News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

What Sewing Machine Do You Use?

Started by Element of Air, May 14, 2009, 10:12:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Rebecca

At school, I use some sort of Juki industrial machine. It just does straight stitches, but it sews through thick things fairly easily. I think the sergers they have are the Juki pearl line ones, but I really don't know anything about sergers.

At home, I use my mom's Pfaff. I don't know what model it is, but it's at least from the early 90s, I think. The only thing I like about it are the different embroidery stitches it does. It has a ton. But other than that, the tension always seems to go all wonky, it can't get through very thick things, it breaks all the time... Basically, it's super annoying to sew with.

My mom said she's getting me a sewing machine for graduation in Dec. So far, the Brothers Project Runway LB6770 PRW looks good. Does anyone know anything about it? Also, how much do Vikings cost? It seems like all ofyou who have those really like them.

Kate XXXXXX

Quite a bit more than a Brother with the same sort of stitch range, but once you try them you can feel where the extra quality goes.

Pascal

I've gone through a number of machines -- I spent a lot of time sewing on several Vikings (and I liked 'em all); particularly liked my 6460, 990SLE, and 1200 (AKA the #1).  A while back, I picked up a Bernina 930 and it's pretty much been my full-time machine ever since.  I keep meaning to load up the Vikings again, but keep thinking "well, maybe after this next project".  It's looking unlikely that the 930 will get swapped out anytime soon.

Current project(s): making a pavillion-style round tent and making a few dozen half-circle cloaks.

I have a couple of older sergers -- an Elna L4 and a Pfaff Hobbylock 796 (I know it's just a branded Pfaff) that I use most of the time when I need serging done. 

You can see the machines at http://www.using-sewing-machines.com.

Kate XXXXXX

I am so SO baaaad...  I fell of the sewing machine diet in a proper orgy!  A friend on Live Journal was having to skip a number of old sewing machines that were taking up space at work, not really usable for their purposes, and in the way...  She felt this was criminal, but the Powers That Be said Old Sewing Machines----->Skip!

She tossed them in the back of her car.  She brought them down to me on Friday night in exchange for dinner and a photo-call with the Victorian undies I'm working on (laundry marks say 1886 and the like!).

13 sewing machines...  She took one for a friend.  I was left with:

1 1950's Jones type 15 clone: rotten belt, broken motor fixing, salvaged the bobbin case.
1 almost new Brother XL 50 12: needs feet and bobbin case and a manual
1 Toyota RS 2000 series KB13: needs bits box, feet and bobbin case, a spool pin and a manual.  Not expensive, so I might just get those.
2 plastic Jones machines: too many bits missing.  Salvaged the shuttle hooks.
1 Frister & Rossman Cub 4: needed type 15 bobbin case, so gave it the one out of the Jones!
1 Viking Husqvarna thing: SHOULD have been good, but needle clamp, bits box and accessories, presser foot ankle and extension table missing...  Also seized solid.  Salvaged the single bobbin it had and the shuttle hook and retaining ring as they'll fit Big Sis' 190...
2 Bernina 807's, one with missing extension table
3 Bernina 707's
1 extra Bernina 707 extension table...
1 Bernina 707 manual

The Berninas are all working beautifully.  I cleaned up and serviced the Bernina 807 with matching extension table, scrubbed up the better of the red plastic cases for it, and sent it home with another friend for her 18 YO daughter to learn to sew on, after downloading the manual.  I needed that to work out access to the feed dogs for cleaning and oiling.

I shall keep the Cub 4 for the kids to sew on, as I already have one complete with manual and feet.

The Viking Husqvarna, the Jones 15 clone and the two plastic Jones machines went to the tip yesterday.  It hurt to let the Viking go, but after hunting about the net, there was nothing showing as available for it except bits I had and bobbins, and putting it back in order would be way too time consuming and expensive.

So the herd is currently rather bloated and in need of culling!  I have a modern Brother, a modern Toyota, and 4 elderly Berninas to re-home!  I'm sure I can easily re-home the more modern ones, but I'll need those with a longer view to take the lovely Berninas!

renren

Quote from: Lady Rebecca on May 23, 2009, 09:25:58 PM
At school, I use some sort of Juki industrial machine. It just does straight stitches, but it sews through thick things fairly easily. I think the sergers they have are the Juki pearl line ones, but I really don't know anything about sergers.

At home, I use my mom's Pfaff. I don't know what model it is, but it's at least from the early 90s, I think. The only thing I like about it are the different embroidery stitches it does. It has a ton. But other than that, the tension always seems to go all wonky, it can't get through very thick things, it breaks all the time... Basically, it's super annoying to sew with.

My mom said she's getting me a sewing machine for graduation in Dec. So far, the Brothers Project Runway LB6770 PRW looks good. Does anyone know anything about it? Also, how much do Vikings cost? It seems like all ofyou who have those really like them.

I just purchased a Viking Emerald, for about 400,the 118..
Haven't had a chance to use it much.. so I don't have alot of input there!
So far, I think that I will LOVE it!
Renren
Wench  #  3783
Treasure Guardian and giggling interrogator of the "Feisty Lady"

Guppy # 32 ROoL

Kate XXXXXX

ladyharrogate

I use a bernina 950 industrial.  I LOVE IT!  I can sew every kind of fabric I need to on it, from delicate silk chiffons to leathers.  I make horse costuming and also design for a bridal shop so I really the large table to hold my work.  The other plus is speed, when you sew for a living time is money.  I've gotten so used to it that when I use my table top machine I feel like a turtle!

CapnFayeCutler

Finally learned how to use my Kenmore serger (thanks Lucy!) yesterday...

Today I learned how to thread the freaking beast with my eyes closed...Broke a serger threader, realized I had to thread the thing right to left (hey never had to do it before), and had to undo part of the other ones just to do the right one (that's the one that kept coming undone).... That was user error on my part but once I figured out what I was doing wrong while I was testing, it's been a breeze! Oh. My. Gosh. I'm sewing like a fiend, and things are going soooooooo quickly. Love love love! Now I wanna find lots o' accessories for it so I can do other things. *grin*
Slack'n Penny -  Chieftess, Clan Byrne of the IPB
IFRP# 1264 IWG #3575
RoOL 26 | Castleteer | ETTE

Sorcha

This is my big, metal machine.

I got her from my grandmother who stopped sewing shortly there after.  So she still has the manual and ALL of the accessories. ;D
I've been able to find very little information on the "Mark II - Dial N' Sew".  But I do know she's fully capable of sewing your fingers together if you're not careful.  Manual buttonholer and 2, count them 2 fancy stitches!! 
And she's pretty!
I also have a Brother 1034D serger, because of Kate's recommendation.  Which I love too...  But he's not as pretty.

Auryn

wow
so many machines hehe
I got my mom's Brother, its from the late 90s, just a simple machine works ok but sometimes gives me real headaches- the stictching on the  underside will get all messed up sometimes and it takes me forever to get it all cleaned up and then I have to start over.

Quick question
I found a White Multi-Tasker 2200 for $35
is that a good deal??
Scissors cuts Paper. Paper covers Rock. Rock crushes Lizard. Lizard? poisons Spock. Spock smashes Scissors. Scissors dec

Kate XXXXXX

Quote from: Sorcha on May 27, 2009, 09:39:34 AM
This is my big, metal machine.

I got her from my grandmother who stopped sewing shortly there after.  So she still has the manual and ALL of the accessories. ;D
I've been able to find very little information on the "Mark II - Dial N' Sew".  But I do know she's fully capable of sewing your fingers together if you're not careful.  Manual buttonholer and 2, count them 2 fancy stitches!! 
And she's pretty!
I also have a Brother 1034D serger, because of Kate's recommendation.  Which I love too...  But he's not as pretty.

I think they were made by Saishin (?) somewhere in the Far East and badged for the USA market.  From the look and colour, somewhere in the mid 60's to early 70's.  Keep it well cleaned and oiled, use a new needle for each new garment (and more often as needed), and it'll keep on sewing for a good few years yet!

And no, the 1034D isn't so pretty, but he sure does sew nicely!  ;)  Glad to hear that it's working for you.

carroll loyd

hi sorcha i have sewing machine just like yours the mark 2 you said you have the manul for it. is there any way i could get you too send me a copy of.it to me it would be vary helpful to me   thank you vary much
i am a club member

Cilean

Husquvara Designer SE, I am still thinking about upgrading but I love my machine to pieces!
I also have a Kenmore Computerized machine that I hold for back up it is the best machine, but typically unless I am embroidering on the SE and then I will use the Kenmore.

Cilean

Lady Cilean Stirling
"Looking Good is not an Option, It is a Necessity"
My Motto? Never Pay Retail