News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

What Sewing Machine Do You Use?

Started by Element of Air, May 14, 2009, 10:12:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sabrina Black

Quote from: LadyShadow on May 14, 2009, 03:35:46 PM
Quote from: Sabrina Black on May 14, 2009, 01:28:43 PM

Don't ya just love it, you get a free perfectly running sewing machine just because Mom doesn't sew lol.  My dad bought my mom's for her birthday or Christmas or something.  Finally I just told her I wanted it.  Every once in a while, she'll be like "I need to use my sewing machine".  I just tell her to give me what she needs fixed and I'll do it cause I'll never get the machine back, since she won't get around to what she needs it for lol.

I do enjoy it.  My Mom keeps saying she is going to take it abck so that she can makes some quilts.  But she has yet to buy fabric or anything or even take the machine back and its been about 2 yrs of her saying this.   ;D

Lol, yeah I know what you mean :D  when mine gave me the serger though, I knew she probably wouldn't take either one back at that point lol
Wench-in-training

gem

QuoteI had been using the Viking 6570 from age 3 sewing myself pillows and blankets then graduating to shirts and dresses for myself when I was about 10 years old.

I'm willing to bet that this is the reason for all the compliments, not so much the machine. ;)

I just got a new Viking at Christmas.  I went with this brand b/c several professional garbers I respect a lot, as well as two of my most trusted long distance sewing buddies, all use Vikings.  I love the new machine, but so far I'm not any better a seamstress than I was six months ago. :)

Kate XXXXXX

I found that after I got the Lily, I sewed so much more because it's such a pleasure to use, that my skills increased!  Works both ways.   ;)

Aunty Lou

I use an old Kenmore that had (HAD, *sigh*) cams one dropped in the lid that made different stitches.  I have sewn on it since 1974, and have sewn everything from lingerie to upholstery.  Leather with triangular needles, (Sporrans!) silk, velvet, fur (Fake!), and every costume for every Godson, bride, castmember, and realtive.  It does buttonholes and eyelets, mending triplet zigzag, etc...  I learned from a job in a fabric shop (And wasn't that like giving a drunk a job as a bartender!) how to maintain it, and there's a shop locally that does repairs for the things I can't fix.  I am very loyal to my old workhorse!

Lady Toadflinger

I use a 35 year old Kenmore which was given to me as a high school graduation gift.  I love it so much that I recently bought a very similar old machine at the thrift store for $15.00, and it is just as tough! ( I do envy the seamsters who have machines that will do eyelets, though, as neither of mine will do those! :()
keeper of the royal menagerie

CapnFayeCutler

I usually use my mom's Kenmore she got in the 80's - (Photo of an identical one) but it's needing to be serviced at the moment. First time in almost 30 years, too. Wowza.

So while that's out of commission I'm stuck using the Singer I bought in college - it's not my favorite but it works pretty well. Just hope something doesn't break on it x_X;;;

I'm tempted to drag out my 1960 Kenmore that I found at a church sale for $1.00 - it works GREAT, too! All it does is a straight stitch, but that's about all I need it to do sometimes! ;)

And I can't wait to get started with my new baby, a Kenmore serger!

I'm working on getting my late mamaw's Kenmore sewing machine from the 70's... What can I say, they're good machines.

Slack'n Penny -  Chieftess, Clan Byrne of the IPB
IFRP# 1264 IWG #3575
RoOL 26 | Castleteer | ETTE

Jon Foster

This is an interesting thread. We have several machines. Right now my wife is using a Janome L392 that was her grandmothers. It's a very basic machine but seems to work pretty good. We also have a Kenmore that we bought before we were married but it doesn't work right any longer. On top of those we also have my mothers old Singer along with both my grandmothers Singers. I'm not sure where they are right now but as far as I can remember they all work perfectly. I think the last time I used one of my grandmothers Singers (a big old black machine) I was making a cover for my Snap-On toolboxes. Her machine was the only thing I could find that would sew through multiple layers of heavy commercial vinyl. I also remember using that same machine as a kid to sew leather projects.

Many years ago my mom owned a small company that made sewn specialty products. At one  point she priced out a Viking machines but the cost would have been way too much considering how small her profits were. I remember wanting one of them really bad too. When they gave us the demos on the units they were stitching material you should have needed a drill to get through!

I still want a good heavy duty Viking but I would still like to get a large format embroidery machine too. $$$

Jon.

Tim T

I've got a Bernina Matic 910 Electronic on indefinite loan from a friend.  It seems to be able to do just about anything I need it to do.  It is also proved to be super reliable.  Now, granted, I haven't exactly been burning it up, but it quite simply seems to do just what it's supposed to every time.

Tim
aka Dark'n M'Crack of Clan M'Crack/Clan White

GirlChris

I have an Elna 3005. It's got about 20 different stitches- sorry, I just checked. There's only 19. It does fairly decent button holes, it has a drop in bobbin, and I haven't had lick of trouble from it yet, no matter what I've been sewing. I made a pair of jeans (I didn't make them WELL, but I made them) and it had no problem going through about four layers of denim. The only trouble I've ever had is that it sometimes winds the bobbins too loosely, which then leads to wonky bobbin tension and a whole mess of threads on the underside of my sewing. Other than that, it's a dream to use.

Oh, and her name is Betty.

Athena

I use a Brother LX3125 I got at Wal Mart last year. It's a very affordable machine and perfect for beginners and those with basic skills.
A book is like a garden carried in the pocket. ~ Chinese Proverb

Lady L

I am still using the Bernina I got, 27 years ago. Runs great, only needs a tune up now and then. I use it a LOT, too. ;D
Former Shop Owner at MNRF

Tixi

Viking 950E Sewing/Embroidery machine (can't figure out how to embroider on it though...) 

and a Babylock Imagine serger - no tensions to adjust = love (for a beginning sergist)

I have a Janome Decor Pro 5124 as a backup (my old main) in case the Viking has issues (as precision instruments tend to)

Alisoun

I use a Singer 2732 and I was recently given an in-table Singer 457 that is waiting for some serious love and care.  The older machine seems sturdy and powerful, but I haven't had time to diagnose any issues that it may have.
"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does." --William James

DonaCatalina

Quote from: Alisoun on May 15, 2009, 09:31:17 AM
I use a Singer 2732 and I was recently given an in-table Singer 457 that is waiting for some serious love and care.  The older machine seems sturdy and powerful, but I haven't had time to diagnose any issues that it may have.

Those older Singers can be quite the work horses. I used a baby blue 1959 Singer until we just couldn't find replacement parts anymore.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

I sew on a Janome Memory Craft 4900. It does so many neat things such as Decorative stitching that I use on Shirts, Chemises, etc.

Two Sergers. My newest one does a wonderful toght roled hem serge perfect for when working with Organzas, Chiffons, and edging for ruffs in a different color.
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde