News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

What Sewing Machine Do You Use?

Started by Element of Air, May 14, 2009, 10:12:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Element of Air

I was wondering what Sewing machines everyone is using on their projects.

I recently submitted a noble garb tunic (to the finished projects gallery) that I finished using simplicity pattern 4942 on a Viking 6570 that I believe was purchased by my mother in 1977-1980. I received so many compliments on the quality of work that I was beginning to think it might just be the amazing machine.

The machine was given to me by my mother when she purchased an embroidery machine. I had been using the Viking 6570 from age 3 sewing myself pillows and blankets then graduating to shirts and dresses for myself when I was about 10 years old. I have never had an issue with the Viking. It is an amazing machine.

I would like to know what everyone else is using for their projects too!  :D
Royal Duchess of Air, Music and Beauty in the court of Queen Bonnie.
FOKTOP
Royal Order of Landsharks, Guppy No. 25

lady serena

I use an old Brother machine that was given to me by my mother-in-law. I dont know what  the model # is but it does say that it is rated for school use and the thing is a tank, made out of metal. I think it does an awesome job as well. I also have a singer that is in closet waiting for parts unfortunately I dont know the model # on that one either.
Guppy # 81
Fins up

LadyShadow

I was given my Mom's sewing machine a couple of years ago, cuse she never used it.  I primarily use it when I sew and it is a Simplicity Denim Star sewing machine.  But the one I learned to sew on about 4 - 5 yrs ago, and still use sometimes, is an old Singer from the early 1900's.  Sometimes the older one works better than the newer one, the only down side is that it only has one stitch instead of my newer model with several stitch types.
May the stars always shine upon you and yours.

Royal Order of Landsharks Guppy # 98 :)

Manwariel

I used a cheap Brother machine until I got a Kenmore 19606 in February.

DragonWing

I started out sewing at a young age like you on my mother's Singer, late 50's model, she got when she was in high school. I had that machine up until 6 years ago.

Then three years ago I had bought a White Heavy Duty.  It wouldn't sew leather.

Then just recently a friend gave me a Singer 2430, early 80's model, gently used and I love it.
Dragon rider and mage,
(aka Vince)

Kate XXXXXX

It just depends...

My main machines are the Husqvarna Lily 550 I bought ten years ago, bought for the numerous buttonholes and the brilliant job it does on eyelets, and my Bernina 1150MDA serger.

For free-arm serging, and for times when I need two different lots of thread or different processes going on at the same time, I dig out the Brother 1034D serger.  Both sergers bought new a couple of years ago to replace worn our or less versatile machines.

For different sizes of eyelets I now have the eyelet kit for the Bernina 1105, so that comes out for those, and again, if I need two different threads, etc.

For travel I have a choice of three Elna Lotus machines, a Frister & Rossman Cub 4, and a Singer Featherweight...  After that it gets complicated.  There are 17 working machines in the house!

Sabrina Black

Quote from: LadyShadow on May 14, 2009, 11:03:52 AM
I was given my Mom's sewing machine a couple of years ago, cuse she never used it.  I primarily use it when I sew and it is a Simplicity Denim Star sewing machine.  But the one I learned to sew on about 4 - 5 yrs ago, and still use sometimes, is an old Singer from the early 1900's.  Sometimes the older one works better than the newer one, the only down side is that it only has one stitch instead of my newer model with several stitch types.

That's kinda funny, I also got my mom's machine cause she never used it.  It's a Brother machine, don't know the model number offhand.  She also gave me a mini-serger.  I want to get a full-size serger at some point, but the mini works for now. :)
Wench-in-training

RenRobin

I am by no means a seamstress, so I totally understand if you laugh, but I have a battery operated, straight stitch sewing machine, similar to the one in the link below.  It holds a full spool of thread and has regular sized bobbins, but it is a very simple machine.

http://fortunel.manufacturer.globalsources.com/si/6008800604467/pdtl/Sewing-machine/1004457996/Sewing-Machine.htm
Loki-terr (in training)

Taffy Saltwater

A Brother SE 270D, which also embroiders & has a bunch of Disney & other designs built in.  I haven't used it for embroidery (yet) but works just fine for everything I've thrown at it, as long as I give it a new needle regularly.
Sveethot!

LadyShadow

Quote from: Taffy Saltwater on May 14, 2009, 01:12:52 PM
A Brother SE 270D, which also embroiders & has a bunch of Disney & other designs built in.  I haven't used it for embroidery (yet) but works just fine for everything I've thrown at it, as long as I give it a new needle regularly.

I was looking at buying that one a couple of years ago, just for the built in Disney designs.  But by the time I had the money and remembered what I meant to buy with the money the store I went to didnt carry it anymore  :(  Oh well.  I'll find another one eventually.

LadyShadow

Quote from: Sabrina Black on May 14, 2009, 12:31:16 PM

That's kinda funny, I also got my mom's machine cause she never used it.  It's a Brother machine, don't know the model number offhand.  She also gave me a mini-serger.  I want to get a full-size serger at some point, but the mini works for now. :)

Funny how that works.  My Dad got mad cuse he bought it for my Mom and Sis.  Because they wanted to whatever.  It sat in the office on a new sewing table as well for a year.  My Dad saw what I was doing and struggling sometimes on the old Singer my Mother-n-law gave me, and said I could just have my Mom's machine all it was doing was collecting dust.

DonaCatalina

I am currently using a Baby Lock designer's choice.
178 built in stitches. Up to 9 at a time can be programmed into a combination stitch.
But the big deal is the self-threading!
Whoop!

I have a Baby Lock Denim Pro for the extremely heavy fabrics.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Sabrina Black

Quote from: LadyShadow on May 14, 2009, 01:22:55 PM
Quote from: Sabrina Black on May 14, 2009, 12:31:16 PM

Funny how that works.  My Dad got mad cuse he bought it for my Mom and Sis.  Because they wanted to whatever.  It sat in the office on a new sewing table as well for a year.  My Dad saw what I was doing and struggling sometimes on the old Singer my Mother-n-law gave me, and said I could just have my Mom's machine all it was doing was collecting dust.

Don't ya just love it, you get a free perfectly running sewing machine just because Mom doesn't sew lol.  My dad bought my mom's for her birthday or Christmas or something.  Finally I just told her I wanted it.  Every once in a while, she'll be like "I need to use my sewing machine".  I just tell her to give me what she needs fixed and I'll do it cause I'll never get the machine back, since she won't get around to what she needs it for lol.
Wench-in-training

Elennare

I learned on a Singer machine.  Never knew the model number, but it was a birthday gift when I was...10?  Something like that.  It mostly collected dust until college when I started sewing again.  It was an awesome machine that I loved...until it died.  Could have had it repaired, but the cost to do that was more than the machine was worth.

So, it was replaced with some model Brother machine that I got at Target.  Has straight stich and several other simple stiches.  It served me well, until it stopped working at 4:30am on the day I was getting on a plane to go to my wedding...with my corset less than half assembled.  I think I may have just bent the needle, but I was far too sleepy at 4:30 in the morning to figure that out.  That the needle might have been bent didn't occur to me until I was on an airplane halfway across the country hand-sewing the corset. :)  I haven't investigated further, yet, so I don't know if it's going to remain my sewing machine or if I'll be getting a new one soon.  If I need a new one, I think this thread may be useful.  ;D
My (infrequently updated) costume blog: http://manufactorumbrandis.wordpress.com/

LadyShadow

Quote from: Sabrina Black on May 14, 2009, 01:28:43 PM

Don't ya just love it, you get a free perfectly running sewing machine just because Mom doesn't sew lol.  My dad bought my mom's for her birthday or Christmas or something.  Finally I just told her I wanted it.  Every once in a while, she'll be like "I need to use my sewing machine".  I just tell her to give me what she needs fixed and I'll do it cause I'll never get the machine back, since she won't get around to what she needs it for lol.

I do enjoy it.  My Mom keeps saying she is going to take it abck so that she can makes some quilts.  But she has yet to buy fabric or anything or even take the machine back and its been about 2 yrs of her saying this.   ;D