News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Where to Stay??

Started by Ryk Rakham, July 11, 2009, 02:01:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryk Rakham

I know this one has been discussed many times, but this is our first time to make the 7 hour trip 3 times in one year and we missed last year. We want to stay close, but avoid the roach motels! We've stayed in Conroe and that might be okay, although it is a bit of a drive in the mornings. Just any suggestions from those who have stayed in hotel/motels recently. We are going opening weekend, highland weekend, and friday and saturday of closing. We thought about camping one night, but have never done that. Thanks for any ren-advice.
Ryk Rakham, scourge of the Red River
Rhyk Dragonfang

Jezz the Belle, scourge of the scourge
Lady Sherry

isisdy

Personally I would advise that you camp there. You will enjoy it greatly and it does add a completely different aspect on the whole ren-fair experience.

Bonny Pearl

There is a new LaQuinta in Magnolia.  That is an option.  There are also a couple of hotels in Tomball.  These are the closest areas to faire I believe.  Camping is a great way to go!

Gypsy Wanderer
Kingdom of Onondaga
Order of the Hatchet
Landshark No.88

Yrose

I've stayed at the La Quinta in Tomball and it's nice. Not a bad drive if you go to faire around cannon and either leave early or visit camp after fireworks for the traffic to die down. Camping or at least visiting camp does add a whole new side to faire.
Don't forget to smell the roses, but watch out for the thorns!

Sir Martin

Quote from: Bonny Pearl on July 11, 2009, 02:18:44 PM
There is a new LaQuinta in Magnolia.  That is an option.  There are also a couple of hotels in Tomball.  These are the closest areas to faire I believe.  Camping is a great way to go!

Is the La Quinta in Magnolia open yet?  I went to their web site and didn't see it listed.   ???

Queen Bonnie

I used to stay at the Super 8 in Navasota.  Only a 30 min drive to faire. Lots of rennies stay there.
Wingardium Leviosa!
Tis not the length of the staff- but the magick there in!

Bonny Pearl

Quote from: Sir Martin on July 11, 2009, 11:50:55 PM
Quote from: Bonny Pearl on July 11, 2009, 02:18:44 PM

Is the La Quinta in Magnolia open yet?  I went to their web site and didn't see it listed.   ???

About a month ago I went by it and it was still under construction.  It looks like it should be finished pretty soon.  It is located on FM1488 at the FM2978 intersection.  Right where phase 1 of the expansion of FM1488 stopped.

Gypsy Wanderer
Kingdom of Onondaga
Order of the Hatchet
Landshark No.88

DonaCatalina

We have stayed at the La Quinta in Tomball. It is nice.
We have also stayed at the Best Western Lake Conroe. Since it was brand new it had issues.
But the benefit of staying north of TRF is the lighter traffic coming and going.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

LadyJessica

Quote from: Yrose on July 11, 2009, 10:23:44 PM
I've stayed at the La Quinta in Tomball and it's nice. Not a bad drive if you go to faire around cannon and either leave early or visit camp after fireworks for the traffic to die down. Camping or at least visiting camp does add a whole new side to faire.

Just remember that if you're hoteling but want to visit the campgrounds you need to enter at the camping entrance not the main entrance.  If you park in the main entrance you have to exit the parking area and re-enter through the camping area and that would just defeat the purpose of letting traffic die down before leaving.
Loki GODDESS
Lady-in-Lacing to QOE
FOKTOP
Director of Social Tourture for the Empire
Gneaitheas Gnomie (DG#290)

Ryk Rakham

Just remember that if you're hoteling but want to visit the campgrounds you need to enter at the camping entrance not the main entrance.  If you park in the main entrance you have to exit the parking area and re-enter through the camping area and that would just defeat the purpose of letting traffic die down before leaving.
[/quote]

That's what happened 2 years ago. We were going to visit the campgrounds for our first time (there was a planned meal/party that we were going to meet you all at last) but got swept up in traffic and ended up going back to Conroe.
Ryk Rakham, scourge of the Red River
Rhyk Dragonfang

Jezz the Belle, scourge of the scourge
Lady Sherry

Breandan

Option 1, the Decadent: Any number of hotels in the area
Option 2, the Playtron: Camping in Patrons, but amongst others you know and at a safe distance from the bonfire
Option 3, the Die-Hard: Same as above, but within keg-shrapnel range of the bonfire... I do not recommend this one if you want sleep
Option 4, the Lush: Whatever flat surface- or relatively flat surface of a sufficiently gentle slope or grade that you do not slide down it into the unknown- that you happen to pass out upon once the ability to stagger has been purged from your body by a near-fatal blood-alcohol level. This one is common.
Option 5, the TwEaK!!- Remain awake for the entire weekend, saving money by removing the need to sleep through regular infusions of near-fatal levels of caffeine that cause you to be so amped up that you can literally see through time. Common among gamers away from faire, also notorious for causing both red-shift Doppler effect as one spins out of control and reaches near-luminal velocities, and the occasional case of spontaneous human combustion.
Author, bladesmith, and fuzzy teddybear.

"I've fought my wars and drank my mead in this life, the afterlife for me will be one endless renaissance festival with an old-school tabletop game store the size of a Costco next door ;D " - me

Queen Bonnie

Options 2-5 are too much for a wizard of my age!
I go for Option 6!
Stay with dear friends who have adopted me-
and live near faire! They want me again this year too!  Bless them!
Wingardium Leviosa!
Tis not the length of the staff- but the magick there in!

Lady Laura

Breandan, that should be included in the official TRF information!  Too funny! And too true!
"Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk."
-Sir Francis Chichester

LadyShadow

Oh my.  It never ceases with you huh?  When is your book coming out?
May the stars always shine upon you and yours.

Royal Order of Landsharks Guppy # 98 :)

Breandan

The sci-fi trilogy I am working on, or the tell-all on rennie habits? The latter will get me bound by chains and dumped into the pond with the three-headed catfish at faire by many who's dirty secrets I would expose  ;D
As for the former, well, it breaks down thusly-
Official answer: I am reviewing whether to submit each book singularly, or the entire trilogy at once, both of which have pros and cons.
Actual answer: when I get off my weed puller and finish it  :D

Author, bladesmith, and fuzzy teddybear.

"I've fought my wars and drank my mead in this life, the afterlife for me will be one endless renaissance festival with an old-school tabletop game store the size of a Costco next door ;D " - me