News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

A question about refunds

Started by Lorraine, July 05, 2009, 12:41:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lorraine

The girl I made the striped bodice for just messaged me saying her costume director said it was more of a corset and therefore not approved for the fair. She's asking if she can return it for a refund and can I give it to another customer. The problem is it's custom made for her measurements and she also picked the fabric and approved the design. I'm not really sure I could get much on ebay for a 27" waist 37" bust bodice. She paid $100 shipped for it, and theres probably about $50 worth of materials in it and another $10 for the shipping. She had wanted a basic front lacing bodice, but I didn't think that would be enough support for someone so well endowed, so I recommended this style to her and she agreed. I'm not really sure what to do, I don't want to leave her with something she can't use, but on the other hand I can't really afford to take a loss for it (I'm disabled with no income at the moment). If anyone has a solution to this I would love to hear it. Here's the picture of the bodice in question. Thanks

Mairghread

Most places will not refund for custom work unless it doesn't fit or has some other actual problem with the garment, rather than her not checking to make sure it fits within the costumer's guidelines.  I would tell her sorry, if she doesn't want it she should try to resell it herself.

sealion

It's not your fault she didn't get it approved by her costume director *before* it was made so she shouldn't expect a refund. That said, you might offer to alter it *at her expense* into something the director will approve. Would adding tabs to the shoulders and waist and/or some trim across the top and down the center front do the trick?
Cindy/Ciana Leonardi di Firenze/Captain Cin

Seamus Ex Machina

Absolutely not.   Custom work is a one off product, done.  It's unfortunate, but it is not your fault.  Might want to get something in writing next time.  If not, let future customers know in plain, declarative, monosyllabic English that you will not do custom work at friends prices with the understanding that they can renege  if their circumstances change.

Very nice work, by the way....
Legendary Hellraiser

LadyShadow

Very nice work.  But I agree with everyone else.  Custom work is custom work and not a general sale item.
May the stars always shine upon you and yours.

Royal Order of Landsharks Guppy # 98 :)

Joyce "Delfinia DuSwallow" Howard

I would tell her its what she approved, yes maybe see if theres anything you can do to change it but its not your fault she didn't know what she could or couldn't wear. Having my own company I always try to make the customer happy but you can only go so far.If she doesn't want it let HER put it on EBAY and sell it to try and get her money back. GOOD LUCK
MDRF Dandy  "Delfinia DuSwallow"
Sun'n Penny - Clan O'Morda
LandShark #71
Maker of Buttery Nipples

gem

I'll bet she can sell it a lot more easily than you might think.  Those are my measurements, so I know we're out there!!

That said, I agree with the others:  Offer to make changes/additions at her expense + her shipping.  You may even go so far as to offer suggestions that will make it more historically accurate (like sleeves and tabs), so it has a better chance of being approved.  Or... she probably needs a corset anyway, right?  So why can't she just wear it UNDER whatever costume her director approves?

Kate XXXXXX

I work on a strictly custom basis and there are no refunds except where work is faulty.  This is standard industry practice.  I'm thinking of adding it to my contract.  Please do no further work without a contract in place: it's for YOUR protection as much as that of the customer.

My contract can be seen here: http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk/KatePages/HowToGet/kate_dicey_contract.htm

It's due for an update to include work done on a postal basis and the note about no refunds on custom orders.

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

I concur with with everyone here, Lorraine. Custom is more labor intensive that what can be purchased at a Faire vendor.

Next time when you do a bodice for someone who works at a faire, have them submit to you a photo or sketch of what would easily be approved. That way, you will not have this issue again.

If there is something I did that was not quite right, I fix it at my cost. There is always something that is a bit off like a sloping shoulder, one breast larger than the other, sloped back, bigger head circumfrence, etc. We do the BEST work we can do.
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

operafantomet

I agree with what everyone else has said (how original...)

First I think you should explain to her that SHE approved it and should have checked with the faire about what they approve and not. In nice words, obviously.

Second, I think you should offer to alter it (at her expense) by adding shoulder decorations, tabs, a lace in the neck opening, front lacing, broad trims or whatever the fair prefers.

Third, you could suggest ways of wearing it that would look rather historical plausible and not like a corset (I don't see how the standard, inaccurate front laced bodices without boning can be more correct than the one you've made, but that's another discussion...). What about tie-on sleeves and a skirt matching the sleeves, or a chemise underneath and a skirt matching the bodice? Cause the item alone can be worn in many different ways.

At any rate, this shouldn't be your problem (especially not economically!), and I think the buyer needs to know that. Be nice, but be clear about it. I hope you'll come up with a solution that suits you both.

Cilean

I began working Faires back in 1985, we were told, if you are making something have it approved, so you don't waste your money and someone's time.  With this said?  If you had botched the job, one matter, if you had not had her approve the design and the fabrics before you made this bodice, another matter, but you did your due diligence, you did what your client asked, and well.  It was up to her to make sure her choice fit into her guilds restrictions.   I do not think you should have to take this piece back because of your Purchaser did not do her own diligence and get this approved.

But it is up to you and how you want to have things done.  But really it was your time and effort.

Cilean

Lady Cilean Stirling
"Looking Good is not an Option, It is a Necessity"
My Motto? Never Pay Retail