News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Almost first timer

Started by Jademozingo, July 01, 2009, 05:03:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jademozingo

I have been to the ky faire two times this summer and have decided that I want to dress in garb from now on when I go.  I already made a shirt for my boyfriend http://www.simplicity.com/dv1_v4.cfm?design=3519 it is the one on the top right and is also in green linen.

When I bought the fabric for my own I bought what I thought looked brown linen in store, out of store it is a dark plum/eggplant color.  Am I going to be given much crap about that?  I am also working on a bodice that is the same green as his shirt.

I am working on my son's white lace up shirt as well (he's three) in a very light cotton.

This is all obviously just to start, not my dream bodice (that I'm working on over the winter)  or my bf's chain mail (good luck on that), or my son's captain jack or knight costume.

Any advice?

Jade

bellevivre

the 'purple only for royals' is a myth, and I highly doubt anyone will accost you for it- and, unfortunately, the 'royal' purple is a bright screaming purple, so no worry there!

yay you for using linen! It will breathe so well- you will love wearing it! it also gets soo soft after being washed and dried- some people like to iron and starch it, but I love teh soft drape of it- I have a linen chemise which is my absolute favourite piece of summer garb because it's cool, and soft, and pretty!

please post pictures! we'd love to see!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Belle the Kat

Clan Procrastination's Ambassador to the Seelie & UnSeelie Courts

Trillium

Yeah, don't worry about the purple issue.  It's one of my favorite colors so I wear it often and have never been given any difficulties. 

Congratulations on your new addiction!  Now that you've started garbing, you will never stop!  Next thing you know you will be dedicating closets solely to your collection! ;D :o
Got faerie dust?

gem

Purple and green look FABULOUS together!

The whole "purple for royals" thing seems to have started as 1.)A misinterpretation of period sumptuary laws, combined with 2.)Some fairs' use of purple garb to clearly identify their royal cast to the patrons.

Don't sweat it.  Nobody's going to mistake a purple linen shirt for royal garb.  :D  But you will LOOOOOOVE wearing it!

Lady Neysa

I love that dark plum color.  My daughter has a skirt that color and I wish it would fit me. 

Margaret

Shoot - I'm nearly done with my screaming purple, dupioni silk gown. 

It's purrrrdyyyyy.
;D
Mistress Margaret Baynham
The Sweete Ladye
IWG #1656 MCL
wench.org (IWG forums)
ibrsc.org (IBRSC forums)

Jademozingo

Thanks, all I have to really go on is what I find on the internet and well...you know the kind of myths you can find on here posing as reality.  I was kind of dissapointed because I thought it was brown and had planned around it being brown, but with a few minor changes I think it will work better anyways.  I will post a photo when I'm all done.  This season I'm subbing a chemise looking nightgown I got at victoria secret ages ago until I can make one.  Between my things and the shirts for the two guys I'm a bit overwhelmed!

Thanks
Jade

Margaret

Quote from: Jademozingo on July 04, 2009, 10:53:08 AM
Thanks, all I have to really go on is what I find on the internet and well...you know the kind of myths you can find on here posing as reality. 

Well - the 'purple for royalty only' is not really a myth in the world of Ren Faires.  As Gem said, it is used by most faires to identify their Royalty.  The general public expects that royality = purple, so that's why the use of it is restricted for the cast members of that faire.

The shade of purple you have should not raise any eyebrows or comments and, as a paying customer of the faire, noone can stop you from wearing any color you wish.
Mistress Margaret Baynham
The Sweete Ladye
IWG #1656 MCL
wench.org (IWG forums)
ibrsc.org (IBRSC forums)

CapnFayeCutler

No worries, Jade. I frequent the KY Faire and the cast are very friendly. I highly doubt anyone will give you flack about wearing eggplant or any other shade of purple. Hope that helps. ^_^
Slack'n Penny -  Chieftess, Clan Byrne of the IPB
IFRP# 1264 IWG #3575
RoOL 26 | Castleteer | ETTE

Jademozingo

Thanks! As I'm getting closer to finishing I'm really thinking that I like the combination. It's turning out well, and I am cutting out my son's shirt tomorrow.

Jade