News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

First Timer - Need Advice

Started by Aelynn of Georgina, June 29, 2009, 06:25:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aelynn of Georgina

Hello!  I have always been interesting in garbing and attending faires, but have never had the time (or nerve) to go.  I am finally taking the plunge and have plans to attend my first Ren Faire.   I have made a costume (http://www.mccallpattern.com/item/M4490.htm?tab=costumes&page=5 - the bottom right, with the long sleeves).  I've added a little bit of simple trim around the collar and sleeves, but now that I read here, I realize it may be more appropriate for a Medieval Faire than Ren Faire.  My personal style leans more toward fantasy, but I don't want to be snarked, especially behind my back.  Is there anything I can do to add or alter (simply) this costume to make it more period appropriate? 

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!

Celtic_Fae

The nice thing about Renaissance faires is that there is a lot of fantasy there: fae, wizards, elves, we had Ents at ours this past year. I don't think you have to worry. Yes, at any faire there will be garb snarks. That is just a fact of life: there are mean-spirited people anywhere you go. But the main point is to find and surround yourself with good people and friends and to have fun (and STAY HYDRATED...lol).

Genievea Brookstone

Hi there! I wear a similar dress to this and was given more compliments than i would have imagined. I made a simple belt with the left over trim I had wore a simple rose necklace on a length of leather ,boots and a fan.

I will have to attach photos later.
Genievea Brookstone
Lost child of the Woods

Aelynn of Georgina

Thanks for the quick responses! I feel much better now.  I'll be sure to post pics after the faire. :)

Celtic Lady

The pattern has long sleeves that are very similar to the ones on my wedding dress that is being made. I like it.

Bonny Pearl

Snark schmark I say!  Faire IS fantasy.  Wear what you like and are most comfy in.  :)

Gypsy Wanderer
Kingdom of Onondaga
Order of the Hatchet
Landshark No.88

Lady Renee Buchanan

I bought that same pattern (and have been going to Renaissance Faires since 1980).  When I finally learn to sew - I've been talking about it for 3 years already - I plan to make that and wear it to our faire, which is Renaissance and not Medieval.  It's so pretty, enjoy yourself looking beautiful in it and have fun!   ;D
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

LadyShadow

I've debated about getting that pattern.  Or do I already own it?  Either way.  I usually just make whatever I like and want and everyone else can just kiss off.  I dont feel that I'm going to faire to impress someone or make them happy.  I'm going cuse I enjoy it.  So do what makes you happy.   And I cant wait to see finished pics.
May the stars always shine upon you and yours.

Royal Order of Landsharks Guppy # 98 :)

Genievea Brookstone

These aren't the best but gives you an idea what that dress looks like, though the sleeves on mine are 2 parts.  Sorry I don't have a better picture of the dress on.

Genievea Brookstone
Lost child of the Woods

Lady Anne Clare

That is a beautiful gown!  I love the color combination and the trim.
I love historical sewing for the lack of zippers ;)

Genievea Brookstone

Thank you!

I was really worried that when I made it that it was too *costume* like.  But many of the merchants and faire *cast* made lots of possitive comments on it so I was thrilled!
Genievea Brookstone
Lost child of the Woods

Auryn

Don't even worry about it.

the people that gripe about other ppl not being Historically accurate at faire are few and far between and not worth your time or thought.
I second the feeling that you should wear what you like and feel comfortable in.

Genievea
beautiful dress, love the trim.
Scissors cuts Paper. Paper covers Rock. Rock crushes Lizard. Lizard? poisons Spock. Spock smashes Scissors. Scissors dec

Sitara

I made that same dress, sans sleeves for my step-daughter. It is lovely and she receives many compliments when she wears it.
Beer wenches are the best wenches!

Anna Iram

I agree it really doesn't matter so long as you enjoy wearing it. Most faires have a mix of all different styles worn by fairgoers.

I'm posting this link to give you an idea of how you might trim it. You might also want to make a belt using the trim as a simple solution or if you are really feeling adventursome you could fashion a belt from beadwork and chain.

http://www.pearsonsrenaissanceshoppe.com/FairLadyDress.html

Have fun. :)

DragonWing

I agree with everyone else. Go as you want to go and enjoy. I go as a wizard and I have no problems doing so. I may try HA some time but right now I am good with my persona.  ;)
Dragon rider and mage,
(aka Vince)