News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Munchausen Syndrome

Started by Welsh Wench, July 24, 2009, 09:54:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Julianne

I majored in Clinical Psychology initially.
I couldn't maintain the amount of "acceptance" that was required.  Maybe that was because of my lack of compassion of "what ifers".  Eventually, my degree was Industrial Psychology...yeah it is what it is - Profiling.

That old law of for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction...I might have embraced the opposite side. ;)
I disdain hospitals and those who find comfort in them.
I won't take a pill unless I absolutely have to.

Self-diagnosis is okay when we are talking about illnesses that are very common and very treatable with over the counter medication.  This is good.

WW, initially your relative sounds a tad hypochondrical.   However, it could also be a situation of better insurance bringing a more efficient outcome through hospital visits.  The two concepts are worlds apart.
In another thread I believe there is an interesting conversation about that.
My opinion on that is:  In the USA I'd love to see everyone (legal or not) receiving the same quality of health care and charged based on their ability to do so.  No income should not be relative to quality of healthcare received.

Mental illness in this country is still mostly perceived as a characteristic flaw.
I learned through education that my Mothers "flaws" are because of her mental illness.  Otherwise, I'm sure she would have been a wonderful mother and grandmother.

I still try to count my blessings with her as my Mother.  It's the right thing to do.

Anna Iram

I think it's something we all have within us. My mother, too, learned to be a victim and to garner sympathy early on in life. Not to this degree, but in other ways equally harmful ways. I think it was the only way for her to get attention and to feel loved. It's difficult for me to connect with her because I so don't want to be like that and it hurts to see someone hurting themselves. I do try to remember that the people that come into our lives serve as a mirror to help guide us onto better paths. Anyway, that's how I chose to see it.

The whole internet thing...I guess folks use forums for all kind of reasons. There's lot's of wonderful people out there and Lot's of screwballs. You just have to trust your instincts and not let your guard down too much.

Julianne

Munchausen Syndrome can come in varying degrees.  Some people feel the need to broadcast their ailments all the time to receive sympathy.
And when one illness is explained another pops up.  They often lie about this test and that test being performed to discover the most modern ailment.
This is different then hypochondria.  Most hypochondriacs suffer in silence with the exception to their doctors.
And this is all very different then people just trying to live off the government tit.

Munchausen Syndrome affects EVERYONE.   Everyone has to be told and everyone has to come to the "aid" of the supposed sufferer.  And they will actually receive valuable medication then not take it.  And in the case of most....continue to do the things that they've been told not to do....and then in the worst case scenarios...ingest caustic substances.

It is interesting that most Munchausen Syndrome by Proxy persons will be more then happy to pour those caustic substances down the throats of their own children. Munchausen Proxy persons don't seem to ever be afflicted by the disease directly.

Go ahead and ask me what I think of MSbyP?

Anna Iram

1) So... what do you think of MSbyP?

2) The Government has a tit? Must sit in the ovary office... :D

groomporter

Quote from: Julianne on July 27, 2009, 02:46:35 PM
Mental illness in this country is still mostly perceived as a characteristic flaw.

Yeah it's odd that some insurance companies will only pay for so much mental health care, but will pay 100's of thousands for your heart -even though the statistics are that the number of people who don't change their lifestyles after a heart attack are reportedly to be about the same percentage as people who don't deal with their mental health issues after being diagnosed.
When you die can you donate your body to pseudo-science?

Julianne

Well...since you asked.

I'm a huge proponet of capital punishment when it comes to crimes against children.

Julianne

Quote from: groomporter on July 27, 2009, 03:35:55 PM
Quote from: Julianne on July 27, 2009, 02:46:35 PM

Yeah it's odd that some insurance companies will only pay for so much mental health care, but will pay 100's of thousands for your heart -even though the statistics are that the number of people who don't change their lifestyles after a heart attack are reportedly to be about the same percentage as people who don't deal with their mental health issues after being diagnosed.

Heart ailments due to bad behavior are assuredly a self imposed death sentence as prescribed by health professionals and COMMON SENSE.

Mental illness can cause bad behavior but can't be directly linked to professional misdiagnosis.

Muffin

I read (and have re-read several times) a really great and fascinating book called - Sickened, by Julie Gregory about her childhood and teen years as a victim of Munchhausen by Proxy.

This disease intrigues me as well as saddens me..
A Captains Wench

It's always Beer:30 here....

*sigh* So many kilts, so little time......

Ette

LadyElizabeth

I'm kind of amazed to here there are people even on these forums that have folks who had these diseases...  I didn't realize how common they were.  I am so sorry to hear you had to deal with this so close to home!

My aunt on my moms side has a bad case of hypochondria, and honestly she might be bordering on munchausen's disease!!  She is constantly getting sick, and although I really don't think she directly makes herself sick, her belief in being sick really truly MAKES her sick.  She never lived near us though, she lived up in Kansas my whole life.  My mom said she used to like being sick as a kid to get the attention.  My mom was more the favored child unless the sister was sick and then she got the attention....  Maybe that's how it starts for many people.
Queen Elizabeth the 1st
Champagne the Bubbly
Bubbles the Fairy
Frost the Arctic Barbarian
Red the pirate

Julianne

It's very important that everyone here understands the difference between wanting attention and the descent into mental illness.

Everyone wants to noticed.  Everyone wants attention.
This is a very normal and very human emotion. It makes you human and very sane.
You need not feel bad or ashamed or guilty for this.  This is normal.

We are talking about a condition that affects every breath you take and consumes daily life. 

Charlotte Rowan

Quote from: LadyElizabeth on July 27, 2009, 04:26:38 PM
I'm kind of amazed to here there are people even on these forums that have folks who had these diseases...  I didn't realize how common they were.  I am so sorry to hear you had to deal with this so close to home!

My aunt on my moms side has a bad case of hypochondria, and honestly she might be bordering on munchausen's disease!!  She is constantly getting sick, and although I really don't think she directly makes herself sick, her belief in being sick really truly MAKES her sick.  She never lived near us though, she lived up in Kansas my whole life.  My mom said she used to like being sick as a kid to get the attention.  My mom was more the favored child unless the sister was sick and then she got the attention....  Maybe that's how it starts for many people.

I used to suffer from an anxiety disorder that manifested primarily as hypochondria. Any time I had "flu-like symptoms," I was convinced I had cancer. I suffered for many, many years of mental anguish (from about age 8 until age 20) without any kind of treatment because mental health conditions simply were not as widely known as they are now. My parents were aware of and deeply concerned by my suffering never thought to mention it to my doctor. I in no way blame them - They did take me to a psychologist once, and even he didn't ask the right questions. Clearly, hypochondria is different from Munchausen's, but my point is that it had nothing to do with wanting or needing attention. Something went wrong in my brain, who knows why or when or how, and just like an ear infection or sinusitis, it needed to be fixed with medication. I no longer take the medication, and I am fine.

I am deeply disturbed by the way some people still perceive mental health conditions as character flaws. I am deeply disturbed by people who joke that they "are OCD" because they wash their hands a lot or are particular about certain things. My mother did suffer from OCD, but a) it did not define her (it's generally [referable to say someone HAS a condition or SUFFERS FROM a condition) and b) OCD is very serious and way more complicated than washing your hands a lot, which is simply good hygiene.

Sorry. Rant over.....
Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.