News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

WordPress MU experience?

Started by John, July 25, 2009, 11:43:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John

Are you an experienced user of WordPress MU?

I'd like to replace the R/F homepage.
Would you be willing to help some?

iain robb

We're working with an outside company right now to convert 500-plus PHP-coded websites into 500-plus Wordpress MU blogs. While I am -- thankfully -- not doing any coding, I'm involved in the specs and the testing and the design and all that fun stuff.

That count?

If so, I'd be willing to help.

John

I think that counts.  PM me with your number and when I can call.  Thanks :)

theChuck

john, im just wondering why you're thinking of wordpress mu. are you gonna start having some sort of personalized blogs for people? what sort of changes are you going for?

if i can be of help, please let me know. ive maintained my own wordpress install for years and ive got plenty of coding exp.

edit: before you go changing everything, know that wordpress mu will not be around for much longer; see this link. they're merging the mu code into the main wordpress install.
The Renlist - find faires near you!

John

Quote from: theChuck on August 01, 2009, 09:09:47 PM
john, im just wondering why you're thinking of wordpress mu. are you gonna start having some sort of personalized blogs for people? what sort of changes are you going for?

if i can be of help, please let me know. ive maintained my own wordpress install for years and ive got plenty of coding exp.

edit: before you go changing everything, know that wordpress mu will not be around for much longer; see this link. they're merging the mu code into the main wordpress install.
Hi theChuck :)

I appreciate your continued support.

Iain Robb also warned that MU functionality might be overkill.
I don't want just anyone to be able to start their blog on renaissancefestival.com.  *spammer heaven*
Instead bloggers will be added in a logical fashion by the Editor.

Thanks for the heads up on MU merging with the common WordPress install.
We can hold off and plan to install that version.  There's no rush.

The RenaissanceFestival.com home page gets no love and that's a waste.
We're not using the home page.  I think it's because Joomla with all it's power comes with more complexity than we can handle.  I think WordPress has improved usability.
A plugin that makes the homepage list all the bloggers post snippets in a stream is desired. (aggregator)
And we need a link to the forum.

I feel bad cause Tom just synced the Joomla content management system login that runs the homepage with the forum logins.
We need a mod to WordPress's login saying that the forum login/registration is separate.  We had a lot of confusion with the forum and Joomla till Tom sync'ed them.

Gimmie a call or we can bat ideas around with DB and Tom in chat.

John
972-259-8081

theChuck

when i try to hit the chat, it says "You can't access the chat." do i not use my forum login?

John

It lets me right in while logged into the forum.
Maybe if you log out and come back in it will work.

theChuck

huh, no dice. i tried it i ie as well. do i need to have a joomla login?

John

Quote from: theChuck on August 02, 2009, 04:27:26 PM
huh, no dice. i tried it i ie as well. do i need to have a joomla login?

You're not supposed to need to.