News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Shoulder Roll Help

Started by Joyce "Delfinia DuSwallow" Howard, May 18, 2008, 03:35:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joyce "Delfinia DuSwallow" Howard

I think I want to add shoulder  rolls to my bodice.My questions are;
Use a shoulder roll pattern out of one of my other patterns?
Do I attach it to my sleeves or my bodice?
I don't think I want it to be permanent, how to make it attach easily so it's temporary.
I'm I crazy for even trying this?
My outfit is plain black velvet and I think it's time to change it. I find it amazing all the things everyone does to their clothes.
Open for any suggestions. ;D
MDRF Dandy  "Delfinia DuSwallow"
Sun'n Penny - Clan O'Morda
LandShark #71
Maker of Buttery Nipples

Baroness Doune

QuoteOriginally posted by Lady Joyceanne
Use a shoulder roll pattern out of one of my other patterns?
If you like the look of the shoulder roll, why not?  Some shoulder roll patterns are easier to use than others.  For example, one that is a single pattern piece that looks like a fish mouth is harder to use and get looking right than one that is two pieces that are horseshoe shaped.
Do I attach it to my sleeves or my bodice?
The shoulder roll should be attached to the bodice shoulder straps at the outside edge of the shoulder straps.
QuoteI don't think I want it to be permanent, how to make it attach easily so it's temporary.
In most cases, it needs to be stuffed and completely finished before attaching, so it lends itself very well to a temporary attachment.  Just hand stitch the shoulder roll into position using a strong thread (nylon upholstery thread.)  When you are tired of the shoulder roll, just cut the thread and remove.  You may have to do some steaming of the velvet to remove the stitch holes and raise the nap.
QuoteI'm I crazy for even trying this?
Absolutely not! Garb evolves over time.  This is another example of how it can be relatively easily changed in appearance.

FaireMare

Joyce "Delfinia DuSwallow" Howard

Baroness Doune, thank you very much for your input, i'm gonna give it a try. ;D
MDRF Dandy  "Delfinia DuSwallow"
Sun'n Penny - Clan O'Morda
LandShark #71
Maker of Buttery Nipples