Merc, FOKTOP, Rengeek blah blah blah...

Captain Jack Wolfe

The answer is very simple in my case.  I hate taking orders.  As Milton wrote; "It is better to reign in Hell than to serve in Heaven."  ;D
"I'm not sure about people anymore. They're responsible for some pretty nutty stuff. Individuals I'm crazy about, though." ~ Opus

tiberiusflynn

Quote from: Mad Jack Wolfe on April 22, 2009, 03:55:47 PM
The answer is very simple in my case.  I hate taking orders.  As Milton wrote; "It is better to reign in Hell than to serve in Heaven."  ;D

Ah, great quote...used in Jack London's "The Sea Wolf" also....

Capt Lucy

Quote from: Mad Jack Wolfe on April 22, 2009, 03:55:47 PM

Hahaha... yeah, don't we all.   :D
Dame Lucy, Captain of the Crimson Phoenix
IWG #2772 L77 Madame Emeritus
Booty'n Penny
Ette, R/F, IFORP, Merc, FOKTOP, Rengeek blah blah blah...

Obadiah Jib

I'm a first mate/ Quarter Master.

I picked the role.  Most people just assume I'm the Captain because I'm such a sharp dresser.  The Captain hates that!
First Mate of the Portobello Rose.
I'm not the captain, I just dress better than he does.

Welsh Wench

Quote from: Obadiah Jib on April 23, 2009, 11:05:05 PM
I'm a first mate/ Quarter Master.

I picked the role.  Most people just assume I'm the Captain because I'm such a sharp dresser.  The Captain hates that!

It's all in the jaunty tilt of your hat, and feathers, feathers, and FEATHERS!

'They come running just as fast as they can....really go crazy 'bout a sharp-dressed man!'

Or first mate/quartermaster.
Show me your tan lines..and I'll show you mine!

I just want to be Layla.....

Lord Figaro

I though it was just easier to spell, and looked better on the crew roster than X? Go figure.
Those who do not remember their past are condemned to repeat their mistakes.

George Santayana

Captain Jack Wolfe

I thought "X" was the universal alternate spelling of "Jack".  Especially when one has a hook arm.  ;D
"I'm not sure about people anymore. They're responsible for some pretty nutty stuff. Individuals I'm crazy about, though." ~ Opus

Lord Figaro

HUH, that makes more sense than Xavier, when ya think about it that way.
Those who do not remember their past are condemned to repeat their mistakes.

George Santayana