News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Coming from Scarby

Started by Ronald the Bald, May 12, 2009, 11:15:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ronald the Bald

My wife and I will be in Colorado in June and are planning on visiting your faire. We are actively involved playtrons down here. In fact I work harder at faire than I do on my job.

We have never been to this faire before, so what do you recommend?
What should we look for?
Where are the good places to eat?
Anything else we need to know?

Demetrius

The first thing you want to do is come in the front gate. From there on you can't miss a thing. Say hi to Zoe and Mattrim.

Go up the hill and to the left to see Mistress Charlotte- THEN- go towards the middle to Italian Kitchen for the first of many visits for the absolute best food and service anywhere. Yes- the teri-chicken is addictive.

Do not miss the jousts- just beware of strange people with hamsters.

Scarby is awesome- glad to see you here!
Truth teller of exceptional proportion...
Proud to be a part of the Colorado Renaissance Festival...

Capt Gabriela Fullpepper

OH avoid the Italian Kitchen there is this strange "Little" man who loves hamsters there. I think his name is Demetruis... but then again we all love him as he is the jester of the food court.

To be honest and to try and answer your question as it gets asked alot.

Expect temps from the mid 50's to the very low 100's but usually in the mid to high 90's. Colorado can and will on rare occasions get snow in  June and July and that includes Larkspurshire but it is rare. Rain happens and can last 30 minutes to all day. When it rains all day it gets very cold and the site gets very muddy.

Larkspurshire sites on the edge of a mountain and is up hill all the way except when you get to the top then it's down hill for a short time then back up... kind of like a rollercoaster.

Wear comfy shoes as this faire is NOT paved and the gravel on hills can make a person slide and fall causing very painful scrapes.

Drink lots of liquid preferably not to much beer as the altitude and heat CAN and will get to you. So stay hydrated.

Get to the parking lot around 9 to get close parking. Getting there early also helps avoid traffic on I-25 that starts to get heavy at 10 on.

There are a few privacy restrooms in case you have someone in heavy garb such as farthingales to use.

Sunscreen is a MUST as the sun will burn you here.

Food prices are in the $3.00 to $5.00 range and most drinks $1.25 if I remember right but that may have changed.

So in a nut shell... Where good shoes, prepare for temps in the 50's to high 90's and drink lots of liquid.

OH and weapons are allowed if peace bound, just no firearms per the site.

As for food. I love the Baron of beef or as the girls say as we ask for no peppers or onions Naked Cows or I say Naked Barons. The Chicken Demetrius talked about does look yummy and may get sampled this year. The fresh roasted corn can be hit or miss as normal corn can be. Many rave on the Turkey Legs but personally I'm not a fan and see many half eatin in the trash. Fresh squeezed lemonade is available in the main food court which tastes OH so good on a hot Colorado day... not to mention it helps to keep you hydrated. Iced tea is also good as is NONE fresh squeezed lemonade. The French Fries are also yummy and go good with the baron.

Let us all know when you will be coming and look all of us up. Toki and I are playtrons and harder to find. Well just look for the noble dressed and you may find us.
"The Metal Maiden"
To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody e

Gauwyn of Bracknell

We are coming in July, what do you all do as far as garb - does it not get a bit stuffy?  We were in Arizona in Feb and the temps were around 70, quite comfortable.  I don't really have Summer/Winter garb.  But the 90's ??  :P
Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Capt Gabriela Fullpepper

LOL funny you ask this.

I wear a Katherine Parr dress that has faux fur on the sleeves plus my chemice, corset, farthingale, underskirt and over skirt. While I do sweat, it actually helps. Like the Arabs, layers and then also drinking LOTS of liquid... once again not beer or wine or if you do, small amounts. There is shade, there is a spray mist inside and out. The one inside is by shade.

If you feel over heated, you sit and drink liquid or drink pickle juice... yes it helps.

So while my garb is quite elaberate and some would think hot, I manage just fine. OH and garb done in cotten is best as it breaths.

And yes the 90's but then again if your lucky it may rain a few minutes or an hour or cloud over. Afternoon showers in the Colorado Rockies can be common. While Larkspur is not in the high country, it does have some altitude.

If your a female, fans and parasols are great.

So the main key to how we coup... Lots and Lots and Lots of liquids

I guess we are just used to it and learning to dress and deal.

OH and Colorado is a dry heat and not overly humid to many. Being a Native it is far more humid than when I was in school. But over all the humiudy is not bad which helps.
"The Metal Maiden"
To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody e

Gauwyn of Bracknell

We live in Iowa, so any decrease in humidity is great - you have not lived until you're in 95 degrees and 98% humidity.  And you think the pigs smell :)
Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Zoë

Reminds me of when I lived in Massachusetts.  Ugh!  Thank god for dry heat!
Capitaine Zoë D'Arcachon
Elizabeth Covington
Fritzie the Fairy

Duckie84

I went and worked Colorado two years ago. I don't pretend to know it anywhere near as well as those who live there. But the ran was nothing like its been at scarby. The bakery is better than the one at scarby. I highly suggest watching the washing women (they make me giggle). And if you want food after faire is closed there is an amazing sushi place in Castle Rock (just north of larkspur) I beleive it was called Mt. Fugi. EVERYTHING is uphill but the exit. WEAR COMPFY SHOES.
What does the color blue taste like?

Demetrius

Quote from: Lady de Laney on May 12, 2009, 01:05:48 PM
'OH don't miss the Italian Kitchen there is this wonderful man who loves hamsters there. I think his name is Demetruis... we all love him as he is the jester of the food court.'

So in a nut shell... Wear good shoes, prepare for temps in the 50's to high 90's and drink lots of liquid [like beer]

"In a nut shell" yes- this is where you will find many playtrons.

Lady de Laney is correct, the chicken at Italian is the finest in all the land and the service there makes one feel like royalty- particularly for those who are royalty.

And for those who come from the great land of Iowa... well, you will surely enjoy the chicken more than is humanly possible. You will desire greatly a meat-a-ball sandwhich, which is large and wonderful. Demetrius? Ah, I have heard of him...

Our faire also has a plethora of talent when it comes to the crafters, so don't forget to check out the arts as well as the entertainment.

Capt Gabriela Fullpepper

Quote from: Demetrius on May 13, 2009, 10:20:04 AM
Quote from: Lady de Laney on May 12, 2009, 01:05:48 PM
'OH don't miss the Italian Kitchen there is this wonderful man who loves hamsters there. I think his name is Demetruis... we all love him as he is the jester of the food court.'

So in a nut shell... Wear good shoes, prepare for temps in the 50's to high 90's and drink lots of liquid [like beer]

"In a nut shell" yes- this is where you will find many playtrons.

Lady de Laney is correct, the chicken at Italian is the finest in all the land and the service there makes one feel like royalty- particularly for those who are royalty.

And for those who come from the great land of Iowa... well, you will surely enjoy the chicken more than is humanly possible. You will desire greatly a meat-a-ball sandwhich, which is large and wonderful. Demetrius? Ah, I have heard of him...

Our faire also has a plethora of talent when it comes to the crafters, so don't forget to check out the arts as well as the entertainment.

AH i see Demetrius is up to his old tricks of putting hamsters in peoples mouths YUK the fur.

The reason the chicken is so good is in reality, Demetrius is using hamster killed from the joust

Dang there we go again adding Hamsters to the conversation. I swear Demetriuos has thing about making us all talk about hamsters.
"The Metal Maiden"

Ronald the Bald

Thanks for the good info.

We plan to be there June 13-14.

Sounds like I need to add shaving cream and razors to my suitcase to take care of the hamster problem. Just hate getting hair in my food.

Capt Gabriela Fullpepper

AH Opening weekend. Toki and I will both be there most likey on Saturday. Zoe and Demetrius aka Hamster man work there.

Hope to see you there. Stop and say hi, Coloradoans don't bite... to hard that is :)
"The Metal Maiden"

Francisco Paula

I know Francisco Paula the Portuguese Pirate will be there as well.

Just remember Wendy's get a coupon for buy one get one free, helps so much.

Demetrius

Quote from: Lady de Laney on May 13, 2009, 01:44:55 PM
AH Opening weekend. Toki and I will both be there most likely on Saturday. Zoe and Demetrius aka Hamster man work there.

I can assure you the chicken is, in fact, chicken- for I am a member of PETHA- people for the ethical treatment of hamsters always! I believe "hamster man" is a title more appropriate for Hey Aren't You... also see Zoe, owner of more than forty hamsters at last count.

Sir Garath- just to clarify- the buy one get one has nothing to do with hamsters...

Ronald the Bald- you are in luck, we do sell hats. Just so you know- the grill would singe off any hair, though as you can see is not necessary. Hmmm... now we are discussing hair...

Looking forward to meeting you in hamster, er, person.

Don't forget everyone- June 14Th is Flag Day!

Zoë

Zoë may not be there on opening weekend.  She may be ousted by her alter-ego: the sweeter, less French, less lost, Elizabeth Covington. 

But Zoë will be there at some point, getting lost all over again...in the meantime she will be hanging out with some hamsters to keep her company in the trunk of the car.  Er, ship.
Capitaine Zoë D'Arcachon
Elizabeth Covington
Fritzie the Fairy