News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Memorial Day Weekend

Started by tiberiusflynn, May 12, 2009, 08:29:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tiberiusflynn

So, I've never been to Scarby. I've only gone to TRF and a few smaller ones. My first weekend will be the last, Memorial day weekend.

I'm guessing that's a wildly busy weekend??

Merlin

First off...you are in for a treat if this is your first trip to Scarby.

As for Memorial Day weekend..... it's twice the treat !

You wont be disappointed and I would bet that you return next year more than once.

Scarby is so big with so many shows...it's impossible to take it all in one outing.

Get there early and stay until they make you leave.

Get your tickets at Tom Thumb to save 3 dollars per ticket.

When you see me...say "HUZZAH!"

DW
Anál nathrach- Breath of serpent
Orth' bháis 's bethad- Spell of death and of life
Do chél dénmha- Thy omen of making

tiberiusflynn

LOL, thanks for the advice!

I usually do the same at TRF, not leave until the cops make me, heh heh.

This year I plan to go to many more Faires....Hillsboro Faire is my next target.....

Gauwyn of Bracknell

we went to Scarby for the first time a couple weeks back and you will not be dissappointed!  It was a bit wet on Saturday and the mud is quite interesting, but Sunday was a perfect day.  Be sure to catch Wine and Alchemy.
Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

SirRichardBear

On Memorial day monday every vet in the faire is welcome to march in the parade in grab or not.  So if you are a vet or if anyone with you is a vet and you want to march/walk in the parade please come by the cottage and get a yellow ribbon and join the parade.
Beware of him that is slow to anger: He is angry for something, and will not be pleased for nothing.
Benjamin Franklin

DonaCatalina

Memorial Day weekend is one a lot of out-of-towners try to attend. The volume of Rennies
is usually a bit higher.
The overall patron attendance is usually higher too as long as its not raining cats and dogs.

Get a map so you don't miss anything.

The pre-cannon meet & greet in on row 12, far left row near the souvenir cart.
Wine & Alchemy at 10:30am
Michael O'Quinn at the King's Pub at 11:00am.
The after parade meet & greet is across from the coin stamper booth.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Ronald the Bald

Scarby isn't TRF. That isn't good or bad, just different. So, come with an open mind and just enjoy for what it is.

What you will see is lots more interaction between cast and patrons. If you wear a kilt you can march with the Scots. If you wear other garb you can stroll with the Royal Guard. As mentioned above if you are a vet you can march/stroll with the other vets on Memorial Day.

Or you can just come and watch. Lots of stuff to watch.

Var Greyshadow

Also, be prepared for the heat.  It can be brutal on Memorial Day weekend.  Drink plenty of water and take it easy.  Several of the shows have covered or shady stages, the Cat and Fiddle Pub is indoors (don't think it's air conditioned like the Prine of Wales though), and there's a sit-down eatery (there's also a covered seating area near the pasta place - a recommendation for lunch, by the way).
"All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost..." ~J.R.R. Tolkien "The Fellowship of the Ring"

tiberiusflynn

Quote from: Var Greyshadow on May 13, 2009, 07:06:14 AM
Also, be prepared for the heat.  It can be brutal on Memorial Day weekend.  Drink plenty of water and take it easy.  Several of the shows have covered or shady stages, the Cat and Fiddle Pub is indoors (don't think it's air conditioned like the Prine of Wales though), and there's a sit-down eatery (there's also a covered seating area near the pasta place - a recommendation for lunch, by the way).

Thanks very much for that advice!!!!  I was expecting some hot weather....but dear god not THIS hot. I think this summer's going to be worse then usual. Luckily my outfit is mostly made out of linen....lol.

I'll definitely stop by the pasta place!!

*Teach*

Heat that weekend is definitely a serious issue.
The Lovely Lady Trinn is very sensitive to heat and so we are very careful about garb choices for those three days.
We actually joined FoF this year for the first time mainly to take advantage of the water and shade... she will be drinking tons of water each day.

*I even have to cut back on the rum those days... alcohol will dehydrate ya pretty severly and you'll never see it coming*
*Got more Rum?* "Here, Try This!"
http://forums.wearephoenixrisen.com

lys1022

Most of all, though, HAVE FUN! :)

And let us know what you do and see afterwards, and what you think about our little home.  Half the time we never get to hear about people's visits!

If you get a chance to see the Human Chess Match, I highly recommend it.  Pub Sing is always enjoyable.  If you like to dance, come to the Dance Class in the afternoon in Pecan Grove, and then join in at Evening Court Dance right after that. 

Hope to see you there, and definitely hope that you enjoy!

Lys
Lys
I am not an employee of Scarborough Faire and to not represent them in any way.

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

The Earl and I will be with Ottheinrich and his lovely wife for a weekend of festing at Scarby. Even though we will wear our Noble garb, we often do take it easy, drink plenty of water, have portable shade with parasols, avoid a lot of alcohol. With my right leg giving me fits, I won't be doing marathons any time soon.
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

squiregaby

The Jousts are most excellent the final weekend! Be sure to catch all three!! They're at 11am, 2pm and 6pm....and you can also go to the Meet the Knights at 3pm at the Rose and Crown Inn, which is sanwiched inbetween the Hogshead Pub and the Fried Bread place....and across from the Kings Nuts place in Crown Meadow

granted I may be a little biased when I say this but.....the Royal Jousts are not something to miss if it's your first time!
Squire Gaby
Squire to the Knights of the most Noble Cause

tiberiusflynn

I'll see what I can do. One day and so much to see, lol. It'll be great finally going to a Ren faire other then  TRF. Not that I dislike TRF, I just don't get to go to many others.....others that are fantastic that is.

I went to one in Las Vegas and it was incredibly....small and nothing but a few tents and vendors...I was sorely disappointed as I thought, "Ren Faire in Vegas?? That should rock!!!!" But....it didn't.

Merlin

I've never been to TRF but i plan on making it this Fall for the first time but i can GUARANTEE that you won't be disappointed with Scarby.

Get there as early as possible.... 10am ... and keep moving. There's so much to see and do. Drink 1 water for every cocktail to keep hydrated.
It's very shaded in most parts but can get pretty warm.

Stop by Cat and Fiddle for a cool beverage.

DW
Anál nathrach- Breath of serpent
Orth' bháis 's bethad- Spell of death and of life
Do chél dénmha- Thy omen of making