News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

so how was the first day?

Started by duffy, July 04, 2009, 07:30:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

duffy

didnt get to go opening day, or weekend for that matter. i will be there next saturday though with my wife for a renewal of vows. my parents are also going and in garb also. hope to see you there.

Aaroncois

It was wonderful! A little chilly for the kids (whose garb isn't as heavy as my wife and mine), and it looked to me that the dark skies might have contributed to even fewer people than typical for opening day. But the place was in great shape, the talent was in fine form, and we had a very very nice time. Best of all, Giacomo and Lucy were there, without whom the place just doesn't feel quite right to me. He hinted at one point that they might be there on an expanded basis next year, which would be really great.

Overall, a big thumbs-up for Sterling 2009!

irish

Will Lucy be there next Saturday????????????????????
irish~ren ~
Cruise Director ~
Clan O'Doinn (Sterling) ~
Irish Penny Brigade (New York)

Tazworth

Carl and Lynda are only there this weekend. Starting next year they will again be on full season runs with the whole band on a 3 year contract.
Brett aka Tazworth
Founder of Family of Faire

Aaroncois

Quote from: Tazworth on July 04, 2009, 09:25:26 PM
Carl and Lynda are only there this weekend. Starting next year they will again be on full season runs with the whole band on a 3 year contract.

No kidding?? That's excellent news! I mean, it worked fine this year because they happened to be there on the weekend we preferred to go anyway, but last year I missed them completely (by not realizing that they were only there for a single weekend). I don't know what happened to result in them no longer being regulars these two years, but if it's been resolved then Huzzah!

I picked up a couple of the Empty Hats albums today. I hope they're as good as the Double Indemnity stuff I already own. That's some darn well-crafted music there.

irish

:o  I can't get there this weekend........ :'(

Taz, I sent u renmail....... :)
irish~ren ~
Cruise Director ~

Lady Rebecca

I had sooo much fun! I think the highlight of my day was seeing Don Juan and Miguel's last show -I'm glad my bodice wasn't any tighter, or I think I would have passed out from laughing so much. And I missed them at Scarborough, so I'm so glad I got to see them here!

I felt the weather was perfect, though a couple of my friends were in their mundanes, and I think they felt a little cold.

I loved that, despite the high entrance fee, a lot of the stuff inside was way cheaper! I had fun at the archery, despite being really rusty, and I picked up a big bag of kettle corn on my way out. The chess match was fun, and Wolgemut was fantastic! I felt like there was so much to do that I need to go back. I may have two other opportunities this summer, and if so, I will definitely be heading back up there, despite the long drive. I think Sterling is my new favorite faire!

And my fourth was wonderful - England for most of the day, but topped off by listening to 1776 in the car, fireworks along the drive on the way home, and a surprise showing of 1776 on TCM last night!

Aaroncois

Quote from: Lady Rebecca on July 05, 2009, 09:59:55 AM
The chess match was fun, and Wolgemut was fantastic! I felt like there was so much to do that I need to go back.

Hey, we were at the chess match, too! My daughter was one of the pawns. Viva Espana! :D

Yeah, one trip isn't nearly enough to take in everything. You could easily spend half the day just browsing the merchants, half the day (or all the day) listening to music (most of the bands do different sets at each performance), a full day watching various other staged performances, and a half-day or more just walking around eating and drinking and watching the improvised lane performances. So add that up and you've got, what... 2.5-3 days worth of solid entertainment, assuming you didn't see anything twice. And that's not even counting the special stuff that goes on for the various "event" weekends. It's easy to see why some folks get a season pass!

Dorian Mallory

The weather was awesome for the opening weekend, not hot, nor cold, nor rain.   It is too bad my wife and I are not planning to go until later this year.  For anyone who went this weekend, my wife wanted to know if the aerialists were there again this year?

Xantrawler

We will be going for the first time this year. We have wanted to go in the past but one thing or the other has always came up. This year I saw the renewal of vows and knew, this was the year to go. So next weekend the wife and I will be there and at 1:30 on Saturday we will join with the other 49 couples. We are excited and looking forward to it.

Lady Rebecca

Quote from: Aaroncois on July 05, 2009, 11:33:37 AM
Quote from: Lady Rebecca on July 05, 2009, 09:59:55 AM
The chess match was fun, and Wolgemut was fantastic! I felt like there was so much to do that I need to go back.

Hey, we were at the chess match, too! My daughter was one of the pawns. Viva Espana! :D
Naturally, I was FOR ENGLAND! :)

By the way, I found out today that I will have July 19th off, so I will definitely be back! I may get Aug 2nd off as well.

irish

WWWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!  ;D
I was able to get to faire today, afterall!
I finally met SterlingFan and photomike! So glad I met you both! :)
Taz, I saw you with the carriage, but lost sight of you after that. I will trip you up, next time!!  ::) LOL!
I was so happy to see "Looney Lucy"! She gives the best hugs!! I think it is wonderful, she will be back full time!

SirDouglas~ FANTASTIC job on the new buildings! You have really taken suggestions to heart and you have made the faire feeling like home, once again!! Thank you!!!!!

See you all in 2 weeks at faire. Have the family brawl to attend..... :o

irish
irish~ren ~
Cruise Director ~

Aaroncois

Quote from: Dorian Mallory on July 05, 2009, 01:51:39 PM
my wife wanted to know if the aerialists were there again this year?

Nope. Didn't see them and they're not listed among the performers.

duffy

Quote from: Xantrawler on July 05, 2009, 02:29:39 PM
We will be going for the first time this year. We have wanted to go in the past but one thing or the other has always came up. This year I saw the renewal of vows and knew, this was the year to go. So next weekend the wife and I will be there and at 1:30 on Saturday we will join with the other 49 couples. We are excited and looking forward to it.

we are in the 1:30 group also, as is someone else on here, though it slips my mind who at this moment. i am easily spotted just look for the bald tattooed guy in the kilt.

duffy

Tygrkat is the one who will also be there last i knew.