News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Ack! Mockup catastrophe--can this be saved?

Started by gem, June 21, 2009, 03:36:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gem

I was cutting bones, and my hand slipped, and, well:

That's right at the top, where the front turns into armscye (exactly the point at which I need to fuss with the fitting the most, of course!).  This is only the mockup, but it did take HOURS, so I'd prefer to do something to save this, if I can.  The cut only goes through one boning channel.

Could I put a little canvas patch on the back, matched in size and overlapping by several inches?

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb...

Merlin

Anál nathrach- Breath of serpent
Orth' bháis 's bethad- Spell of death and of life
Do chél dénmha- Thy omen of making

mollymishap

OY!  I've done worse.  It's definitely mendable.  If it's just the mock-up and you don't mind a little extra bulk, just create a sandwich-patch of two pieces of the same fabric, lining up the grain so the ease will be the same on both sides and just re-stitch over the boning channels.  You could try just with one layer first and see how that holds out.

If that fabric isn't canvas to start, I wouldn't use canvas to avoid any problems with fitting that could arise from different materials.

Another thing you could do (which would be my first choice, since that really is a small cut) is put some bones in those channels that are cut and use some good ole fashioned sock darning techniques to avoid extra bulk.  Having the boning in the channels will prevent you from sewing through both layers.  This has the advantage of not adding bulk and you could just darn up until the seam allowance in the armscye, which you're going to end up clipping, anyway.

HTH!

Kate XXXXXX

I think Molly's darning is the best way forward.

operafantomet

I wouldn't worry too much about that cut. What you can to is to put a scrap piece in between the two layers* and zig-zag it on, to "glue together" the gap. You might wanna do the same around the boning channel, or you can stitch it together with solid stitches. This is probably easiest to do WITH boning, so you don't stitch the two layers together... I've tried that, it's not a good idea...  :D

*Better to have one layer "sandwiched" in between than adding one scrap piece on each side. The fewer layers, the better.

gem

UPDATE: And it took about 2 minutes. LOL   Got the cut fixed, sewed up one side, sewed the straps in place (thanks to Molly's ingenious insight in Sara's thread), and am waiting until Milord has a moment to help me fit.

Thanks!!

Actually, the bones + darning thing was exactly what I've been thinking.  I did slip the bones in place, and then looked and thought, "Well, heck.  I can just whipstitch this baby back together!"

Thanks!!

Held it up to myself, and I'm worried (about the fit).  Sigh.