News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

News from the Castle

Started by Lord Clisto of York, June 27, 2009, 10:37:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Clisto of York

Hello Everyone,

I hope everyone is doing well and having a great faire season so far. And, by the looks of many postings on here and other boards, it seems to be true. Lately, I have been getting some other things done before Bristol starts in a few weeks. Wish I could go to faire all the time but I can't. Real life does rear it head from time to time. But, through all of this, I did manage to make a great find when I have had a little time to get away. One of the things I do collect are "Meerschaum Pipes". Not only do they smoke cooler, burn tobacco more easily and go good with faire garb, they are also beautiful works of art which over time change color to bring out their wonderful carved detail. Not to mention, they are usually very expensive. Meerschaum is a compact massive variety of the mineral sepiolite, a hydrous magnesium silicate hydroxide hydrate and it is mainly found in Turkey and the Asian areas, although it is in other places around the world.

So far, I have five in my collection, three of which were brand new when I purchased them. And, most are all normal size from 6 to 8 inches in length. But, as I was up North this past Friday on some faire business, I stopped in at a few antique shops and found the beautiful pipe pictured in the links below.

http://www.sirclisto.com/pipe/pipe1.jpg
http://www.sirclisto.com/pipe/pipe2.jpg
http://www.sirclisto.com/pipe/pipe3.jpg
http://www.sirclisto.com/pipe/pipe4.jpg

And, it was the buy of a lifetime. This gorgeous Meerschaum pipe is 17" long from stem to beard, is very ornately carved and has never been smoked. A pipe like this, in most places, usually sells for over $600.00. This was in a cabinet and had been marked down several times from around $500.00 to a firm final price of only $75.00. I could not believe it. Suffice it to say, I had them open the cabinet, I looked it all over with my magnifying glass and am not the proud owner. I have yet to light it up, but I soon will. Anyone who knows pipes knows what I am talking about. Anyway, I wanted to post pictures of it here for any pipe or non-pipe lovers alike, just to show what a beautiful piece of artwork these pipes are. Can't wait to use it with some of my garb.

On another note, I am now in the process of preparing for the Bristol Ren Faire which is to open its season on July 11th. I do hope to see many of you there who can make it. I also have many other faires I will be doing from that point on. I will post my schedule here as well as some other boards. In the meantime, I hope that everyone's faire season is wonderful.  And, if anyone happens to be going to any that I will be at, make sure and let me know so we can possibly meet up. But for now, I am must be gone.

Dream the Dream and Live the Fantasy,

Lord Sir Clisto of York
Invictus Maneo - I Remain Unvanquished

Gwen aka Punstergal

Clisto, it's gorgeous!! I'm not a smoker, but I've always been awed by the intricacy of pipework. Congrats on your find, the antique gods must be in your favor this year :)
"Hell hath no fury like an enraged Gryphon Master"

Lord Clisto of York

H Gwen,

They sure must have been. I have had some good finds in my pipes before, but nothing compairs to this one. I still haven't smoked it for the first time yet. LOL..

Sir Clisto

Marietta Graziella

While I lived in Turkiye I sent meerschaum pipes as unique gifts to friends and family back home.  None were smokers but, as you said, they are beautiful and unusual works of art.  One that I sent was massive, it had Noah's Ark carved as the bowl.  Amazing.

Congrats on your fabulous find!
Nothing clever to say here.  Not enough caffine yet.

Lord Clisto of York

I know what you mean, Marietta. I have seen some extremely large ones. There was one last year some times that I saw online over 2 feet long with a full boat with sails on it. For the collector it was going for over $45,000.00. That's just nuts.. But I have seen some really old ones which merit high prices. Can only drool over them. LOL.... A few I do have are from Ankara, Turkey. One of the best places to get them in the world as you know. Wish you were living there now. LOL...

Clisto

Lord Clisto of York

This past Monday, on July 6th, our son Dustin turned the big 21. HUZZAH!!! Many of you have seen and met him from when he was real little and especially when he was made squire at court from the Queen back in 1997. He went out the night before with close friends at midnight to celebrate just after the hour. And before anyone asks, NO, he didn't get messed up. He and his close friends don't drink. They went out to shoot pool until closing and it is at a place you have to be 21. I was still up watching a movie when he came home and I wished him his happy day. We stayed up and talked about faire and some other things for a bit before he went to bed. Hopefully he will be able to have time off to get to faire with me this season. He has been going with me since the age of 5 and last year he could only go once due to school and work. He has school throughout the summer for College with a little break. He is designing and building video games as well as mixing video game music for them. We are very proud of him and what he has accomplished, but more for being a good clean adult. They really do grow up fast. Anyway, congratulations to him, and may there be many more to come. Now he gets to grow old like the rest of us. LOL

Here are a few pictures from the past and one present.

Bristol at Court - 1997

Last weekend with my parents - 2009

Tammy

Royal Protector of Raccoons, Mistress of the Poi, Best Friend of Windland/Nim, Guppy, Seamstress for The Feisty Lady.

Lord Clisto of York

Why thank you. Oh...you meant him!! LOL.. Now for the bad part. My wife is taking him in, in the morning, this Friday, to have oral surgery. All 4 wisdom teeth are coming out. What a way to celebrate a Bady week. I hope it all goes ok. Personally I have been thinkng about it all week.

renfairephotog

Good luck on the surgery. I hope he recovers fast.
Twenty seasons of covering renaissance  festivals. Photos/calendar/blog.
Fairy photographer