News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Loki and other Liquers

Started by bellevivre, June 18, 2009, 11:20:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aiacha

Quote from: blue66669 on September 01, 2010, 03:50:42 PM
Hey Aiacha, we did an experiment with Lemoncello and loki right around May or so. It will need epic tweeking, as the flavors are a little off. Just FYI...

I may have to sample it to see what it comes out like...

Muffin

Quote from: Valiss on September 01, 2010, 01:21:00 PM
Has anyone run into the "medicine" problem with thiri loki flavor? I make a couple of bottles of raspberry loki a few years ago and when I tried it the other day they tasted kinda like medicine - almost NyQuil-ish. It's been a while since I made this batch, but I want to say that I only put in raspberry extracts. I wonder if I add a bit of vanilla extract now if it will mellow that out a bit.  Has anyone tried to do this? Or otherwise, has anyone had any luck 'fixing' loki long after it's been made?

We've run into the medicine flavor with our Cherry Loki... Bleh.. tastes a lot like Robitussen..  :-X So far I haven't found a way to fix it, we just stopped making that flavor..  ;)
A Captains Wench

It's always Beer:30 here....

*sigh* So many kilts, so little time......

Ette

Valiss

Quote from: Muffin on September 01, 2010, 04:24:58 PM
Has anyone run into the "medicine" problem with thiri loki flavor? I make a couple of bottles of raspberry loki a few years ago and when I tried it the other day they tasted kinda like medicine - almost NyQuil-ish. It's been a while since I made this batch, but I want to say that I only put in raspberry extracts. I wonder if I add a bit of vanilla extract now if it will mellow that out a bit. Has anyone tried to do this? Or otherwise, has anyone had any luck 'fixing' loki long after it's been made?

We've run into the medicine flavor with our Cherry Loki... Bleh.. tastes a lot like Robitussen.. :-X So far I haven't found a way to fix it, we just stopped making that flavor.. ;)

I actually just made some cherry, but I did half cherry and half vanilla extract. Even though it's brand new, it already tastes better than the raspberry and I think that is in large part to the vanilla in it. It really seems to round out the flavor.  Maybe I'll add a tblspn to a bottle and see if that helps it. I'd hate to throw away booze (and money) and it's already had 2+ years to sit.

Zardoz

Has anyone run into the "medicine" problem with thiri loki flavor? I make a couple of bottles of raspberry loki a few years ago and when I tried it the other day they tasted kinda like medicine - almost NyQuil-ish. It's been a while since I made this batch, but I want to say that I only put in raspberry extracts. I wonder if I add a bit of vanilla extract now if it will mellow that out a bit.  Has anyone tried to do this? Or otherwise, has anyone had any luck 'fixing' loki long after it's been made?

I ran into this with my first couple of tries at making a basic vanilla and almond loki recipe. Not everybody noticed it, but I thought it had a very mediciney or plasticy taste. The cooks and expert tasters of things around my place had two opinions, that (a) maybe there was too much of the extract in the mix, (well, I followed the recipe!) and/or (b) the extract was the 'fake' artificially flavored kind (possible, because I might have cheaped out at the store) no way to tell for sure because the bottles got tossed.
Your milage may vary, but I was able to take the edge off this taste by cutting the stuff with water, adding a little at a time.
I have since made pretty well recieved versions of this same recipe, but I've been sure to only get "pure" extracts, even though they cost more, and I've been using a little less of them.

"Pants are for guys with ugly legs"
Member of Clan McLotofus,
IBRSC# 1619,
As seen in Renaissance Magazine

Butch

Anyone ever heard of or tried Skittles vodka?  I'm making some right now, a mix of the yellow and green.  Pretty simple to make.  Have never tried it, but I imagine it's pretty good.  It's very popular around the college campuses right now (my son actually told me about it!)

Valiss

Quote from: Butch on September 01, 2010, 08:39:39 PM
Anyone ever heard of or tried Skittles vodka? I'm making some right now, a mix of the yellow and green. Pretty simple to make. Have never tried it, but I imagine it's pretty good. It's very popular around the college campuses right now (my son actually told me about it!)

I dont think I've heard of it. How is it made? Are you just soaking skittles in vodkas as the name implies?

Gauwyn of Bracknell

I recently made 3  - apple, hot cinnamon apple and key lime and all who tried, drank more.  Must have been success.
Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Lumpy

Quote from: Butch on September 01, 2010, 08:39:39 PM
Anyone ever heard of or tried Skittles vodka?  I'm making some right now, a mix of the yellow and green.  Pretty simple to make.  Have never tried it, but I imagine it's pretty good.  It's very popular around the college campuses right now (my son actually told me about it!)

A few years ago we made the rainbow of skittles vodka. Disolving each color from 2 1bl bags in a 5th of vodka. It is important to note you must strain out the wax. It is quite tasty.
Founder, MDRF Friends of Faire
Dread Pirate Lumpy
Lump'n M'Crack

Francisco Paula

The peppermint and chocolate loki we made we tried it just after a few weeks and its tastes great and the liqour flavor is calming down beautifully. We are going to throw together a batch of apple cinnamon, which i figure i will use apple juice or cider and cinnamon extract to try.

Now i have a question, if i wanted to make a carmel apple what would you suggest for the carmel flavoring since i have not found a carmel extract yet.

Valiss

Quote from: Sir Garath on September 07, 2010, 04:07:53 PM
The peppermint and chocolate loki we made we tried it just after a few weeks and its tastes great and the liqour flavor is calming down beautifully. We are going to throw together a batch of apple cinnamon, which i figure i will use apple juice or cider and cinnamon extract to try.

Now i have a question, if i wanted to make a carmel apple what would you suggest for the carmel flavoring since i have not found a carmel extract yet.

I havent even been able to find apple extract locally. But I would suggest you use a cin stick rather than the extract.

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Try Monin syrups - they have caramel syrup.  I know Amazon carries Monin products
Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Laird Fraser of Lovatt

A couple of cinnamon sticks... and only leave them in for a week or two.  Unless you are aiming for a more cinnamon flavor.
Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh
Alba gu brath
Laird of Dunans Castle
Warrior Poet/Loki God

Laird Fraser of Lovatt

We managed Mounds Bar this year... came out perfect.
Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh
Alba gu brath
Laird of Dunans Castle
Warrior Poet/Loki God

Blue66669

All the Monin flavors I've tried are just a little bit off. You may want to explore another brand, such as Torani.
Blaidd Drwg

Aiacha

There is also a brand called DaVinci.  I've only ever seen them at Sam's Club, but it's worth trying out.