News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

CRF turning into a Renaissance themed shopping mall?

Started by NeverSilent, June 06, 2009, 08:52:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NeverSilent

Those of us who went to dress rehearsal today received quite a shock.  Nearly a third of the cast was fired Thursday evening, being given the reason that the Entertainment budget was cut, so they got fired.  They were told they could come out on 'guest passes' and perform their characters for free, but understandably, after that insult, rumor has it that many are declining that offer.  Those people have already invested time and money, in rehearsals and in costumes, getting ready for this festival.  And they were fired the day before the dress rehearsal weekend.

Interestingly, the Merrye Madrigal Maidens are bragging to any that will listen that they're now getting new costumes provided to them by the Festival.  Costumes from Noblesse Oblige, the most expensive clothing shop at the faire.  They're basking in that they're to go in for fittings this week for their CUSTOM costumes.

It doesn't take much to put two and two together and realize where the budget went.  Obviously, beautiful scenery of a few beautiful women in lovely costumes is more important than having characters filling the lanes, bringing life to the streets.  Without the cast, it's just a flea market with a Renaissance theme.  While they are probably the most talented vocal group out there, are they really worth it at the expense of the street cast that brings the festival to life?

So, if you don't see a lot of familiar faces out there this year, that's probably why.  It certainly has me seriously reconsidering if I want to be here.

squiregaby

The Noble Cause Knights? Are they still performing at the faire?
Squire Gaby
Squire to the Knights of the most Noble Cause

Capt Gabriela Fullpepper

OK So the guy with the Turkey legs for hands won't be there?

I heard and it's just something I heard through one of the Madrigals they they were no longer together. But once again that is just rumor, and rumor being what it is NOT FACT until one of them post on the forum. i.e Three sides to every story. Yours, Mine, the truth.

Can you list names and what role they played of people let go?

As for the faire being a shopping mall, hasn't it always been that way.

Maybe IF people were let go there were OTHER reasons behind the let go. Rumors being mixed with facts can really alter a story.

As for costumes MAYBE this faire should start requiring people to furnish their own like many other faires do. While Nobless Oblige makes some beautiful stuff, it's by far not the best but it is the most expensive at faire. I often admire their garb but I can get garb made to my exact specs by a wonderful woman of the forum for the same price and it is made to last for many years and fits MY body. But that is just my oppinion. I tried MANY times to have them make custom made garb but it never worked out.

SO Until everyone let go who has been a member of the forum for a long time posts. I hold this to nb rumor. And even if it is true, So be it. The economy effects everyone.

I'l go, I will have fun and I will people watch everyone. And maybe I'll spend my money at the Faire shopping Mall.
"The Metal Maiden"
To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody e

Mischief Snicklebritches

SquireGaby: Noble Cause is of course still there..:D so no worries.

Sadly, there is no rumor...its fact...There is no IF.  :'( people have been fired due to budget cuts. As to why...well only the PTB will truly know. We can all only speculate. While blaming the Mads for all of this would be of course the easiest route...I can hardly see how, though insanely expensive, 4 new dresses would cause this much budget damage. So lets try and be a bit more level headed. I have heard several other things that could very well have contributed to all of this. However, being as that Ive found myself in some  hot water lately, those specifics will not be disclosed by my lips. You all will hear them eventually I'm sure. Plus some other stuff that probably isn't true to go along with it.

But yes sadly,as everyone found out today, the front gate cast is been reduced to about 6 so I hear from the gate manager (with whom I live lol) Several people *veterans and newbies alike* were fired from court and street.
The MMM group from last season has broken up...but there are I believe 3 of the members that you will recognize and one new (and very pretty,or so Ive heard) face. I don't feel that it is my place to disclose their new name so you will just have to wait! :)

It is sad that this has all taken place...hopefully...*I've had my fingers crossed for the last 3 years or so* one of the PTB will realize that an open air flea market is not actually why people come to the festival. They come to be entertained by the cast and stage acts, see the beautiful costumes that you, Neversilent, are correct in saying; they have spent their hard earned money and time on. Eat turkey legs and forget that there is an economy crisis and that they lead real lives at all. And unfortunately, I don't personally feel that that level of magic can be obtained with only a minuscule cast (talented though they undoubtedly are), stage shows and booths peddling very beautiful, but oft-times expensive, wears. But until such time, we all must keep our noses out of things that, if truth be told, we know nothing about. Its not our business how the faire is run, our business is to make the most out of whatever situation is handed down to us from the people that run it, and of course choose for ourselves whether or not we will accept what they are choosing to do with their business. After all, you can only control yourself right?
I have seen that place with a cast three times as large as this one, and I'm pretty sure Ive seen it smaller...and it is always fun., even when its bad, its good. Because the people that are there, make it so.
But that is just my opinion and should not be taken offensively by anyone reading this post, it is in no way meant to offend or anything like that.

It all just makes me very very sad.  :'( :'( :'(

However, though I am not on cast this year by my own choosing, I will not cease to visit. I still have many friends that I already miss terribly and will wish to see and squeeze. Plus, thanks to Spinaka, he and I have two really b**chin costumes to come and show off...yeah! lol ;D

Remember kids! change is inevitable.
loves!
How do I know I haven't missed it?!...what if it WAS the chicken!

Blushing

Faires are always what each of us makes of it ... I will miss those who aren't at faire, regardless of reason, but that's the case every year.
~All human activity lies within the artist's scope~

squiregaby

Quote from: Lady Remi on June 07, 2009, 12:58:22 AM
SquireGaby: Noble Cause is of course still there..:D so no worries.
Oh good...because I'm not going to even think about driving 13 hours one way NOT to see them.
Squire Gaby

Mischief Snicklebritches

omg where are you coming from! and I hope you are staying the whole weekend?! maybe even two!  :o

Jonas_MacPherson

I can't say this is a complete surprise, especially considering the current financal conditions.

That being said, sometimes shakeups like this work for the best. At least I'm hoping it'll be so.

See everyone at fair. :) And keep thinking positive, we're not done by far.

Mischief Snicklebritches

Jonas_MacPherson

And something else...

People come to see people in garb, they come to see events, and yes, a bit of shopping. What roles the cast can't do, the playtrons can, at least at times <certain things we can not do, but there are others we can pitch in and assist with>

That's what struck me the first year I came, and why I decided to create a persona...not to be on cast per say, though I still think that could be fun when our ecomony gets stronger. I still think it's fun to create the persona...and to help out if called upon.

Anyways, it's all about fun, even if times are rough. And about hanging out with good friends <michael, remi, blushing....there's quite a list> even if just for two months.

So is it a giant shopping mall for the unusual? Ya <heck, I'm decorating my house with ren bits. :)> But it's so much more...and it has to be, especially in times when you need that escape to get away from reality for a few hours. And it'll always be that way.

squiregaby

Quote from: Lady Remi on June 07, 2009, 02:30:52 AM
omg where are you coming from! and I hope you are staying the whole weekend?! maybe even two!  :o
IF I come...I'll be coming from Scarby.  I'm hoping to get to head up there to see my stinky knights. (Bryan If you see this DON'T say anything to the rest of the boys :P)
The first time I'll only be able to stay a day because I'm passing through on a road trip with boy.  The second time IF we get to go we'll be there the whole weekend!
Squire Gaby

Jonas_MacPherson

They have a tendancy to make at least one visit to my shop when they arrive in Colorado. So, I'll be sure to tell them if I see them.

Wait....you wanted to keep that a secret? Darn. Oh well.

squiregaby

Quote from: Gentlemanprivateer on June 07, 2009, 02:18:55 PM
They have a tendancy to make at least one visit to my shop when they arrive in Colorado. So, I'll be sure to tell them if I see them.

Wait....you wanted to keep that a secret? Darn. Oh well.

No no no!! :P don't tell on me!! :P I want to suprise them if at all possible!  Although I'd be more than happy to allow you to relay messages to one of the squires....when he arrives anyway
Squire Gaby

Jonas_MacPherson

squiregaby

Yeap yeap he's usually the one that knows like everyone and disappears in the middle of the afternoon....him and Mitri both.
If you do see him tell him I said "Hi Dad!".....hehe.....and that I miss them.
Squire Gaby